Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby signing

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done baby signing with their children? I have learned the basics to use with my baby. How Often do you need to do it? What age do you start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, we did it. It is handy before they can talk when they can just sign what they want, and even now that she has started talking, when she gets tired and can't think of the word she signs it. I *think* it has prevented a couple of meltdowns. Otherwise it's just a bit of fun.

We started doing it about 5 months, but I think that was maybe a bit too early. Around 6 or seven months when they start doing their own signs (waving, clapping, pointing etc) is a bit more natural I think. You are really just tagging another small few onto that afterall.

There are loads of resources online for it. Youtube videos, blogs, all sorts.

Oh, and you do it all the time. As in, everytime you say the word, you sign it, until they know it. Then start the next one, still reinforcing the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My neices and nephews did it, from about 7 months. Hand to mouth for hungary, hand to ear, i think for sleepy.

After the first baby, I just got used to asking the others using it. It did work.

I never got round to it with mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

they say once they start waving and doing bye bye to start. I've been signing milk to her for a while hasnt replied yet but she ill give a high 5! Her sleep cue is the same as the sign for sleepy so no sign to teach there.

most people just teach milk, mama, dada, sleep, hungry and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We've done a bit, but I haven't been consistent enough for him to have picked up many signs yet. He does milk, dada and dog. He's nearly 1 now.
    I bought the superhands book I think it's called, it's the Irish one that was on the Irish Dragons Den. Started at around 4 months, but with the inconsistent way I did it he didn't sign anything til around 6 months. Must start it again, it's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Would anyone recommend a signing class that they found good ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement