Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert? or plc?

• 29-08-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm orginally from Britain and I moved to Ireland 3 years ago with my family my mother being Irish herself. At 16 I did my GSCSE's finishing school. I found it really hard to continue my education here as I had to be a mininum or 3 years to get a grant. Or even attend college I didn't get a good GSCE for maths. Which has never been my strong suit unfortunately. I attended art and design for a while at a local college. But found it extremely boring plus I had to pay for many expensive materials, because I wasn't entitled to anything. Also I was told by receptionist who was very rude to me said that I was too old to do a leaving cert I'm 19. When I know someone who retook their leav cert at the age of 28! I've been to a local girl's school and spoken to the principal my younger sister attend's the school she's doing 5th year in a couple of days. The principal spoke to me saying that I couldn't just do the one year I have to take both year's 5th and 6th studying 6 subjects as doing just the one year I'd struggle. But I honestly think I can do it. I really want to become a zoologist but I'm getting into my head it will be impossible. Everyone keeps just saying do hairdressing I don't want to be a hairdresser! I've always loved animals and wanted to study the endagered speices, go traveling ect. Just the whole maths thing is holding me back. I've already done school I really want to move on,the local Plc courses aren't good around here I'm even wanting to get a student visa or permit one day but I keep thinking the negative. Also I don't know if I should do leav cert or Plc

any opinions please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't understand the student visa/permit reference - are you a UK or EU citizen?

If you are, you can do any course you want.

I would suggest to give yourself the widest range of courses to choose from that you do your Leaving Certificate. Your local VEC Education Officer will point you towards centres that deal with people of all ages (up to their 70s) doing the Leaving Cert., some for the first time, some on a repeat basis.

Advertisement