Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing letter from Ulster Bank

Options
  • 29-08-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

I just got a disturbing letter from Ulster Bank giving me their condolences on the death of my husband who is alive and kicking in front of me.. absolutely horrified by it .

Any ideas on how to handle this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

lucylu wrote: »
    I just got a disturbing letter from Ulster Bank giving me their condolences on the death of my husband who is alive and kicking in front of me.. absolutely horrified by it .

:eek: I have no words.

That is shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have sunk to a new low.

That is almost as good as the letter they sent me saying my DD was not paid because I was dead. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Words fail me.........................maybe get your husband to make an appointment with the writer & present the letter to him then!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

It's either a bad Ulster Bank clerical error or someone with a twisted sense of humour and your bank account number contacted them to notify them as a prank. I'd write back to them and ask them to explain why they sent you this letter as it caused you some distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Tell him it's time to let go of this world and to head for the light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

it was a clerical error, one that should not have happened,
    the letter was more than likely meant for somebody else but the incorrect name and address were put on the letter.
    send a registered letter to the complaints department with a copy of the letter outlining your concern at receiving such a letter.
    and see what happens,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Is this really that big of a deal? The reverse would be far worse, sending letters to a dead person chasing debts or suchlike. There was no malice involved I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Are you looking for something out of this?
    You knew straight away it was a mistake.It should not have happened.Send them a letter.
    My advice....get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Send them a letter asking if the life insurance will be kicking in and covering the mortgage ;)

They'll be quick to sort any errors then I'm sure.

On the other hand, just make a copy of the letter, send them a copy with your own letter informing them of the situation. It will be investigated to see if it was a clerical error or a sick joke. Most likely the former tho in fairness. If you are truly upset then I suppose you gave give Joe something to talk about for a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Tow

Islander13 wrote: »
    Is this really that big of a deal? The reverse would be far worse, sending letters to a dead person chasing debts or suchlike. There was no malice involved I'm sure

Yes. As the bank will lockdown all the accounts in the husbands name.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Contact the number on the letter ASAP before the accounts run into trouble and dd/so get sent back. Also inform your husband not to use his ATM card as its more or less been stopped. However it could be just the wrong address so nothing has happened to the accounts.

It sounds like they've confused your husbands accounts with someone else who has passed away. Easy mistake to make if there happens to be a few hundred people with the same name etc however it's 100% unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Could this be yet another computer glitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Frame it and hang it on the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Not surprising. Probably being preoccupied with the three week fiasco they managed to drop a folder with sensitive customer information. Someone picked it up and returned it, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

How people can say get over it, maybe write to them and let them know of it and leave it there.

Personally I would be looking for a breakdown of how the error happened and to know it wont happen again. I would like some faith restored to ensure I do my banking and my savings are good with the bank. what if the "clerical error" next time means my credit rating is affected or money is taken from my account in error and I am left stranded with no funds.

Complain and get an answer as to what happened and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

It's an error. UB have made way bigger mistakes than this. By all means inform them of the error, but not make a complaint. In fact you should frame the letter and hang it in the hall as a reminder to your husband of how lucky he is to be still around, kicking or not :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Get them to pay out on his life insurance !

Advertisement