Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jews refuse to shop at ‘Hitler’ store in India

• 29-08-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Either this is a genius Marketing Ploy, or the owner of this shop is on a suicide mission.

From RT
    There’s one shop in India that local Jews won’t stop by at any price: the one called “Hitler”. The owner of the clothing outlet in Ahmedabad claims it’s merely a “nickname given to one of the proprietors' grandfathers.”

­"Hitler was a nickname given to my business partner Manish Chandani's grandfather because of his strict nature. Frankly, till the time we applied for the trademark permission, I had only heard that Hitler was a strict man,” Rajesh Shah who owns the shop told The Times of India daily.

“It was only recently that we read about Hitler on the internet,” he added.

Shah complains he had to spend Rs 40,000 on the banner, and says he won’t change the name unless he is compensated.

Local residents can’t hide their indignation.

"In the city of Mahatma Gandhi and non-violence, how can anyone celebrate a person like Hitler who is known to have murdered millions of unarmed ordinary civilians? We as a community had represented our concerns to the proprietors and we do not think they agree with us," Nikitin Contractor, convener of the Friends of Israel organization from Vadodara was quoted as saying. "Youngsters need to be told of the atrocities that Hitler committed and the millions who were killed in gas chambers more than 70 years ago."

Some members of the Jewish community claim the proprietors know what Hitler’s name stands for.

“They had researched well, right from the clothes the dictator wore to his cufflinks. We had suggested a separate design, but the proprietors claimed that the name brings good business since its launch a week back."

Link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

How do they explain the swastika if they didn't know anything about Hitler? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

How do they explain the swastika if they didn't know anything about Hitler? :pac:

I think it's a common symbol in India. Hindu

Ahmedabad Heil Street Fashion outlet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

im off down the cromwell shop, gonna grab some 'william of orange' mandarins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

*joke about Jews not wanting to spend money*

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

*joke about Jews not wanting to spend money*

Jewish dilemma: free pork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have to bring some stuff to the Swastika Laundry, back in 5 minutes...oh, wait, they are closed, are they? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Godwinning a shop before you open it? Don't think I ever expected to hear anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its actually hilarious, How could he do it ? Even with the swastika. He must be off his game.
    Thank god the Nazi's lost or all our main streets would have these shops.

Here's an interesting one too, The grandson of the Nazi Albert Speer.
    Albert Speer and Partner.

http://www.as-p.de/

I understand the elevators in the store were installed by Schindler's Lifts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

charlemont wrote: »
    Its actually hilarious, How could he do it ? Even with the swastika. He must be off his game.
    Thank god the Nazi's lost or all our main streets would have these shops.

Here's an interesting one too, The grandson of the Nazi Albert Speer.
    Albert Speer and Partner.

http://www.as-p.de/

Are you responsible for your Grandfathers sins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Well Dublin is home to the a restaurant named after that noted humanitarian Chairman Mao. Don't know if they still have his image plastered all over the place.

http://www.cafemao.com/restaurant/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

marcsignal wrote: »
    I think it's a common symbol in India. Hindu

Ahmedabad Heil Street Fashion outlet :pac:

not when its rotated to the angle its at as far as i know. i may be wrong but i think the nazis took that symbol and rotated it slightly and thats what became the nazi symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

“It was only recently that we read about Hitler on the internet,” he added.
    Bull****. How can anyone not have known about WW2, the Nazi's and Hitler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I can see where they're coming from, Ann frankly I don't blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The Jews need to relax. It's a shop with an unfortunate name. Get over it like!

ScumLord wrote: »

Some Indians fought for Germany in WW2

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NO93lhIs69o/TMsi16U1jUI/AAAAAAAAAHM/-542sdZQKxE/s1600/Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J16695,_Soldaten_der_Legion_%252522Freies_Indien%252522.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I wouldn't shop in the place and I am not Jewish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Frankly, till the time we applied for the trademark permission, I had only heard that Hitler was a strict man.

