Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad not as expected

Options
  • 29-08-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I wanted something to play youtube videos while my girlfriend watches soaps on the TV and occasionally use the GPS.

So i went to the Expert shop in in Co. Sligo. I wanted a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but it was sold out. The sales guy (and I assume the owner, Joe) convinced me that the new iPad was the best thing going.

I asked him if the iPad has GPS, he told me it did. He didn't specify that I had to buy the "4G" version of the iPad.

After I bought the iPad, I found a few problems.
    1) It doesn't play youtube playlists in the "YouTube" app. I've tried buying a few on the app store, but none of them work.
    2) It's randomly dropping wifi in certian areas of my house where my old laptop has full signal.
    3) There's no GPS because I only bought the wifi version.

The Galaxy Tab 2 is considerably cheaper than the iPad, and i'm a huge fan of android. It also has GPS without paying any extra.

I tried taking my iPad back after a week to the same guy, he compared me returning the iPad to someone buying a car and returning it after a week just because "they don't like it". He told me by all means to go to the Citizen's Info office for advice.

I'm genuinely not satisfied with the iPad and I thought that was all that was needed in order to return an item.

Before I do, I'd like a few people's opinions about how to proceed.

Edit: I forgot to add: This guy had got onto Apple for me about returning the item because I am dissatisfied. Apple responded with something along the lines of "Apple don't provide customer remorse for their products."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Sell it and buy an android. Avoid the shop in the future. I always spend a long time mulling over a purchase so by the time I'm buying, I know what I want and have made my mind up. There should be a good market for a nearly new ipad, there's plenty of fanbois around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I wanted something to play youtube videos while my girlfriend watches soaps on the TV and occasionally use the GPS.

So i went to the Expert shop in in Co. Sligo. I wanted a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 but it was sold out. The sales guy (and I assume the owner, Joe) convinced me that the new iPad was the best thing going.

I asked him if the iPad has GPS, he told me it did. He didn't specify that I had to buy the "4G" version of the iPad.

1) It doesn't play youtube playlists in the "YouTube" app. I've tried buying a few on the app store, but none of them work.
    2) It's randomly dropping wifi in certian areas of my house where my old laptop has full signal.

The Galaxy Tab 2 is considerably cheaper than the iPad, and i'm a huge fan of android. It also has GPS without paying any extra.

I tried taking my iPad back after a week to the same guy, he compared me returning the iPad to someone buying a car and returning it after a week just because "they don't like it". He told me by all means to go to the Citizen's Info office for advice.

I'm genuinely not satisfied with the iPad and I thought that was all that was needed in order to return an item.

You could have grounds on the basis that it was mis-sold to you (told it had GPS but doesn't) but I'm pretty sure you cannot return something just because you don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Edit: I forgot to add: This guy had got onto Apple for me about returning the item because I am dissatisfied. Apple responded with something along the lines of "Apple don't provide customer remorse for their products."

Apples hated of Flash and vis a vis You tube can only be equated to the KKK and African Americans. (I stand to corrected on the technicalities :D). So that's one area where he has not given you good advice - not fatal to the contract imho though.

The GPS thing is though. It boils down to I want GPS - and he then sold you one that doesn't. Citizens advice and NCA are only there to advise you. Get a small claims court case going.

As to the wifi - laptops are bigger and have more space for better components - you may find that all tablets do that - or not.

EDIT: To echo the comments above - it may very well be the course of least resistance to sell it second hand. Apple stuff is a cult with the appropriate lack of logic when it comes to purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

It's irritating to have to sell it on. I checked before I bought it, I've instantly lost €100 2nd hand + €40 ebay fees <_<

It's irritating to have to sell it on. I checked before I bought it, I've instantly lost €100 2nd hand + €40 ebay fees <_<

Small claims then me lado - I would make the lack of GPS you're main thrust and list the other stuff as background irritations.

Incidentally Apple have nothing to do with this they weren't a party to the contract.

EDIT: Use adverts.ie - I frequently see Apple stuff going on there for more than people must have paid for it new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont sell it on ebay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The iPad does have GPS when you are in a wifi area, the 3G/4G would have it everywhere you can get a signal not just wifi areas, that is one of the reasons why G's are more expensive, you pay for better connectivity. Did you specify that you wanted GPS on the move ?

davo10 wrote: »
    The iPad does have GPS when you are in a wifi area, the 3G/4G would have it everywhere you can get a signal not just wifi areas, that is one of the reasons why G's are more expensive, you pay for better connectivity. Did you specify that you wanted GPS on the move ?

This is a good point but I;d say you could make the argument that a GPS that doesn't work globally isn't a GPS at all. Now we can argue that one all day but it'll come down to the registrar on the day - if it ever gets that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

davo10 wrote: »

As far as i know the WiFi only iPad does not have GPS. It may have the ability to locate itself through the WiFi network but that is not GPS. The WiFi + cellular one comes with Assisted GPS and GLONASS. There's a big difference between GPS and network locating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Sorry for wasting posts, just read iPad forums, no gps chip in iPad 3 wifi version, if op specifically asked for gps then it would seem he was not sold what he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

sell it on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rusty_Mectum

Which iPad is this OP? What was the original price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hey OP -

I had a similar problem a number of years ago, so apologies if the details are a bit sketchy in my head. I bought a GPS from the Sony Centre on Baggot Street, and, when I was looking, I told the salesman that I wanted a unit that had a trip computer (i.e. could tell me how long I'd been travelling, avg. speed, fuel consumption - this is exactly what I said to the salesman) and that I wanted a unit that had bluetooth, to route my phonecalls through.

He told me that a: no Sony units had bluetooth and b: the unit he sold me had the trip computer I was after, so I bought it.

I quickly discovered that it didn't have anything like the information I wanted in trip computer, but decided I could do without that. However, I figured maybe I just couldn't find the info I needed, so browsed the sony site to check - and I found that they did, in fact, have a model that had bluetooth.

I went back to the store with the unit and spoke to the guy. He remembered me, and remembered I'd asked for bluetooth. I told him that Sony did in fact have a bluetooth model, and I wouldn't have bought the model I bought if I'd known this. A manager overheard us, and offered to swap the model I had for the more expensive model with bluetooth at no charge. I told him that I wanted a refund - he said no. I told him the reason I didn't want another sony because of the trip computer thing, and said that the unit had been mis-sold. In fairness to the sales guy, he confirmed to the manager that he had thought that the information I wanted was on the GPS, and so I got my money back.

The Sales of Goods and Services act 1980 specifically covers this:

-Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

but to be honest, it sounds like the guy who sold it would maybe dispute that you asked about GPS, or claim that he told you it was only available on the 4G model. Unless you have proof, you're probably stuck. I don't think the youtube issue or the wifi issue are substantial enough for a refund (again unless you specifically mentioned them at the time)

Advertisement