Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local newspaper like Southside seems very Marixist

• 29-08-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Every week there seems to be a picture slapped onto the front of the South-Side newspaper of a 23 year old "single mother" of umpteen children wearing a big sad face, because the wicked County Council are not providing her with "adequate accommodation."One week they published a story that a tenant could hear her next door neighbour's TV.

Now we all know that nobody deserves to live in a dump but, is there any personal responsibility going on, is there any recognition that a perfectly good council house/flat for €25.00 per week ain't a bad deal. 3 children at 23 and single is a bit of a mystery to me also.

No other news items seem to get center stage in these useless local (free) papers. Does Karl Marx run the paper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Chinasea wrote: »
    Every week there seems to be a picture slapped onto the front of the South-Side newspaper of a 23 year old "single mother" of umpteen children wearing a big sad face, because the wicked County Council are not providing her with "adequate accommodation."One week they published a story that a tenant could hear her next door neighbour's TV.

Now we all know that nobody deserves to live in a dump but, is there any personal responsibility going on, is there any recognition that a perfectly good council house/flat for €25.00 per week ain't a bad deal. 3 children at 23 and single is a bit of a mystery to me also.

No other news items seem to get center stage in these useless local (free) papers. Does Karl Marx run the paper?
    Karl Marx is dead, so it can't be him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

He does. After 129 years, he has risen from Highgate cemetery to run a freesheet in South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

The part in bold writing I can explain for you.You ever hear of the stork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Southside People (or whatever it is called) is an abomination of a newspaper. Any time I see it, the front story is almost always a sympathy article for the typical dole scrounger AH loves so dearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Are they really only 25 per week :O

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    He does. After 129 years, he has risen from Highgate cemetery to run a freesheet in South Dublin.

Highgate cemetary that takes me back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Not a mystery at all. Career mother. Have as many kids as possible while throwing in bigger claims and demands because you're a lazy scrotebag.

I know one girl who has her own house, on about 5 or 600 a week altogether, while the fella works and claims residence somewhere else.

"Full Time Mammy" as her employment status on Facebook to put the icing on the cake. Should be taken out and made work the Tara mines for 12 hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Boombastic wrote: »
    Karl Marx is dead, so it can't be him

Elvis has come back to life for the who would you gaydate thread, so its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Not a mystery at all. Career mother. Have as many kids as possible while throwing in bigger claims and demands because you're a lazy scrotebag.

I know one girl who has her own house, on about 5 or 600 a week altogether, while the fella works and claims residence somewhere else.

"Full Time Mammy" as her employment status on Facebook to put the icing on the cake. Should be taken out and made work those mines out near Navan for 12 hours a day.

Throw a probably not very bright woman into slavery in a mine because she abuses a system that asks for it. WTF man. Keyboard warrior attacking welfare mom.
    Maybe address the system rather than throwing people into chains. I hate having to read this trash. Boards collective IQ gets lowered with everyone of these mob mentality gibes at random groups and people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Southside People (or whatever it is called) is an abomination of a newspaper. Any time I see it, the front story is almost always a sympathy article for the typical dole scrounger AH loves so dearly

I thought we hated them :confused:. Why can't we just go with a consistent policy on these things and have AH running smoothly? None of this argument nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Shryke wrote: »
    Throw a probably not very bright woman into slavery in a mine because she abuses a system that asks for it. WTF man. Keyboard warrior attacking welfare mom.

I think he was joking

"Full Time Mammy" as her employment status on Facebook to put the icing on the cake. Should be taken out and made work the Tara mines for 12 hours a day.

Mines might be a bit harsh alright, just make her live in Navan:pac:

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I think he was joking

I want to be outraged for a bit while my wedges cook in the oven. Don't ruin the fun.

Maybe address the system rather than throwing people into chains. I hate having to read this trash. Boards collective IQ gets lowered with everyone of these mob mentality gibes at random groups and people.

Take it with a pinch of salt and chill the f*** out. No need to take it literally. This is AH if you hadn't noticed.

Yes we do need to address the system. Most of these women have enough relatives or immediate family who can put them up at home for a start.

I'll hand it over to you Shryke for more ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

You do know that this is not at all the sort of issue that Marx would have concerned himself with? It's clearly just a **** paper.

Take it with a pinch of salt and chill the f*** out. No need to take it literally. This is AH if you hadn't noticed.

Yes we do need to address the system. Most of these women have enough relatives or immediate family who can put them up at home for a start.

