Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordyline shoots

Options
  • 29-08-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

I cut down two cordyline trees in recent years but shoots from the trunk in the ground come up every year leaving me to cut them back with shears. There is probably a commercial chemical to stop the growth but I heard that paraffin oil can do the trick? Can anyone advise me on this or some other way to solve the problem. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dig them out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

They are called watershoots.

Dig up the tree stump/trunk.

Thats what we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Thanks for replies - that's heavy surgery in the attached pic!

I wouldn't be able to dig up those stumps myself - mine are cut to ground level btw.

Many years ago, I drilled holes in the stump of an old tree trunk, shook in a chemical I bought and covered the trunk/stump to kill it off, and it worked.

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Another (slow) approach, if you can afford the space being taken up by the stumps is just to keep removing/killing the shoots (I cut them or, if I am spraying else where with Roundup, spay them) this eventually "exhausts" the roots which rot and you can then kick over the stumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Bixy, that's what I've been doing but mine refuse to give up, they came close to it but have survived.
    Maybe I should try Roundup. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement