Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jews refuse to shop at ‘Hitler’ store in India

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Hitler was a son of a bitch and most historians agree there would have been no holocaust without Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

"The most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind".
    Where in that quote does it say "worst mass murder"? duh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Where in that quote does it say "worst mass murder"? duh!

So do you think it was worse than what Stalin did?

You seem to seeing as you call it the "worst atrocity"

duh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

So do you think it was worse than what Stalin did?

You seem to seeing as you call it the "worst atrocity"

duh !
    Quote what I said, not what you wish I'd said.
    If you can't quote what I actually said have the decency not to quote me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Quote what I said, not what you wish I'd said.
    If you can't quote what I actually said have the decency not to quote me at all.

You called it the worst atrocity in the history of mankind, I asked you do you think it was worse than what Stalin did, it's a simple question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

As someone from India, vast majority of Indians wouldn't know much about Hitler - I am not talking about uneducated people either. My own personal experience is that I had read something about the two World wars and Hitler - and the name was mentioned along with Stalin, Mussolini and Churchill. That's about it really. History classes in Indian schools teaches Indian history - various dynasties that ruled the land - we have some 2000 years of that to get thru before coming to the British Raj - and then textbooks usually focuses on colonization, freedom movements, various campaigns, and key figures and events. Only after moving to Europe, I read up so much about World Wars and key figures, and only then I realized how bitter the western world is about Hitler, and the memories of holocaust is still fresh etc. I had absolutely no idea otherwise. I remember buying and wearing t-shirt labeled 'furore'. In fact I think they still sell that brand of t-shirts there.

Oh yeah, Swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol of prosperity etc - and you will see it drawn fresh every morning in front of most houses even in the remotest of the Indian villages - especially in the South - and most of them have probably never heard of Europe - let alone Hitler.

Just my 2 paise worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Well Dublin is home to the a restaurant named after that noted humanitarian Chairman Mao. Don't know if they still have his image plastered all over the place.

http://www.cafemao.com/restaurant/index.php
    If you excuse me, I'm off to open "Stalin's Georgian Cuisine". :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

True and I accept that.
    Perhaps it is just the precise and mechanical way the the Holocaust was planned and executed that makes it stand out,
    Oh sure, that adds a horrific coldness to it. It was one of the most educated and civilised people on the planet who sat down and dreamt it up. That said it was a remarkably small number of same. All it took as the (para) phrase goes was good people to do nothing. IT holds a worrying mirror up to all who think themselves civilised and I suspect many deep down realise they'd be much more likely to be of the quiet masses
    after all there is little evidence of a Japanese equivalent of the Wansee meeting to compare the holocaust to.
    Well the atrocities were sanctioned by the army on the ground. It was all done in plain sight.
    Or perhaps it is because the Shoah was in a way the culmination of centuries of oppression and pogroms (including here in Ireland, where would we have been without Griffith and his ilk?) that had been visited against the Jews that pricks europes collective concience.
    Again there's most certainly an element of that. However I'd not be so quick to whip ourselves regarding antisemitic behaviour. The Limerick pogram a case in point. Those people forced from their homes made their way to Cork, as a jumping off point to the new world. The people of Cork opened their homes to them, with the result that many Jewish people stayed buoyed by the kindness and fellow humanity displayed. When some talk of Limerick, they're either ignorant of that or ignore it. I hope the former. People also forget that the Liberator Danny O'Connell while fighting for Catholic rights also fought for Jewish rights as did his supporters. Indeed he succeeded in getting a bill passed in the UK parliament rescinding the ancient law that required Jews to wear distinctive clothing. The first such in Europe. To quote the man(from what passes for my memory) "Ireland has claims on your ancient race, it is the only country that I know of unsullied by acts of persecution of your peoples". Before him our own parliament debated the inclusion of Irish Jews into this nation. In the late 1890's one Dublin Jewish guy was elected as lord mayor of same(actually a Jewish guy was elected mayor of Cork in the 1500's). And it went both ways. Irish Jews organised big relief efforts when the famine hit and a load were involved in the struggle for our independence(BOb Briscoe just one example). Given how small the Jewish population was and is here, they've contributed much over the centuries.