It would break me trying to keep a straight face saying that. I'm impressed.

If a store was called Stalin or Pol Pot or Gaddafi or Mao or Cromwell I wouldn't be too bothered. It's bad if they're using antisemitism to drum up business but I can't help thinking it's hilarious. Better to satirise than to preserve. There are two groups that would be upset at this. Jews definitely but Nazis too. One or the other probably shouldn't, but I'm of a mind that a sense of humour should trump outrage a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Big deal.

Cowboys have been banned from Indian shops for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

karma_ wrote: »

Yes. The Nazi's believed in a now defunct theory that the 'Aryans' migrated into North-West India and then onwards into Europe.

Hitler actually was very impressed with the Indians. He believed they were true 'Aryans'. In fact at the 1936 Olympics he seen an Indian athlete who he was very impressed with. Offered him a position as a colonel in the SS I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Now that is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal

Yeah aryan they a bit sensitive.

Another article

Globe and Mail (Canada)
    In 2006 a Nazi-themed cafe called Hitler's Cross opened in a Mumbai suburb, complete with swastika and reportedly a large portrait of Hitler. The proprietor told the New York Times that “Hitler is a catchy name. Everyone knows Hitler.” In the face of protests he later changed the name simply to the Cross Cafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, that is a very very strange thing to do. It must be some bizarre publicity stunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You are aware that most Indian adults left school when they were about 12, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

A nice Mengele top with Himmler seams please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Because they're Indian? I'm sure there are plenty of Europeans who don't know who Hirohito, Tojo or Araki were.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Because they're Indian? I'm sure there are plenty of Europeans who don't know who Hirohito, Tojo or Araki were.

That thought occurred to me also.
    WW2 for Indians was more related to Japan being the baddies, than the Germans.

Or maybe the shop owner doesn't have Discovery Channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi uniforms. It was founded and managed by Nazis, and used forced labour and POWs during Hitler's regime. No-one minds.
    Some boutique in India uses the name because they dont know not to and it's an outrage. That shop ridicules Hitler rather than celebrates him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I have to bring some stuff to the Swastika Laundry, back in 5 minutes...oh, wait, they are closed, are they? ;)

they were up and running in 1913 long before Adi and teh boys came on the scene.

there is also the Celtic version of the swastika. an ancient symbol and politically correct Germans want it forbidden EU wide. Good luck with that. I think demonising such symbols only makes them more popular.

its not such a big deal for some people. in galway we have no probs naming a street after Viki the famine queen. it will be a while before they have a hitler street in Tel aviv. the jews have to get over themselves just like we cannot harp on about the baastard black and tans for the rest of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

"In the city of Mahatma Gandhi and non-violence, how can anyone celebrate a person like Hitler who is known to have murdered millions of unarmed ordinary civilians?

http://www.mymao.ie/restaurant

And no one bats at eye at this in Dundrum :P

allanb49 wrote: »
    "In the city of Mahatma Gandhi and non-violence, how can anyone celebrate a person like Hitler who is known to have murdered millions of unarmed ordinary civilians?

commies are cool and apparently did no harm unlike those nasty nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

allanb49 wrote: »

Mao means cat. If Hitler meant Cloud or something I doubt this thread would exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

There is a cafe a couple of hours away from me in Mountainair, NM.

There was a Native American use of the swastika too...the building has it built into the facade.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparkys_pics/425316801/lightbox/

I also know of an Irish bar in Prague that claims to be Cuban-Irish. The bar was built as an Irish bar, but the idiots who commissioned it hadn't yet come up with the full money. The Scottish builder said "right you have a week to pay me or the lease on the bar and the furnishings are mine, always fancied a bar". They failed to get the money so he said "I'm opening my bar" They said "you can't open an Irish bar that's our idea" He says "I'm not, it's a Cuban bar"

Opening night.

