Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must haves for your garden!

Options
  • 29-08-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi there!

We are currently in the process of planning our garden (there's about 1.25 acres after the house and driveway are built). I love magnolia trees (the magnolia solangia especially) and I've always wanted a Japanese maple and some cherry blossoms.

What plants/flowers/shrubs/trees would ye not be without in your garden?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi there!

We are currently in the process of planning our garden (there's about 1.25 acres after the house and driveway are built). I love magnolia trees (the magnolia solangia especially) and I've always wanted a Japanese maple and some cherry blossoms.

What plants/flowers/shrubs/trees would ye not be without in your garden?

Birch trees and lots of different ferns too.:)

Hornbeam or beech/copper beech hedge rows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Can't believe I forgot about silver birches - they really are beautiful. And I love the architectural look of ferns. Thanks Paddy!

I'm planning to put in some lupins and foxgloves, those white hydrenga (sp!) plants as well. There'll be a nice sized herb garden and an entertainment area in a cicular shape with nice smelling flowers around it like night jasmine and lavender, lots of lavender!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Love my 'Solomon's Seals' Mint, Roses, Apple Tree's and my Walnut Tree's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Advice, before you choose random plants that you like
    Make sure they are suitable to your site. Things to consider soil type, aspect, prevailing winds , drainage etc.
    that said some of my fav trees liquidamber, robinia, fagus sylvatica'asplenifolia', chamecyparis nootkatensis ' pendula, walnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Prunus avium 'Plena' most beautiful double white flowered cherry you can find, but no scent.
    Apples, philadelphus, zebrina for the scent.
    jackmontii birches, whiter than white.
    purple beech hedge set off by green beech hedge.
    prostrate yew for ground cover, can get big though.
    set aside a natural area with ash sorbus willows hawthorn spindle etc and logpiles to get on with itself, next to the compost heap.
    vegetable patch 4 raised beds 6m long 1m wide enough for anyone
    polytunnel "great for the kids in winter"
    visit garden center once a month for 12 months to see what they have in flower that you like.
    plan your paths and beds and other layout first.
    winter interest in bark color like dogwoods and willows
    early flowering hardy plants like hammamellis x intermedia lovely delicate yellow flower very early with a delicate scent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lavender, near the door and around the kitchen windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A trip to Ashford Gardens in Wicklow is allways worth the 5 euro entrance fee.:D

Amazing place and great planting and gardens too.

Advertisement