One muppet in Limerick and a tiny few of mostly lone gobshítes with loud voices does not illustrate the overall attitude or Irish people to their fellow Irish who happen to be Jews. NOt by a long shot. As a people we can be more proud than not.
    Either way, to my mind the Shoah and its architects are neither cause for jokes or insensitive actions.
    I agree, however sensitivity can sometimes be over egged.

karma_ wrote: »
    Well said. The Holocaust was horrible, but it should not be isolated in precedence of other brutal holocausts. Columbus literally wiped out an entire nation of people, I mean literally, every single last one, no survivors. What about the Native Americans, they have no monuments, The Armenians, no one can even decide to call that a genocide incase it upsets the Turks, hell we could even make a case about the Neanderthals.
    Well the Europeans killed millions, mostly through imported pathogens. I'd not be so sure of Neandertals though. we lived together for an awfully long time. 10,000 years in Europe alone and similar in the middle east. Bit languid a holocaust.:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Wibbs wrote: »

Well the Europeans killed millions, mostly through imported pathogens. I'd not be so sure of Neandertals though. we lived together for an awfully long time. 10,000 years in Europe alone and similar in the middle east. Bit languid a holocaust.:)

Yeah disease played a part, however, as soon as the next Columbus thread goes up I'll be there to argue the point that he was one of the most evil and brutal cúnts that ever graced this planet.

As for the Neanderthals, of course I was just making a point, the fact remains, not a single one remains to tell the tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

Bearing in mind that the Jews suffered the most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind (The Shoah) that is the planned attemt at total genocide your post is abhorrent, insulting, and trollish.

In the history of mankind the holocaust will be a small event of one tribe killing another. anyway Genghis Khan killed 40 million not so long ago, but thats not such big a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Abi wrote: »
    The Jews.. a great bunch of lads.

they're gas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yeah disease played a part, however, as soon as the next Columbus thread goes up I'll be there to argue the point that he was one of the most evil and brutal cúnts that ever graced this planet.
    To be fair Columbus was a pretty minor figure in the conquest of the new world. He never even lived to see the actual American continent.
    As for the Neanderthals, of course I was just making a point, the fact remains, not a single one remains to tell the tale.
    Sometimes species are outcompeted and die out. Doesn't require a genocidal impulse or intent. It's more likely that those folks were slowly outcompeted because we had slightly more kids and more of a support network from other groups. Plus the 4% of Neandertal DNA any of us that aren't African folks have shows they're still here pulsing through our veins. Which is a nice thought.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

mhigh86 wrote: »
    anyway Genghis Khan killed 40 million not so long ago, but thats not such big a deal

What was the bother on aul Genghis? Why did he kill so many?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Well said. The Holocaust was horrible, but it should not be isolated in precedence of other brutal holocausts. Columbus literally wiped out an entire nation of people, I mean literally, every single last one, no survivors. What about the Native Americans, they have no monuments

? There are tens of millions of native Americans. Virtually all of the deaths caused by Europeans were due to diseases brought over, and intentional infection (as with blankets) hardly ever happened. Deaths from massacres happened but to compare it to the holocaust (about 1/4 of Jews directly murdered, with the intention of murdering them all) is ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

Fuinseog wrote: »
    they're gas.
    TBH F that's where my sensitivity detector goes into the red and thinks "eh no Ted" and I'm defo not a handwringer about such things.

• Advertisement

"Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived... he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Or should that be Making Up Headlines.

The headline of the piece is Jews refuse to shop at 'Hitler' store in India.

Yet the body of the article doesn't make any reference to Jews refusing to do anything of the sort.

