Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet. Med

Options
  • 29-08-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey, I can't seem to find many on this doing Veterinary Medicine in UCD this year. I'm really confused about this registering for modules, does anyone know what modules I'm meant to register for? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

DN300?

You have 10 core modules, which means you will have 2 electives to be used that can be selected from anywhere in UCD.
    You can read what modules you have here under the heading 'Stage 1'

You may be preregistered for these, but in case you are not, there is the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tarakerr

omg someone else doing vet med at last ! lolol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brownstone

Thank you :)..I see, I understand the 10 core modules. But the electives, what do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KoolAndDaGang

I'm confused also! I don't know if we have to pick electives related to Veterinary or from any area?!

I'm confused also! I don't know if we have to pick electives related to Veterinary or from any area?!

Me too... I can't find anything on the electives :confused:

• Advertisement

I found a few things on the website about electives, but it seemed very general! What date did you get to pick your offers?:)

Yeah, I'm beyond confused now. Ah this Friday, at 11am. And you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Electives, as far as I know, is the same for everyone. You can pick from anything at all in UCD

brownstone wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm beyond confused now. Ah this Friday, at 11am. And you? :)
    Friday at 2pm, I hope the modules won't be taken by that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jwof2006

Should I pick electives from veterinary or am I not allowed??? I'd prefer not to but I suppose if it makes the exams easier.I'm confused:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

You can pick electives from vetinary if you want. Is your choice. The idea of electives is so you can do something that interests you that might not be part of your course, but if it so happens that the elective you want to do is in your course, in this case vet, then you can pick if if you want. But you also have the option of picking from another course (Arts, Business, Computers etc) if that's what you want to do

tgdaly wrote: »
    The idea of electives is so you can do something that interests you that might not be part of your course

Exactly. The elective is 10 ECTS, or two modules or 5 ECTS each. You can use them on any module in UCD unless its been restricted. If I were doing vet med and wanted to expand my knowledge base, I'd probably look at the Ag Sci options.
    But really, do what interests you. Language, Science, Engineering etc.

Thanks everyone, thats a real help! :)

Hi, one of the elective choices for semester 2 is vet orientation/career development. I would prefer to do something else but it seems stupid not to do this...........

Was it preselected for you or just a suggested module?
    You don't have to do it if its only suggested, but it looks like it could be a handy module.

its just suggested.:eek:

Then it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You've probably already registered but here's my 2 cents- vet careers (only vet elective for 1st yr, offered 2nd semester) has a low workload and was pretty interesting- debates about ethical issues, overview of 5yrs in vet med, etc. Also, no end of semester exam! Pick stuff with a low amount of work and/or no end of semester exam as you'll have enough to study for! Bunch of my class took medical zoology 1st semester and hated it- harder than they thought and negative marking on everything :(

Just realized I forgot about the other 2nd semester vet elective- ethics, I think. Heard it was a pain in the ass and to avoid it!

Advertisement