Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone

I'm going to be moving to Cork in the new year with my girlfriend. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where to live. I'll be working in UCC and my girlfriend will be commuting to Mallow.

The max we can pay is around €700 per month for a place. We would need parking too as she will be commuting.

Are there any letting agents that I should avoid etc? I don't want to sign a years lease with an agent that turns out to be a right cowboy.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 portiani

Hi,

There are loads of places in Cork really - it depends on what you want, an apartment or house etc. There's a complex in Dennehy's Cross called Yarlington which has some nice apartments... loads of issues previously with alarms when they were building Bramley but that's done now so it's fine again. They are €800 though for a 1 bed.

Douglas is a bottle neck for traffic and if you're commuting to UCC not great - Wilton/Bishopstown would be good as you could easily walk from there or Glasheen - lots of houses there worth looking at.

Really though the number 8 and number 5 buses bring you to UCC, so anywhere on those or within walking distance I'd say!

Good luck with the search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bjak

Cheaper to live in Mallow and commute to Cork instead? No 5 bus is a direct connection from Train station to UCC.

If you want to stay with the living in city option, Sunday's Well is within walking distance of UCC but on the north side of the city for the Mallow commute so less getting snagged in commuter traffic. Close to city centre so lower taxi fares too.

Wilton/Bishopstown traffic is heavy in school season and Douglas would be even more hassle although much better socially at night/weekend.

Best of luck

BJAK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

bjak wrote: »
    Cheaper to live in Mallow and commute to Cork instead? No 5 bus is a direct connection from Train station to UCC.

If you want to stay with the living in city option, Sunday's Well is within walking distance of UCC but on the north side of the city for the Mallow commute so less getting snagged in commuter traffic. Close to city centre so lower taxi fares too.

Wilton/Bishopstown traffic is heavy in school season and Douglas would be even more hassle although much better socially at night/weekend.

Best of luck

BJAK
    I would agree with tthis , it may be worth checking into Mallow , the rent in mallow would be a good bit cheaper, so if you rented near the train stop in mallow , it could be worth checking into how much train and bus would cost you plus savings on petrol if you lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why not rent Northside?

Ballyvolane/Dillons Cross would be ideal for you. Not far from town. In fact walking distance. No.207 (and a walk) or a No.208 straight to UCC. Your girlfriend would have an easier commute as she wouldn't have to negotiate city traffic. Straight run to Mallow via the N20 which would get her there in 45 mins or less.

Oh and BTW. Try to get a private rent if you can. Avoid Choices and Global like the plague!!

Good luck! :)

Advertisement