Clearly the owner knew something of the original Hitler as he incorporated a swastika in the shop frontage.

The real story for me is how a non story travels the world and how headlines are made, or is that made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

he was a bit of a hooer for the aul Modern Warfare and Black Ops etc. He took it too far...

TBH F that's where my sensitivity detector goes into the red and thinks "eh no Ted" and I'm defo not a handwringer about such things.

pardon my country turn of phrase. just another way of saying they are great.

woodoo wrote: »
    Ah he had abit of small man syndrome, he never really got over, poor fella

• Advertisement

Ah he had abit of small man syndrome, he never really got over, poor fella

even worse when you get someone like hitler who did not drink, smoke or eat meat.

To be fair Columbus was a pretty minor figure in the conquest of the new world. He never even lived to see the actual American continent.

Sometimes species are outcompeted and die out. Doesn't require a genocidal impulse or intent. It's more likely that those folks were slowly outcompeted because we had slightly more kids and more of a support network from other groups. Plus the 4% of Neandertal DNA any of us that aren't African folks have shows they're still here pulsing through our veins. Which is a nice thought.

Well, we don;t actually know what happened and likely never will, I know there are conflicting theories as to what caused their extinction. I thought I read recently that the DNA we share came from an earlier species and not directly from the Neanderthals, although I like your theory better and it's nice to think that's true.
    anyway Genghis Khan killed 40 million not so long ago, but thats not such big a deal

Genghis Kahn is a great shout, had forgot about him, he was almost as prolific at procreation as he was at killing.
    goose2005 wrote: »
    ? There are tens of millions of native Americans. Virtually all of the deaths caused by Europeans were due to diseases brought over, and intentional infection (as with blankets) hardly ever happened. Deaths from massacres happened but to compare it to the holocaust (about 1/4 of Jews directly murdered, with the intention of murdering them all) is ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas

I'm actually referring to the American Indian Wars here, it's been estimated the killing stands somewhere between 10 million and an incredible 114 million killed as a direct result of US action during that period, absolutely extraordinary figures.

even worse when you get someone like hitler who did not drink, smoke or eat meat.

Ah one of these new age types into holistic medicine and mass murder i bet, uuh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm not sure if he smoked or not but Hitler was neither a vegetarian nor a teetotaler.

iguana wrote: »
    I'm not sure if he smoked or not but Hitler was neither a vegetarian nor a teetotaler.

this is news.would you care to explain.

Ah one of these new age types into holistic medicine and mass murder i bet, uuh

The Nazis were the first hippies

dancing around fires, in touch with nature and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The Jews need to relax. It's a shop with an unfortunate name. Get over it like!
    Unfortunate?

Ah, the thousand monkeys on their typewriters who name shops just happened to hit on that name for that shop?

If I were naming or re-naming any business the first thing I would do would be to pop it into Google to see if it had any other connotations.

And India HAS discovered the internet!

Let's not be disingenuous here.
    its not such a big deal for some people. in galway we have no probs naming a street after Viki the famine queen. it will be a while before they have a hitler street in Tel aviv. the jews have to get over themselves just like we cannot harp on about the baastard black and tans for the rest of time.
    How recently was a street in Galway named after Queen Victoria?

Because I certainly believe that most of Galway would have a problem with a street being named after her in modern times, despite the fact that Victoria was simply the reigning Queen of England at the time of the famine, not the architect of a "final solution" to the "Irish problem" by orchestrating a famine.
    commies are cool and apparently did no harm unlike those nasty nazis.
    Rubbish. Extremists and bigots of every shade and creed are responsible for the most horrendous blots on the escutcheon of human history.
    The Shoah is uppermost in the western mind because it's been kept in the western mind.
    I think there's some truth there, Wibbs, but it's only one factor.

The Shoah happened on our doorstep, at least in modern terms. We are a member of the EU; for many of the countries involved the Shoah is a central part of their (relatively) recent history.

