Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in the US

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Heading to the States in the next two months. We have been there before and have hired out a car and that went fine....that was in the mid nineties. We have travelled there since but as it was to the big cities, no car needed!! Bliss!

My problem and it IS my problem, is my OH. He is fine driving here in this country, never any problem but last year we traveled to the UK and he found the motorways a little daunting, but of course, wouldn't admit it. He is very used to the two lane ones here. However, because he is a person that likes to sight see, I feel he does not concentrate on the driving as much as we had two near incidents last year....while small, we had a young child in the car and my heart was in my mouth!!!!

While we have to hire out a car in the US how do I delicately put it to him, that I have no problem driving if he wishes to "sight see" without undermining him? He does have a slight shake in his hands, which is getting worse as he gets older. In any case, this trip is on and my nerves are shattered at the thought of driving there.....

Any tips as to what type of car we should get? Like, one he could be familiar with? I know it will be automatic....that was a challenge before but we managed. Sorry I am going on a bit.....

We are travelling out there to family and my darling offspring is organising the hire for us.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Most larger hire car companies will have sticks to rent out if that is easier because you are used to it more.
    Maybe suggest you share the driving so you can both sight see, and then arrange it so you drive the more complicated bits? Where are you going? Some places have better drivers, and easier roads in the USA than others.. I would myself never drive on LA freeways.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

The link below might be usefull. Its mostly about Orlando but has a UK guide to driving in US so worth a look.

http://www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/driving.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

silja wrote: »
    Most larger hire car companies will have sticks to rent out if that is easier because you are used to it more.
    Maybe suggest you share the driving so you can both sight see, and then arrange it so you drive the more complicated bits? Where are you going? Some places have better drivers, and easier roads in the USA than others.. I would myself never drive on LA freeways.

Phoenix Az......

Yes, I agree but I will have to delicately put it. Already made reference to it tonight and it did not go down well!!!! He is now in a sulk....but that will pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Something to bear in mind is that driving in the United States is generally a doddle.

They drive slowly and unconsciously and thus are pretty forgiving to other people driving slowly and unconsciously. Only a short time ago they had 55mph limits on ALL freeways even the big six and ten lane freeways, and the limits have been raised to 70 but they still drive Slowly.

They have no culture of driving fast and frantically and they dont appreciate people who do.

My 80 year old mum came and stayed with us for a few months and had no problems at all.

So just something to consider. I cant really think of any other country in the world that can be so forgiving and easy as the US (for driving). Nothing like the UK in the slightest way. In fact the almost complete opposite. Think Bombay in SUper Slow Motion.

And enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Agree with what InTheTrees says.... wouldn't opt for a stick though, shifting gear with your right hand can be a pain when not used to it

• Advertisement

Agree with what InTheTrees says.... wouldn't opt for a stick though, shifting gear with your right hand can be a pain when not used to it

If you can drive a manual, its only a slight adjustment to use an automatic and its sooooo much easier.

Especially as you'll be on the other side of the road. So take the plunge and get an automatic.

Again I go back to the sloth of driving in the states. Its why they all use automatics, you kick back, go very very slowly and you have a hand free to eat with. They think nothing of covering hundreds of miles at the drop of a hat too, which also explains the easy pace.

You know those american police shows on tv? When they have a chase on a freeway and it looks kind of fake because the cars are all spread out and the bad guys can weave in and out? Thats really what its like; slow and spread out, and no lane discipline like at home. You get into any lane you want and stay there until its time to exit.

About the worst traffic (ie, fast and frantic) the americans can come up with is maybe Boston or LA, but if you've ever driven in Dublin you'll have no problems at all.

I hope I'm helping...I could go on and on...

:o

Thank you all for your helpful posts.

They have put my mind at ease. We have been used to driving in Dublin for years and around the country. Personally, I find Cork city the worst place to drive, but that's just me!!! the tailgating drives me bonkers!!!

I agree driving in the motorways in the UK was worse than I thought when we were there last Summer.

It is a long time since we drove in the US and I DO remember that they did drive slowly.....but that was over 12 years ago and it was good to be reminded of it!:(

I realise now that we will have to hire a car.....I will just have to be patient and "offer" to drive without sounding paranoid about it and just get used to the many lanes on the motorways or highways.

suitseir wrote: »
    I realise now that we will have to hire a car.....I will just have to be patient and "offer" to drive without sounding paranoid about it and just get used to the many lanes on the motorways or highways.