Unveil name

O'Che's

Troll level: Master.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi uniforms. It was founded and managed by Nazis, and used forced labour and POWs during Hitler's regime. No-one minds.
    True enough. People drive beemers and volkswagens and mercs and audi's and they were all involved in wartime output. Shít the beemer logo is a stylised propellor*. Kodak and Volkswagen used slave labour like hugo boss.

One of the biggest dodgy areas of WW2 is the Austrian corporal couldn't have gotten off the ground and built his little regime without huge support from the German industrial complex(one of the biggest in the world at the time) and it's expertise and financing. They also were among the first to expel Jews from positions of power within the companies from shop floor supervisers up.

The real crime is how very very few of those guys ever came to trial and how even fewer were punished for it. Indeed quite a number just reset after the war and continued happily on with support from the allies, with the notable and laudable exception(in this case) of the Russians.

Not just German companies either Next time you consider buying an IBM product consider this. Bosch Seimens take the biscuit mind you. During the war they used slave labour, even helped in designing a couple of gas chambers and what do they do back in 2002? Register a trademark to label a rip off of Mr Dysons cyclone vacuum cleaners. What's German for cyclone? Zyklon. Yep the same name as the gas used to kill people. Fcuking genius meeting that must have been.
    That shop ridicules Hitler rather than celebrates him imo.
    Good point there. There's the sniff of hypocrisy at the oul outrage alright.

*hence many Jews will drive Saabs, Volvos and the like, avoiding the German stuff. Fair enough. Consumers choice an all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fuinseog wrote: »
    tthere is also the Celtic version of the swastika. an ancient symbol and politically correct Germans want it forbidden EU wide. Good luck with that. I think demonising such symbols only makes them more popular.
    This plus a thousand. I built Airfix Stukas and Me109s and Dorniers and such as your 70's boys(and a couple of girls) tended to do. Swastikas all over the place. I didn't grow up feeling the need to design my own uniforms and ride around in open top mercs eyeing up Poland and France with suspicious eyes. Well...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its not such a big deal for some people. in galway we have no probs naming a street after Viki the famine queen. it will be a while before they have a hitler street in Tel aviv. the jews have to get over themselves just like we cannot harp on about the baastard black and tans for the rest of time.
    Bearing in mind that the Jews suffered the most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind (The Shoah) that is the planned attemt at total genocide your post is abhorrent, insulting, and trollish.

Wibbs wrote: »
    True enough. People drive beemers and volkswagens and mercs and audi's and they were all involved in wartime output. Shít the beemer logo is a stylised propellor*. Kodak and Volkswagen used slave labour like hugo boss.

One of the biggest dodgy areas of WW2 is the Austrian corporal couldn't have gotten off the ground and built his little regime without huge support from the German industrial complex(one of the biggest in the world at the time) and it's expertise and financing. They also were among the first to expel Jews from positions of power within the companies from shop floor supervisers up.

The real crime is how very very few of those guys ever came to trial and how even fewer were punished for it. Indeed quite a number just reset after the war and continued happily on with support from the allies, with the notable and laudable exception(in this case) of the Russians.

Not just German companies either Next time you consider buying an IBM product consider this. Bosch Seimens take the biscuit mind you. During the war they used slave labour, even helped in designing a couple of gas chambers and what do they do back in 2002? Register a trademark to label a rip off of Mr Dysons cyclone vacuum cleaners. What's German for cyclone? Zyklon. Yep the same name as the gas used to kill people. Fcuking genius meeting that must have been.

*hence many Jews will drive Saabs, Volvos and the like, avoiding the German stuff. Fair enough. Consumers choice an all.
    And lets not forget Coca Cola whose German subsidary invented Fantastiche during the war, it is now sold as Fanta!
    Difference is, unlike the retailer in question none of these companies tries to market their business using the Hitler name and Swastika logo, a symbol which is properly offenivse to most decent people.