Indeed, walk around many of the old cities of those countries and it is impossible to miss the evidence of an anti-semitism that goes back centuries before Hitler.

I agree with you that despite some black marks, the Irish are relatively free of this negative history; had the Jewish population in this country been bigger, I wonder if we would have been so? Have the attitudes you have no doubt seen reflected on this forum from some members over the last 10 years towards immigrants from Africa and even from Eastern Europe given you reason for confidence that the possibility for race hatred does not exist in the Irish psyche?
    When was the last time you saw a documentary or movie about the Nanking Massacre? Exactamundo.

People this side of the world tend to forget what the Japanese did in occupied China around the same time. In China alone the numbers of estimated killings run to over 20 million Chinese. Never mind the mass rapes, cannibalism, torture, medical experiments testing of biological and chemical weapons. Christ they used Chinese men and women in live bayonet practice for troops. That's just in China and it was most certainly racially motivated. They looked upon the Chinese and others as subhuman apes. These pricks actualy set up rape houses in occupied towns were local women were tied to special rape chairs and raped to death. Niice.

The Asian holocaust was just as brutal, lasted longer and claimed more lives and fcuk all Japanese involved were punished for it. Indeed surprisingly the Chinese took the more pragmatic view with those they captured. They got them to confess(rarely under duress) and then sent them home. And while they most certainly do not forget down to today will still deal with Japan economically. Stalins purges were another beauty. There exists a long list of man's inhumanity to man, neither it's perpetrators nor it's victims hold the high ground or are tied to any one group or groups.
    More as an interesting fact than anything else, one of the witnesses of the Nanjing Massacre was German businessman and Nazi Party member (as you pretty much had to be in Germany at that time if you had any aspirations to a successful business) John Rabe.

He was horrified at what he was witnessing, and appealed to Hitler to intervene with the Japanese government. Hitler refused. Rabe personally sheltered and hit many Chinese on his estate during that time, and documented the atrocity in his diaries, which became one of the few independent records of events which the Japanese High Command at the time made every effort to cover-up.

So Hitler's hands were not even clean in the matter of the Nanjing Massacre.

And not everyone who joined the Nazi party was a bastard.

The Nazis were the first hippies

dancing around fires, in touch with nature and all that.

I thought the hippies were the first hippies:eek:

positron wrote: »
    As someone from India, vast majority of Indians wouldn't know much about Hitler - I am not talking about uneducated people either. My own personal experience is that I had read something about the two World wars and Hitler - and the name was mentioned along with Stalin, Mussolini and Churchill. That's about it really. History classes in Indian schools teaches Indian history - various dynasties that ruled the land - we have some 2000 years of that to get thru before coming to the British Raj - and then textbooks usually focuses on colonization, freedom movements, various campaigns, and key figures and events. Only after moving to Europe, I read up so much about World Wars and key figures, and only then I realized how bitter the western world is about Hitler, and the memories of holocaust is still fresh etc. I had absolutely no idea otherwise. I remember buying and wearing t-shirt labeled 'furore'. In fact I think they still sell that brand of t-shirts there.

Oh yeah, Swastika is an ancient Hindu symbol of prosperity etc - and you will see it drawn fresh every morning in front of most houses even in the remotest of the Indian villages - especially in the South - and most of them have probably never heard of Europe - let alone Hitler.

Just my 2 paise worth.
    Good post from the ground there :) Tnx.

Just my 2 paise worth.
    The swastika has a long history in many cultures pre-dating the Nazis by centuries and even eons.

I would always look at the context in which it is used before automatically assuming a Nazi link.
    "Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived... he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made."
    Pat Buchanan or David Irvine?
    pardon my country turn of phrase. just another way of saying they are great.
    Ah, as NegativeCreep would put it, your choice of phrase was simply "unfortunate", yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

this is news.would you care to explain.

Well he ate meat and drank alcoholic beverages. He wasn't a big drinker or meat eater but there are plenty of sources, like his former waiter, describing him doing both from time to time.

And, having just looked it up, apparently Hitler was an ex-smoker rather than a non-smoker.

[

How recently was a street in Galway named after Queen Victoria?

Because I certainly believe that most of Galway would have a problem with a street being named after her in modern times, despite the fact that Victoria was simply the reigning Queen of England at the time of the famine, not the architect of a "final solution" to the "Irish problem" by orchestrating a famine.

Rubbish. Extremists and bigots of every shade and creed are responsible for the most horrendous blots on the escutcheon of human history.

The Shoah happened on our doorstep, at least in modern terms. We are a member of the EU; for many of the countries involved the Shoah is a central part of their (relatively) recent history.

Indeed, walk around many of the old cities of those countries and it is impossible to miss the evidence of an anti-semitism that goes back centuries before Hitler.

I agree with you that despite some black marks, the Irish are relatively free of this negative history; had the Jewish population in this country been bigger, I wonder if we would have been so? Have the attitudes you have no doubt seen reflected on this forum from some members over the last 10 years tostard.[/QUOTE]

They named a hotel in Hotel The Victoria only twenty years ago and nobody batted an eyelid. ethnic cleansing took place on our own doorstep in the Balkans and nobody cared or indeed in Rwanda.

iguana wrote: »
    He smoked quite heavily when he was younger. Apparently to keep warm when he was down on his luck. Then he thought fcuk that and gave up overnight. From then on, like many the reformed smoker/whore he had a major bee in his bonnet with the practice. Brought in some of the first tobacco controls in history and funded research on the damaging effects of tobacco. He was fond of the odd liqueur and on occasion would even have a beer. The veggie bit was one of his doctors requests, but he regularly dismissed this request and was a fan of sausages. Bacon, the temptation, even the ruination of many a potential vegetarian. :)

The swastika has a long history in many cultures pre-dating the Nazis by centuries and even eons.

I would always look at the context in which it is used before automatically assuming a Nazi link.

Pat Buchanan or David Irvine?

Ah, as NegativeCreep would put it, your choice of phrase was simply "unfortunate", yes?

the quote was from JFK.

to display the swastika whether the Celtic or Hindu one is dangerous as the average citizen cannot tell it apart from the Nazi symbol and Irish people have been brainwashed into believing it to be a symbol of evil. I think we should boycott the National museum in Kildare Street. it has swastikas all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Breaking News shop burned down.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

He smoked quite heavily when he was younger. Apparently to keep warm when he was down on his luck. Then he thought fcuk that and gave up overnight. From then on, like many the reformed smoker/whore he had a major bee in his bonnet with the practice. Brought in some of the first tobacco controls in history and funded research on the damaging effects of tobacco. He was fond of the odd liqueur and on occasion would even have a beer. The veggie bit was one of his doctors requests, but he regularly dismissed this request and was a fan of sausages. Bacon, the temptation, even the ruination of many a potential vegetarian. :)

That's very interesting I never knew he was an ex smoker. No wonder he was such an arse about it.

They named a hotel in Hotel The Victoria only twenty years ago and nobody batted an eyelid.
    Ah, so a private company named a hotel which is on Victoria Place, a small street which has probably had that name since Victoria was on the throne, the Victoria Hotel. I wouldn't bat an eyelid either.

Quite a different proposition from the Corporation, a public representative body, proposing to name a street now in honour of Queen Victoria.

And as I also pointed out, there is a world of difference between Victoria and Hitler in any case.
    ethnic cleansing took place on our own doorstep in the Balkans and nobody cared or indeed in Rwanda.
    And your basis for the assertion that nobody cared is ... ?

For example, Irish Aid has targeted Rwanda as a priority since 1994, and many Irish Aid workers and funds have been sent there. Apart from government overseas aid funds, a large sum has been raised in Ireland by voluntary donations over the years, presumably from people who cared just a little bit.