I'll hand it over to you Shryke for more ideas.

Prostitution. If she wants to have kids she can work while she makes them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

WHICH SOUTHSIDE?????

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

"One week they published a story that a tenant could hear her next door neighbour's TV.
    I want to be outraged for a bit while my wedges cook in the oven. Don't ruin the fun.

*writes to social welfare

Dear Sir,

I want a bigger flat, because as I write, I can smell my neighbour "Shryke's" wedges cooking in the oven.:mad:

yours sincerely

marcsignal

Prostitution. If she wants to have kids she can work while she makes them?

As long as I don't have to fund the s***ebag's existence, she can knock herself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is Richard Boyd Barrett from the Southside? He could explain Marxism.

http://swpradiocast.bandcamp.com/track/the-radical-left-in-europe-marxism-2011

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    *writes to social welfare

Dear Sir,

I want a bigger flat, because as I write, I can smell my neighbour "Shryke's" wedges cooking in the oven.:mad:

yours sincerely

marcsignal

Come back, I'll share...
    As long as I don't have to fund the s***ebag's existence, she can knock herself out.

You're into some expensive stuff. My dinner is potato wedges, I wouldn't afford a handjob.
    Do you pay a lot of tax then, and does her existence anger you more than say the bondholder bailout or the ground up corruption and abuse that's rife in every facet in modern society? Did this poor sow knock you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If it bothers you so much, why do you read it every week?

I assume you mine this:
    SINGLE mother of two young children is facing the prospect of moving to a homeless shelter after cuts to her rent supplement means she can no longer afford to pay for her rented accommodation.

Claire Doyle (23), from Clondalkin, said she has fallen foul of the Government’s introduction of the Rent Supplement Review that was announced in last year’s budget.

The review, put forward by Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton, intends to supply short-term income support to people who are renting non-State owned accommodation but whose income is not enough to meet the rental costs.

However, Ms Doyle, who has a one-year-old daughter and a three-year-old son, said her rent was cut after she informed her local welfare officer that she was receiving maintenance payments of €45 per week for her two young children.

“I can’t believe it’s come to this,” Ms Doyle told Southside People.

“I’m devastated. I can’t sleep or barely eat over it all. I’ve had to make an appointment with my doctor to see can I get sleeping tablets because I’m finding it so hard to sleep. I’m struggling to pay my bills and feed the children as it is so there’s no way I can pay the rest of the rent money.”

She explained how she had to contact Focus Ireland - a charity that supports those facing homelessness - to see if there was any way she could avoid going to a homeless shelter.

However, the only solution is cheaper accommodation, but Ms Doyle said she would not be able to meet even these reduced costs due to the cuts to her rent allowance.

She explained how she has been served a notice to quit the premises by her landlord and will be homeless from the end of August.

However, she said she takes no issue with her landlord, as she believes he is within his right to maintain the current rental fee for the property.

“I don’t have a problem with the landlord as this is not his problem,” she stated. “I was able to afford the rent until it was cut. My son is supposed to be starting school in September. I’ve managed to get his uniform and all his things in, but how am I supposed to get him to school every morning from a homeless shelter in town? I don’t want my kids to have to live in a shelter, but I don’t know what else I can do.”

Ms Doyle said she can’t return to her mother’s home because there are currently nine people residing there.

“The house would be too overcrowded, so I can’t even go back there,” she said. “It looks like the only option I have is to go homeless. I’ve contacted South Dublin County Council but there doesn’t seem to be anything they can do. I’ve been on the housing list for three years now for permanent accommodation, but there’s been nothing yet.”

Sinn Fein’s Dublin Mid-West representative, Eoin Ó Broin, who is seeking to highlight Ms Doyle’s case, has described the situation as “absolutely disgraceful”.

“Rent supplement is meant to assist people unable to meet the full cost of their rent in the private sector,” he said. “That a rent review should result in a young family being forced out onto the street or into homeless accommodation is absolutely disgraceful. It also makes no financial sense as the cost of emergency accommodation for a family will be significantly higher than the original rent supplement payment.”

“This is not the first case of significant payment reductions following rent supplement reviews that I have come across,” he added. “In recent months it has become increasingly common. The Department of Social Protection is clearly intent on reducing its spending on this area irrespective of the costs to families. It is simply unacceptable that a benefit designed to keep people out of homelessness is having the opposite effect," he said.

