Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

I want a full on man cave - shed isn't going to cut it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My shed is 6x8 and holds 6 of my 8 bikes rather poetically.

I'll be banned from this section now but a shed won't cut it as it needs to hold these, lift, tools, squat rack etc etc:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cannondale synapse di2 sitting in bits, trying to figure why battery won't charge.

fix - new charger ffs wondering now whether this is the cause of other battery issues.

di2 is definitely dark arts.

• Advertisement

It's not a man cave you want, it's a warehouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

removed rear brake (Ultegra R8000) as it felt sticky when released and was not springing fully open. Removed pads and flushed brake with gt85.

Removed cable from frame, trimmed housing and reinstalled.
    It feels better but not 100%. Hopefully it frees up.

I’ll be replacing all cables and bartape in summer so will revisit it then if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Try a drop of chain lube on the spring where it enters the little plastic sleeve and work it in can sometimes help.

The plastic spacer between the calipers can also be sticky & if the have the tiny bearings in them, may have popped out.

Full deconstruction & clean may be needed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Starting the build of my shed over the summer so welcome any advice, I am thinking wooden construction so if I have issues in a few years it is not as big a job to change / pull down. I will have a 8m x 8m area to work on but I don't think I will come clse to making it that. Probably 6m x 4m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

My advice on a shed would be go as big as you can, I went 5x4 and wasn't long wishing I had more space.

Back on thread, new chainrings finally arrived from alugear and fitted, haven't been put on bike yet, waiting for few bits to do all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well aren’t those pretty looking 👌.

Have you a link to those by any chance?

Link below, lots of colours and mixes ,can go chainring in a bright pink if you want! Little lighter but not sure any performance benefit over Shimano. Needed new rings and wanted something a little different rather than any big gains!

https://alugear.com/16-chainrings-2x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Got the brake levers positioned correctly…….embarrassing really 😀 but hey…..

Let us know how you get on with them, I am very tempted

@CramCycle have done a few spins with them now, can't say I notice any performance difference really, shifting is as good as it was, have had one or two times it's jumped going from small to big ring but gears need to be looked at anyway. Looking online some lads said they have had issues with flex when sprinting but they seem to be using a 54 and putting out big watts, not something I have to worry about!

And how it looks on the bike, cos that's what's most important really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just popped around to humphries to get a new cassette and chain for the old Ti mountain bike i bought last year; the cassette is a brand i've not heard of before, 9nine bikes? looks decent enough quality anyway.

Bottom bracket bearings swapped out. First go of the homemade bearing press.

Installation is the reverse of removal, as they say, so I took no more pictures

Just installed mine and rather than pairing before installing, I left it until I had everything wired up. For some reason my shifters don't have QR codes or serial numbers, which is how the new version pairs, so, fo rnow, it was all for nothing.

Anyone here heard of this, I can't find mention of it anywhere, that the new 12 speed shifters have to have the serial or QR code to pair but mine simply don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Put a set of Brooks handles on my old Brompton. The comfort difference is amazing. Kicking myself did not do this over a decade ago. Had cheap rubber handles on it. The original foam ones were very poor as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Took off the front derailleur from my caadx commuter bike. And the cabling. preparing for 1x.

Swapped the rear cable to use the boss on the left side downtube that was freed up, better radius and cable not rubbing the fork. changed outers and will change inner this evening to complete the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

So the wheeltop eds(Rim) arrived. Paid 513 euro on aliexpress and customs came to a whopping 13 including anposts fee 😎.

The setup/install wasn't the easiest. The android app on the android playstore is ages old, so use the QR code in the box to get the latest. The english translations in the app and documentation on the site are fairly shite. I mainly just used some youtube videos for reference. I ran into the same issue as TranceVelo, where the FD got stuck in the smallest chainring and attempting to get to the largest would just go back and forth. It just needed to be recalibrated.

Once everything was paired and on the bike my only main issues was the FD. I dunno if its my frame (traitor exile) and the braze on adapter. But I had to use the adjustment screw a lot to mainly to dial in the FD.