And neither Rwanda nor the Balkans are "on our own doorstep" either physically or psychologically in the sense that Germany, France, Holland or Belgium, etc. are.
    the quote was from JFK.
    Ah, in 1945, so I see. At a time when much of the full facts were only beginning to emerge from Germany, and when he was ending his military service and hadn't begun his political career.

Plus I've never really bought into the myth of JFK as the hope of democracy and freedom anyway, so I can't say I'm as shocked as you may have hoped.

Certainly, but it is a pretty large factor. It's by far and away the most "popular" atrocity of relatively recent history. Celebrated - for the real need for a better word - in popular western culture. Hell it's damn near atrocity porn for some. Sadly.

Very bloody much so. I grew up with a childhood mate whose family had lost a whole generation in that period. Mercifully with enough familial distance that it wasn't so deeply raw as many in Europe after the dust settled and the truth came out. I grew up listening to the stories of two rellies who's been involved in liberating such camps, or observing same soon after. Like you said RLH it happened on our doorstep and that makes the atrocity that much keener and as was pointed out before the long history of shíte the Jewish people had lived under in Europe just added to it.

The name itself says everything "the final solution". The Nazis invented feck all. The previous "solutions" of identification, exclusion and ghettoisation et al were long before them and in their eyes only went so far. The final solution was annihilation. That's what they invented and followed through with. A 2000 year old arrow pointed at history with a Nazi telescopic sight added in.

It's why it still makes Europeans uncomfortable today(and I include America in that as a large cultural island of Europeanness) . But like I said it;s cos we're exposed to it all the more. We make movies and documentaries and books and all the rest, maybe as some mass cathartic expression? The sheer volume of popularity would suggest so. IT's why it hits so hard and makes us rate it as the worst. IMHO there's an element of race/culture snobbishness to it too. We deep down expect this guff from the "foreigner, the fuzzy wuzzy, the chink, the other" but this period wrankles because we were the "other" to ourselves and for the most part we can't quite explain it. Yet.

Add in the natural political stuff that stemmed from the formation of the state of Israel. They needed to keep it in the public mind of those who mattered and I don't fcuking blame them TBH, though I have serious misgivings over how they sought and seek to achieve what they need and deserve. History can repeat itself in ironic ways hand in hand with real shabbiness coming along for the ride.
    I agree with you that despite some black marks, the Irish are relatively free of this negative history; had the Jewish population in this country been bigger, I wonder if we would have been so? Have the attitudes you have no doubt seen reflected on this forum from some members over the last 10 years towards immigrants from Africa and even from Eastern Europe given you reason for confidence that the possibility for race hatred does not exist in the Irish psyche?
    Honestly? I think it's a more recent thing and influenced by outside cultural stuff. If you look back through history from the first texts of the Irish monks in cold damp blessed cells you see a feeling of wanting to be part of the greater, the wider world. Isolationists they were not. Neither were for the most part the diaspora that spread across the world(and not just America). We're similar to the Jews in that respect, both of us could be described as wandering, oft self hating, oft paranoid, oft at odds with who we are, and we have Irish mammies and Jewish mammies and shíte cuisine too :D My childhood mate had an Irish Jewish mammy. He was boned from birth :D

I do reckon our xenophobia is relatively recent. IT's only a generation ago when Irish men and women went on "the missions" to far flung parts of this globe to try and make a difference and maybe escape what it is to be us still here. A couple of 100,000 went and are largely forgotten today, except in those countries they went to. And we went to places beyond where "irish american" politicians hoover for votes sporting the green. The South Americas are positively infected with MIcks. Che Guevara Lynch but one example(a close mate of mine is a distant rellie of his). As a culture we've traveled and were welcoming to the wayfarer, like Columba, Columbanus et al a thousand years before us. One Saxon writer was flabbergasted to note that the Irish welcomes all seekers of learning for no recompense. We could do well to plug into that cultural history today.
    More as an interesting fact than anything else, one of the witnesses of the Nanjing Massacre was German businessman and Nazi Party member (as you pretty much had to be in Germany at that time if you had any aspirations to a successful business) John Rabe.