A spokesperson for the Department of Social Protection said they could not comment on individual cases.

Last year, there were 96,800 recipients of rent supplement with a total expenditure on the scheme of €503 million. At the end of June 2012 there were 92,200 recipients with €436 million provided for this year.

“Budget 2012 provided for reductions in the rate of payment for all rent supplement recipients due to increases in the minimum contribution payable by tenants and adjustments to the maximum rent limits,” a spokesperson stated.

The spokesperson said the minimum contribution payable by all rent supplement tenants was increased by a minimum of €6 from €24 to €30 per week.

This reduction was applied to all customers from January 2012.

She was honest enough to tell them she was receiving the 45 pw in maintenance, and they gave her a financial punch in the face. Am I supposed to side with you and say 'yeah shes nothing but a fúcking scrounger'. 45pw wouldn't come close to the cost of bringing two children as young as one and three up per week. While there are people that are not what I would call deserving of a SW payment, there are some honest cases and they're being repeated kicked in the hole by the SW.

They are constantly reducing the rate of payments across the board, and anywhere else they can chop entitlements. There are honestly people with their arses against the wall, and then they've to face the ridicule of the public for being a lone parent. She has kids at 23, so did my mother. So fúcking what. Another thinly veiled rant about single mothers. FFS.

Oh and she has 2 kids, not 'umpteen'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Abi wrote: »

I assume you mine this:

She was honest enough to tell them she was receiving the 45 pw in maintenance, and they gave her a financial punch in the face. Am I supposed to side with you and say 'yeah shes nothing but a fúcking scrounger'. 45pw wouldn't come close to the cost of bringing two children as young as one and three up per week. While there are people that are not what I would call deserving of a SW payment, there are some honest cases and they're being repeated kicked in the hole by the SW.

They are constantly reducing the rate of payments across the board, and anywhere else they can chop entitlements. There are honestly people with their arses against the wall, and then they've to face the ridicule of the public for being a lone parent. She has kids at 23, so did my mother. So fúcking what. Another thinly veiled rant about single mothers. FFS.

GTFO WITH YOUR FACTS AND HAND ME MY PITCHFORK!!!!!!!111!!!ONE!!!ELEVEN!!!

I assume you mine this:

She was honest enough to tell them she was receiving the 45 pw in m..................

No, it's zinc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Yeah why dont they support the middle class tax evaders instead of supporting the 450,000 layabout dole scroungers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I assume you mine this:

Post of the day,week, month, and year so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yeah why dont they support the middle class tax evaders instead of supporting the 450,000 layabout dole scroungers!
    Because the newspaper covers an area where people are either a dole scrounger or a middle class tax evader :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am far from Left Wing but

I would like to see any of the critics on this thread step into that girls shoes and bring up two kids on their own with that kind of money at that age

Biggest mistake she made was being honest with the backward "system"

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

Shinners and Dole Scroungers take over local rag shocker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

How is hearing your next door neighbour's TV Marxist? Or the other story?

Just seems like a typical local newspaper trying to fill space and not much going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

You'd like the northside version even less OP, the Shinners are in it every week supporting the same kind of person that you mentioned as a regular fixture of the Southside People.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lol @ the OP who obviously has no clue whatsoever what marxist means

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

3 children at 23 and single is a bit of a mystery to me also.

I didn't think they had this sort of person on the Southside. Are the 3 children from different fathers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I didn't think they had this sort of person on the Southside. Are the 3 children from different fathers?

Yeah.. that one was a pile of wanky generalisations. There were two kids and no mention of different fathers. But lets not get that get in the way of the flamed torches..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Shinners and Dole Scroungers take over local rag shocker...

great first post, can't wait for your second :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

great first post, can't wait for your second :rolleyes:

Groutchy Groutch Grouctherson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Groutchy Groutch Grouctherson.

Yes, Groucho upstaged Karl at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Popular/ AH definitions of Marxism
    • The Lone Parent's Allowance
    • Occupy Dame Street
    • The concept of a 'social floor'
    • Single mothers
    • High taxes
    • The Labour Party
    • Stalin
    • Vincent Browne
    • Synonym for inefficiency
    • Abortion enthusiasm
    • Possibly Mental illness/ lunatics

What Marxism actually means
    A collection of various social, political and economic doctrines esp. which may be derived from placing greater emphasis on (a) the value of labour over the value of capital along with (b) society's interests over those of individuals or oligarchs.

