Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Conditioning Recharge

Options
  • 29-08-2012 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

I'm looking for a lad who used work at Morrisons Motors Cahir. He has since left and I believe he's set up himself somewhere in the Cahir area. A friend needs the air conditioning refilled in a BMW. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

I can't give much details but Gerry O'Sullivan recommended a guy living in Newcastle, if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Top parts sell a DIY recharge kit, ask for Kevin he'll run you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Were did the gas go out of the system?

Was it lost while the car was having other work done or is there some other issue with the air-con?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Cerbera wrote: »
    Were did the gas go out of the system?

Was it lost while the car was having other work done or is there some other issue with the air-con?

aircon gas goes off looses effectiveness over time, my 86 corolla had aircon wasnt working no pressure in the system at all regassed it and worked perfect

we re-charge air con in work Kevin O Learys, its not a very hard job really just connect it up and leave it work away it can take a few hours to do though

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

DaveJac wrote: »
    aircon gas goes off looses effectiveness over time, ......

No it doesn't.

The systems will stay working efficiently indefinitely once all the gas is in there and there are no other mechanical issues with any of the components.

The gas doesn't change with age.

Many car a/c systems will have leaks and putting gas in without finding out where the original gas went to is often only a short-term solution.

The compressor shaft seals can leak on systems that get little or no use (the lubricating oil in the compressor helps maintain the seal as long as it's moving around enough to get to the seal itsels) and the condensers can leak from getting hit with stones, etc and of course any of the other components could also fail but these are the two most common leak points.

Also if a condenser / compressor / pipes / etc have to be removed to access some other parts in the car it means it's obvious why the gas is gone and makes the leak testing a lot easier.

That's why I was asking where the original gas went.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Tony Fitzgerald on the Clonmel road in Cahir will regas your car for you. Got mine done there. He is an electrical appliance engineer, but used to work in a Rover garage in the UK, iirc. But if there is a leak, as others have said, it will need more than just a regas. I know of someone that did work in Morrisons years ago and I think he is now into air con systems, but I wouldn't let him repair even a Matchbox car, let alone a real one.

Advertisement