He was horrified at what he was witnessing, and appealed to Hitler to intervene with the Japanese government. Hitler refused. Rabe personally sheltered and hit many Chinese on his estate during that time, and documented the atrocity in his diaries, which became one of the few independent records of events which the Japanese High Command at the time made every effort to cover-up.

So Hitler's hands were not even clean in the matter of the Nanjing Massacre.

And not everyone who joined the Nazi party was a bastard.
    True and true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We had a boozer named after pravda..no one blinks an eye

we have a restaurant named after mao..no one blinks an eye

we have more hipsters walking around with CCP and hammer/sickle logo's than you could shake a panzer grenadier division at

So people bitching about hitler chic can STFU in my book

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

we have more hipsters walking around with CCP and hammer/sickle logo's than you could shake a panzer grenadier division at

In fairness Pravda only means truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Appreciate what you're saying Bambi, but the reality of the situation is, people have negative feelings about the Nazis, we are constantly reminded about them every day on TV, in Books, Newspapers etc.

Yes, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot etc did bad things too, but in the mindset of the general populous, Hitler and the Nazis are in a league of their own.

What you rather have?

Customers in your pub/restaurant/tea rooms filling your till ?
    Or your windows smashed every night ?

EDIT

I wonder what this guy had to say about the whole shop affair ?

Add in the natural political stuff that stemmed from the formation of the state of Israel. They needed to keep it in the public mind of those who mattered and I don't fcuking blame them TBH, though I have serious misgivings over how they sought and seek to achieve what they need and deserve. History can repeat itself in ironic ways hand in hand with real shabbiness coming along for the ride.
    Spot on.

Add in that many post-war leaders seem to have been influenced by both guilt and a desire to make reparation, and at the same time a fervent willingness to export both the 'problem' and the daily reminder of the horror, and, as too often happens in human history, from the ashes of one conflict are born the seeds of another.
    Honestly? I think it's a more recent thing and influenced by outside cultural stuff. If you look back through history from the first texts of the Irish monks in cold damp blessed cells you see a feeling of wanting to be part of the greater, the wider world. Isolationists they were not. Neither were for the most part the diaspora that spread across the world(and not just America). We're similar to the Jews in that respect, both of us could be described as wandering, oft self hating, oft paranoid, oft at odds with who we are, and we have Irish mammies and Jewish mammies and shíte cuisine too :D My childhood mate had an Irish Jewish mammy. He was boned from birth :D

I do reckon our xenophobia is relatively recent. IT's only a generation ago when Irish men and women went on "the missions" to far flung parts of this globe to try and make a difference and maybe escape what it is to be us still here. A couple of 100,000 went and are largely forgotten today, except in those countries they went to. And we went to places beyond where "irish american" politicians hoover for votes sporting the green. The South Americas are positively infected with MIcks. Che Guevara Lynch but one example(a close mate of mine is a distant rellie of his). As a culture we've traveled and were welcoming to the wayfarer, like Columba, Columbanus et al a thousand years before us. One Saxon writer was flabbergasted to note that the Irish welcomes all seekers of learning for no recompense. We could do well to plug into that cultural history today.

True and true.
    I by no means disagree with your general point, but still I wonder.

The Jewish population in Ireland was always small, and more a novelty than a threat. In the 1870s the Jewish population of Ireland was only about 250, before exiles fleeing European and especially Russian pogroms caused it to rise (interestingly, in the light of the history of the last decade, many of these came from Lithuania). It never exceeded 5,000, and is only about half that now.

If the population had been ten or twenty times that much, centred in the cities (which would have been more typical in Europe), with the business skills and industry which was historically a double-edged sword, in that it both caused them to prosper and drew unwelcome attention, envy and in time hatred, would they have been both more visible and seen as more of a threat?

