Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I replaced my mudguards also this week. I am surprised they lasted really huge mileage this time, I reckon around 17 to 20k km (I use the Cruds Mk2) and it is my third set. They are probably the best upgrade to my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Frame arrived today,so threw a few parts on it to get a rolling chassis.
    IMAG0386.jpg

Only copped the name on the tag tonight.
    IMAG0387.jpgIMAG0389.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Replaced the bearings on a integrated headset. There had been a bit of play/rocking in the headset which turned out to be down to wear in the old head set bearing cartridges. Occured after less than 4000Km, some trips were quite wet so a good bit of rust to be seen inside the head tube.

The replacement parts were sourced from CSS - Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght - stainless steel at €13 each, easy to fit. Will see how long these last.

ACB 36X45 1 1/8 Inch 41mm Diameter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Thats a fantastic looking frame tax man, all I did with my bike this morning was walk past it on my way to the train station!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

So the reflecty bits have nearly all washed off my Polaris jacket so I scavanged a hi-vis vest and sewed new ones on.

Onto the jacket, my gloves, overshoes and heels of my shoes... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

joxerjohn wrote: »

The replacement parts were sourced from CCS in Tallaght - stainless steel at €13 each, easy to fit. Will see how long these last.

Do you have contact information for CCS - I did a search and can only see entries for childcare organisations ...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

route66 wrote: »
    Do you have contact information for CCS - I did a search and can only see entries for childcare organisations ...

Not sure if sarcastic or troll, but it's CSS-cycle superstore.

Sorry should have said CSS - Cycle Super Store. Workshop always very helpful and carry lots of spares. In my case brought in the old bearings they matched them for me and gave me the new ones saying if I has any trouble just to bring them back to them. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

New bar tape :-)

298771.jpg

Decided to service the hubs before the build starts :).

13222617524_15ea5da1ef_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Seweryn wrote: »
    Decided to service the hubs before the build starts :).

13222617524_15ea5da1ef_z.jpg

Very nice hubs - 7400, 8 speeds. Looking forward to seeing the build.

letape wrote: »
    Very nice hubs - 7400, 8 speeds. Looking forward to seeing the build.
    Thanks Letape.

They are actually 7700-series. Are they pretty? I thik so :). I will update on the build soon. Just awaiting all the remaining bits.

Thanks Letape.

They are actually 7700-series. Are they pretty? I thik so :). I will update on the build soon. Just awaiting all the remaining bits.

9 speed build so? Yep very pretty! Sometimes you just can't beat traditional looking parts. I had a set of those built on a pair of Ambrosio Durex rims a good few years ago. They were lovely wheels. Good luck with the build.

9 speed build so? Yep very pretty! Sometimes you just can't beat traditional looking parts. I had a set of those built on a pair of Ambrosio Durex rims a good few years ago. They were lovely wheels. Good luck with the build.
    Thank you. Yes, the freehub was originally designed as a 9-speed, but is compatible with 8, 9 and 10-speed systems as far as I know.
    Will start the build next weekend hopefully. How hard can it be...

Sold it. :-( but out with the old and all that.......

Thank you. Yes, the freehub was originally designed as a 9-speed, but is compatible with 8, 9 and 10-speed systems as far as I know.
    Will start the build next weekend hopefully. How hard can it be...

Hi Seweryn I have a similar looking set of Ultegra 6500 Hubs that I was think of building wheelset from so I would be very interested in how you get on.

What rims and spokes do you plan to use ?

Hi Seweryn I have a similar looking set of Ultegra 6500 Hubs that I was think of building wheelset from so I would be very interested in how you get on.

What rims and spokes do you plan to use ?

Hi John,

I am planning to use H Plus Son Archetype silver rims, Sapim Laser front and non drive side rear, Sapim Race on drive side rear, laced 2x cross front and 3x cross rear, brass silver nipples.

I will update once they are built.

Great look forward to that !

Great look forward to that !
    Thanks, I will update when the project is finished ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Installed new brake inserts on bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Unstickyfied both brake callipers. It looked like salt and dirt had made the joints a lot less slipppery until they seized up. Had to dissasemble them completely to get all the crap out. Put a drop of chain lube in the joints to help the washers slide better and now the callipers work like new.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tried that once. Never got the knack of getting the springs back in place.

Battled to see if the bloody thing will ever be delivered or whether it's been discontinued and I've just tied up €1500 in what is becoming an ever increasingly stressful purchase.

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Battled to see if the bloody thing will ever be delivered or whether it's been discontinued and I've just tied up €1500 in what is becoming an ever increasingly stressful purchase.

What bike are you buying?

What bike are you buying?

Planet X rt57

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Tried that once. Never got the knack of getting the springs back in place.

Was afraid of that at first also but it turned out to be quite easy. When you take off the outer pivot arm it exposes a hex bolt head. That can help undo the spring retaining nut on the other side. Once the outer arm and the retainer nut are off the spring is under no tension and can be just taken out or put back easily. Geting the outer pivot arm back requires some finger strenght and taking out the adjustment screw can aslo help.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Might have another bash at it so. I've already had to send them into a shop once this winter to get unseized and they're sticking again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Might have another bash at it so. I've already had to send them into a shop once this winter to get unseized and they're sticking again now.

todo_list ++ for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

So, not all done today but....

since buying my Dolan Pre Cursa I've changed the fork, bars, pedals with straps, tyres (for slimes), & tyres and added an front break.

Today I've removed the frame decals. Next I'll do the wheels next :D

Nearly there!!!

C4C39527108B4EF28633071D941892B4-0000355606-0003523731-00640L-01E950D2CA8346DF8EA77BFE8ADB3CDF.jpg

AB18BD2A2EBE4D21BC9305CACE7E473C-0000355606-0003523732-00640L-7A5BF0D444834C0989304A8511A9824B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

A few jobs on the Giant TCX:
    *) Removed, cleaned, greased and reassembled the headset. Surprisingly easy. Might need replacing next winter.
    *) Stripped and greased mini-v brakes. Also far easier than I expected.

A new bottom bracket may be needed before too long. Might do that, add a new chain and service wheel bearings in the next few weeks.

Advertisement