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that the Jews suffered the most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind (The Shoah) that is the planned attemt at total genocide your post is abhorrent, insulting, and trollish.
    While I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding being uncomfortable about such a suggestion from F, I'd debate the "scoring of atrocity" all too common with this subject. The Shoah is uppermost in the western mind because it's been kept in the western mind. When was the last time you saw a documentary or movie about the Nanking Massacre? Exactamundo.

People this side of the world tend to forget what the Japanese did in occupied China around the same time. In China alone the numbers of estimated killings run to over 20 million Chinese. Never mind the mass rapes, cannibalism, torture, medical experiments testing of biological and chemical weapons. Christ they used Chinese men and women in live bayonet practice for troops. That's just in China and it was most certainly racially motivated. They looked upon the Chinese and others as subhuman apes. These pricks actualy set up rape houses in occupied towns were local women were tied to special rape chairs and raped to death. Niice.

The Asian holocaust was just as brutal, lasted longer and claimed more lives and fcuk all Japanese involved were punished for it. Indeed surprisingly the Chinese took the more pragmatic view with those they captured. They got them to confess(rarely under duress) and then sent them home. And while they most certainly do not forget down to today will still deal with Japan economically. Stalins purges were another beauty. There exists a long list of man's inhumanity to man, neither it's perpetrators nor it's victims hold the high ground or are tied to any one group or groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

schfine hunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

oh no; just noticed the superman t-shirt in the window

While I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding being uncomfortable about such a suggestion from F, I'd debate the "scoring of atrocity" all too common with this subject. The Shoah is uppermost in the western mind because it's been kept in the western mind. When was the last time you saw a documentary or movie about the Nanking Massacre? Exactamundo.

People this side of the world tend to forget what the Japanese did in occupied China around the same time. In China alone the numbers of estimated killings run to over 20 million Chinese. Never mind the mass rapes, cannibalism, torture, medical experiments testing of biological and chemical weapons. Christ they used Chinese men and women in live bayonet practice for troops. That's just in China and it was most certainly racially motivated. They looked upon the Chinese and others as subhuman apes. These pricks actualy set up rape houses in occupied towns were local women were tied to special rape chairs and raped to death. Niice.

The Asian holocaust was just as brutal, lasted longer and claimed more lives and fcuk all Japanese involved were punished for it. Indeed surprisingly the Chinese took the more pragmatic view with those they captured. They got them to confess(rarely under duress) and then sent them home. And while they most certainly do not forget down to today will still deal with Japan economically. Stalins purges were another beauty. There exists a long list of man's inhumanity to man, neither it's perpetrators nor it's victims hold the high ground or are tied to any one group or groups.
    True and I accept that.
    Perhaps it is just the precise and mechanical way the the Holocaust was planned and executed that makes it stand out, after all there is little evidence of a Japanese equivalent of the Wansee meeting to compare the holocaust to. Or perhaps it is because the Shoah was in a way the culmination of centuries of oppression and pogroms (including here in Ireland, where would we have been without Griffith and his ilk?) that had been visited against the Jews that pricks europes collective concience.
    Either way, to my mind the Shoah and its architects are neither cause for jokes or insensitive actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Stalin killed more of his own people than Hitler did Jews so I don't think we call call it the worst mass murder in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Even our much loved travelling community are jumping on the bandwagon...
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hitler-and-friends-cleared-of-murder-charge-by-court-486702.html

Well said. The Holocaust was horrible, but it should not be isolated in precedence of other brutal holocausts. Columbus literally wiped out an entire nation of people, I mean literally, every single last one, no survivors. What about the Native Americans, they have no monuments, The Armenians, no one can even decide to call that a genocide incase it upsets the Turks, hell we could even make a case about the Neanderthals.

Stalin killed more of his own people than Hitler did Jews so I don't think we call call it the worst mass murder in history.
    Please provide evidence that I called it the worst mass murder in history, oops you cant because I didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

I heard India inveted the jews. They also invented the ghey and sunglasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Please provide evidence that I called it the worst mass murder in history, oops you cant because I didn't!

"The most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind".

• Advertisement
Advertisement