Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 29-08-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone

so I started a job nearly 2 weeks ago. I won't name the company but it is only until December with no chance of being extended.

Something else has come up that I am really interested in and it's permanent. I signed a contract with my current employer but is it legal to leave with notice (if I were successful of course)

Anything would be great :) Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you get the new job you applied for I would give 2 weeks notice to your present employer. You will need a reference and you don't want to be creating problems for yourself now or at a later date.
    The majority of employers would expect you to give 2 week notice.
    I would say the following to your present employer that you have enjoyed working here but you have been offered a longer term position and that you will pass over your work to your other co workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

okiss wrote: »
    If you get the new job you applied for I would give 2 weeks notice to your present employer. You will need a reference and you don't want to be creating problems for yourself now or at a later date.
    The majority of employers would expect you to give 2 week notice.
    I would say the following to your present employer that you have enjoyed working here but you have been offered a longer term position and that you will pass over your work to your other co workers.

Thank you for replying :) I would definitely only leave after giving notice for exactly the reason you said. I don't want to burn any bridges because they are a great company to work for, just unfortunate they can not offer me a permanent position.

I'm going to apply for the new one anyway and hopefully I'll have a few weeks until I need to say anything.
    I just wanted to make sure I was within my rights to leave.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement