Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Register of deeds and Land Registry conflicts

• 29-08-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if there has ever been legal cases where 2 people have deeds to the same property, 1 with the register of deeds and the other with the land registry, and where I might find transcripts.

would it be correct to say that the earlier deed would be the successful one?

Thanks,

Wazzo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Hi,

I'm wondering if there has ever been legal cases where 2 people have deeds to the same property, 1 with the register of deeds and the other with the land registry, and where I might find transcripts.

Thanks,

Wazzo.

You wouldn't find a transcript per se but written judgments can be found on bailii.org - As for tracking down something to search on is beyond my (rather poor) legal research skills. Do you have access to any academic sources?

EDIT: Sorry I did try and have a look at the couple of books I have here but it's way over my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

cheers, no access to any papers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Hi,

Thanks,

Wazzo.

No, I don't think you'ld be correct if you said that.

Apart from a situation where the person who is registered in the LR as absolute owner (assuming its absolute ownership we're talking about), recognises and admits that there is some error, and they are not actually the owner, I can't think of any situation where the existence of a prior deed would have any bearing on the title to the property.

Perhaps someone else might come up with a scenario that I can't think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Gamrab1974

Land Registry boundaries are not definitive. There have been cases where a plot of land was registered in both the Land Reg and ROD. As Land Reg not definive as to boundaries, the ROD title wins.

See Tomkins Estates Ltd v O'Callaghan 16 March 1995 McCracken J.

Advertisement