Before making the adjustments above the app/shifters also wouldn't allow you to go to the last two gears of depending on the FDs position. What ever dialling in I did has seemed to overwritten that. Maybe it can be re-enabled within the app. It also doesn't seem to auto drop the FD as you move along the cassette, as I've seen in some videos. Maybe it can be enabled in the app.

Few other points

• FD auto trims as you go along the cassette.
    • Indexing adjustment within the app isn't very intuitive.
    • Can't get it to connect to my igpsport igs630s
    • Shifters feel solid.
    • Shifting can be set to competitive/casual
    • Shifting is pretty smooth(first wireless groupset)

Bar tape arriving tomorrow, so hopefully give it a proper spin outside or on the trainer.

Post edited by Bluejohn1 on

Finally got them installed this weekend. The rim brake ones are not actually wireless and are pretty much, slightly nicer ones of the old DI2/ Had to wait for a 1600mm wire to wire the left shifter back to the battery. All done now, Di2, aero handlebars (I can't tell the difference). Need to get some purple nail polish to remove the white decals on the frame and bike will be back to its race winning ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Lovely warm day today - decided it's time to recommission this one from 3-4 years in the attic

Rear wheel felt weird leaving to go home yesterday. I stopped and had a look and couldn't see anything. Felt like it was wobbly or bouncing a bit. Checked it again and nothing jumped out so headed home

Same this morning but no time to check so had a good look when I got a chance during the evening and the firewall was failing and bulging slightly. Tyre did about 12kms and had two punctures in its life. Tread was getting low also.

So a pit stop in Cycleways coming in the quays for a new tyre. They didn't have the Schwalbe Marathon Racer so went with the stiffer marathon plus. Time will tell if it's a better tire.

Washed it all and fitted it. Off work till Monday so will test ride it when I have more time and hopefully it's sorted. It's a great bike but it's a pain to clean. Tight and fiddly areas and it seems to attract a huge amount of dirt.

I've had an annoying click/creak since doing the Gravel Grind West event.

Given that we were on a number of different beaches, figured sand could be the issue.

Took the headset bearings out, cleaned all surfaces, regrease and reassembled.

Did the same with the seat post wedge thing (proprietary Giant nonsense), cleaned, regreased, reassembled.

Couple of laps of the green out the front, and it seems to be sorted, but tomorrow morning's spin will tell.

While I had the tool box out, I adjusted the saddle setback. It was something I hadn't thought about adjusting when I first got the bike, and on a very early spin the saddle clamp came loose. I just tightened it on the road side, and never gave any consideration to where the saddle had ended up. Feels a bit better, but again, we'll find out in the morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happened me once; couldn't track down the source of the creak on my bike over the course of a couple of weeks. dropped it in to derek in humpries to cut the steerer tube for me, and casually mentioned the creak when i was picking the bike up. without missing a beat, he replied 'it's your saddle'. he'd copped it lifting the bike up into the workstand.

it seems to have been where the rails on the saddle slotted into the sockets at the rear of the saddle. i guess one or both had de-bonded.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Was chasing a creak myself recently on my TCR. Ultegra groupset which was brand new last year. Thought it was the Assioma pedals as I had recently replaced one under warranty and had also narrowed the creak down to the right hand side by doing some one legged pedaling when trying to find the source. Long story short, it turned out to be the 4 bolts holding on the chain rings. Obviously had started to come loose (but not crazy loose) over the last year. Torqued them up and now the bike is silent.

Post edited by gn3dr on

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I had an intermittent creaking driving me mad for weeks. Worked my way through the bike, but it kept popping up randomly during spins. Finally it happened again while walking down to the shed to get the bike….it was a piece of the velcro strap on the helmet liner scratching against the shell. The helmet must have been amplifying the sound so I was convinced it was coming from the bike. Explains why tilting / turning my head never helped trying to locate it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

i always check saddle first in any pedal stroke creaks..cleaning it fixes it all the time

Advertisement