Or given that we blamed everything on the English anyway, and didn't need the Jews to be our scapegoats, would that have made a difference?

The other major factor was of course the tendency of historical Christianity / Catholicism to demonise the Jews as Christ-murderers. Again, if they had been more visible, would we have had more John Creaghs? ... more intolerant bigots whipping up the crowds?

Yes, Ireland, comparatively speaking has a pretty good history in this respect. To what extent though is this a factor of the relatively small Jewish population? Or of the fact that we had someone else to blame for our woes?

It can be noted that the Irish government wasn't exactly throwing the doors open wide for Jewish refugees from the Holocaust. Names like Hugh O'Flaherty, TJ Kiernan and Delia Murphy are remembered with pride, and rightly so, but this eclipses a less than praiseworthy attitude by the state.

Interestingly, the first references to Jews in Ireland were in the Annals of Inisfallen in 1079: "Five Jews came from over sea with gifts to Toirdelbach, and they were sent back again over sea". Sent back, eh? Interesting choice of words!

I hope you're right, Wibbs, but I'm not so sanguine. 'Tis an academic discussion, though, we'll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

What an idiot. Now, none of the couple of tens of Jews in India will shop there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bearing in mind that the Jews suffered the most abominable atrocity in the history of mankind (The Shoah) that is the planned attemt at total genocide your post is abhorrent, insulting, and trollish.
    Yes 6 million died. But most of the people killed by the Nazi's and their Eastern European allies weren't Jewish.

The number of Polish civilians who died is also about 6 million.

13.7 million Soviet citizens , including Jews, died in Nazi occupied areas, including deaths from famine.

Jews did not have a monopoly on civilian suffering in Nazi occupied Europe.

And people need to be reminded of the extermination camps in Yugoslavia

http://www.gendercide.org/case_soviet.html
    In a mere eight months of 1941-42, the invading German armies killed an estimated 2.8 million Soviet prisoners-of-war through starvation, exposure, and summary execution. This little-known genocide vies with the genocide in Rwanda as the most concentrated mass killing in human history.

The Mongol depopulation of Northern China was probably the most genocidal episode in history.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As someone from India, vast majority of Indians wouldn't know much about Hitler
    Just as most people here wouldn't know about the millions who died in the Bengal Famine in 1943.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

People seem to be forgetting one of the main reasons The Shoah has been so ingrained into the minds of people, yes there were other genocides, mass killings and uncomprehendable numbers of deaths all through history but the sheer mechanisation and cold efficiency of Die Endlösung der Judenfrage gave what happened a level of horror that has given it a "flavour" that most people cannot fathom.
    Many more died in Mao's famine during The Great Leap forward for example, but those death were caused by disastrous planning and bureaucratic inefficiency combined (to a lesser extent) with natural causes, not a cold calculated plan enacted with startling efficiency.
    Often it the method of killing that will give a killer notoriety more than the number killed.

marcsignal wrote: »
    Breaking News shop burned down.

:pac:

accidentally of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

How could the shop owner Nazi anything wrong with the name of the store?

Ah, in 1945, so I see. At a time when much of the full facts were only beginning to emerge from Germany, and when he was ending his military service and hadn't begun his political career.

Plus I've never really bought into the myth of JFK as the hope of democracy and freedom anyway, so I can't say I'm as shocked as you may have hoped.[/QUOTE]

I did not intend to shock but I doubt you will find that a particular quote in a JFK book of quotes.
    the quote is from the summer of 1945 when the camps had been 'discovered'. some had been liberated in January of that year. I am surprised the all powerful Jewish lobby did not campaign against him, though they did not yield that much clout until much later 'when the full facts were known'.

a fashionista ha to apologise when he said Rommel was one of the best dressed men of the Reich.

• Advertisement
Advertisement