Lol @ the OP who obviously has no clue whatsoever what marxist means

To be honest neither do I :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It never ceases to amaze me that Boards manages to direct far more ire at ordinary people who abuse the system than at the elite which abuses the system.
    Honestly, there are more threads on Boards bashing welfare claimants than there are threads bashing Sean FitzPatrick and David Drumm. :confused:

If I had to choose one group or the other to lock up and throw away the key I know damn well which group would be in for it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It never ceases to amaze me that Boards manages to direct far more ire at ordinary people who abuse the system...

It's not even the ones that are abusing it most of the time. This thread being a prime example.

Come back, I'll share...

You're into some expensive stuff. My dinner is potato wedges, I wouldn't afford a handjob.
    Do you pay a lot of tax then, and does her existence anger you more than say the bondholder bailout or the ground up corruption and abuse that's rife in every facet in modern society? Did this poor sow knock you back?

Wedges are fantastic !

They both anger me equally.

Why would she knock me back when she can get another kid out of it ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Wedges are fantastic !

They both anger me equally.

Why would she knock me back when she can get another kid out of it ? :D
    What's the going rate per child, €29.80 until the child reaches 14 years of age, is it? And about €35 in child benefit that everybody gets regardless of income? So in or around €65 per week?

And you really believe that an individual squeezes out sprogs for whatever change they would have out of feeding, clothing, entertaining and raising their growing children on €65 per week?

All these mothers living the high life from whatever is left over, are they? Helicopter rides, Cap Ferrat, and Moet & Chandon, is it?

All that work, all that crying, all that babysick, all that effort. Do you see that there might be a credibility problem with this notion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

imme wrote: »
    You'd like the northside version even less OP, the Shinners are in it every week supporting the same kind of person that you mentioned as a regular fixture of the Southside People.

Shinners defending wimmin with children? The dirty bastards....they should be proscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I fail to see the need week after week to highlight the plight of what is, imo, the irresponsible behavior of adults who get them selves into these situations where they demand housing, entitlements, most of whom have NEVER and will never contribute to the society that they demand from.

The problem is the accepted trend. Moreover this given lack of personal responsibility, which in Ireland cushions you and automatically opts you out from ever having to contribute back in to your society, the very one that props up your questionable lifestyle choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am far from Left Wing but

I would like to see any of the critics on this thread step into that girls shoes and bring up two kids on their own with that kind of money at that age

Biggest mistake she made was being honest with the backward "system"

No, her biggest mistake was having 2 kids she can't provide for without the help of the state.

She messed up once. Fair enough it happens, but twice? really, twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I'm not really keen on wedges at all. Too mushy. Crispy chips any day for me.

later12 wrote: »
    What's the going rate per child, €29.80 until the child reaches 14 years of age, is it? And about €35 in child benefit that everybody gets regardless of income? So in or around €65 per week?

And you really believe that an individual squeezes out sprogs for whatever change they would have out of feeding, clothing, entertaining and raising their growing children on €65 per week?

All these mothers living the high life from whatever is left over, are they? Helicopter rides, Cap Ferrat, and Moet & Chandon, is it?

All that work, all that crying, all that babysick, all that effort. Do you see that there might be a credibility problem with this notion?

I'll bite the bullet and say I over exaggerated the whole intention of it. But it's blatantly obvious the type the OP is referring to who make the same "mistake" twice or three times haven't a bull's notion of responsibility.

And we're not on about your average lone parent who works, get's an education and earns a crust for themselves. I'm talking about that minority who are straight onto the housing list with dole, rent allowance, the whole shabang. While daddy either draws the dole/works himself and claims residency elsewhere.

I know at least three couples like this and they have it quite comfortable at the moment, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Does Karl Marx run the paper?

I don't think you know that much about Karl Marx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

later12 wrote: »
    Popular/ AH definitions of Marxism
    • The Lone Parent's Allowance
    • Occupy Dame Street
    • The concept of a 'social floor'
    • Single mothers
    • High taxes
    • The Labour Party
    • Stalin
    • Vincent Browne
    • Synonym for inefficiency
    • Abortion enthusiasm
    • Possibly Mental illness/ lunatics

What Marxism actually means
    A collection of various social, political and economic doctrines esp. which may be derived from placing greater emphasis on (a) the value of labour over the value of capital along with (b) society's interests over those of individuals or oligarchs.

Steady on there - that's a bit too much education

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement