Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Radiators in the Kitchen

• 29-08-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I just changed the wall colour in the kitchen and am now looking at a white rad in total contrast to the colour. Anybody know if I can paint the rad with the wall colour which is vinyl matt or do I need special radiator paint. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How about a rad cover, then paint that to match the wall.

You can get radiator paint but don't think you'll get an exact colour match of your walls.

You could pop some primer on the rad, then lash on the wall colour, it might work out grand. Probably worth a go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Sorry when you say primer - what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Yeah give the rad a good sand before,i've often painted rads with wall colour,it will last if it doesn't get many knocks otherwise you may have to re coat it now and then. If you can get hold of a small tin of multi surface primer or super grip primer put that on first. Make sure the rad isn't on when painting it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

wait4me wrote: »
    I just changed the wall colour in the kitchen and am now looking at a white rad in total contrast to the colour. Anybody know if I can paint the rad with the wall colour which is vinyl matt or do I need special radiator paint. Thanks

What kind of radiator are we talking about: conductive, baseboard, water, steam...?

If the radiator gets too hot too touch, than you will probably need a high temp paint. They make plenty of radiator paints.

If it is the baseboard type radiator, you may get away with painting the cover as they do not get too hot.

If they are particularly old, I would consider taking them out to be powder coated.

Advertisement