:)

Yes, you'll have an hour or two of adjustment and then be fine.

Have a good map. A GPS is really useful too and you can rent them with the car.

You said Phoenix? Here's a view of the freeway by the airport. Its so wide and slow it'll be like driving on a football pitch:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=33.446321,-112.037523&spn=0.014091,0.023904&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=33.446324,-112.037533&panoid=ZHtInAqRRZLe1PBdACGuag&cbp=12,170.24,,0,10.21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

1st issue thread is more suitable for personal issues :)

2nd i would love if my GF would suggest driving on such a trip. he should consider himself lucky

tipp1986 wrote: »
    1st issue thread is more suitable for personal issues :)

2nd i would love if my GF would suggest driving on such a trip. he should consider himself lucky

You MAY be right regarding the personal issue thing but I disagree... I can deal with that myself...what I really needed, and got, were good replies regarding the driving which was the MAIN issue and I am guessing I would not have got that in the Personal Issues section.:o

• Advertisement

How are the plans going?

Have you reserved a medium sized automatic? And gps? I hope you're feeling more relaxed about your trip. You'll have a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Driving over here is incredibly simple. Some weird rules: you can turn right on a red light (treated as a stop sign) basically. And four=way stops take a little getting used to.

Also Americans, particularly the police (obv.) don't like when you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, even if it's obvious there's nothing coming.

Otherwise it's a cinch. TBH it's the pedestrians and cyclists I worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

davyjose wrote: »
    Driving over here is incredibly simple. Some weird rules: you can turn right on a red light (treated as a stop sign) basically. And four=way stops take a little getting used to.

Also Americans, particularly the police (obv.) don't like when you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, even if it's obvious there's nothing coming.

Otherwise it's a cinch. TBH it's the pedestrians and cyclists I worry about.

Does the 'turn right on red' rule vary from state to state?

And maybe you'd clear up something for me - is it true that it's a hanging offence to overtake a school bus, even when it's stopped to pick up/set down students?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I drive in the southwest a bit and disagree with the slow driving comments.
    California, Nevada, and Arizona are known for their stupid drivers. The speed limit is usually ignored and you'll find people going 60 in a 45 zone, 100+ on the freeways.
    Indicators are an optional extra on most cars it seems and people will change lanes with even the slightest gap.

Rent an automatic as it's cheaper and really easy to drive. You'll manage after the first 15mins. Don't stress about it but have it in your head drivers are crazy here. There's a reason insurance is so high here.
    Just tell your partner you're driving and explain why. Then relax and take advantage of the great roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Buy or borrow a sat nav -it saved our relationship driving out of O'Hare trying to get onto the interstate in Chicago.

Read the link in post #3 above.

If you are turning right at a cross road with traffic lights and you have green to turn right - the pedestrians crossing to your right may also have green. This happened to me twice in Chicago.
    coylemj wrote: »

And maybe you'd clear up something for me - is it true that it's a hanging offence to overtake a school bus, even when it's stopped to pick up/set down students?

Turn right applies in Illinois, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Utah and Montana. Saw a few signs 'turn right on red except when children present'

I never saw a parked school bus to pass it but some of them have a red stop sign on hinges that swings out when they are parked. I wouldnt chance passing out any parked school bus.

Then theres the excellent 4 Way Stop junction which I tried to find a link to quickly but counldnt get something that was short and official.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

Here in Washington (state), if a school bus pulls in with it's flashers on and the stop signal pops out, then you can't pass it.
    Even on the other side of the road, unless you are on a dual carriage way.
    Also, if an emergency vehicle is approaching with lights on, you need to pull in and stop - even if it's coming from the other direction.

The 4-way stops do take a bit of getting used to, but in general it's whoever get's to the stop sign first, goes next. (If that makes sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Buy or borrow a sat nav -it saved our relationship driving out of O'Hare trying to get onto the interstate in Chicago.

Definitely do this - the hire companies charge a fortune to hire them!

Jonny_D wrote: »
    Here in Washington (state), if a school bus pulls in with it's flashers on and the stop signal pops out, then you can't pass it.
    Even on the other side of the road, unless you are on a dual carriage way

It's the same in Florida with the school bus, also if there is a policeman out of his car for any reason i.e. has someone else pulled over, you have to move one full lane over, if you cant due to traffic, then you have to slow down to a complete crawl, 5 or 10mph, it's a newish law I think, in Florida anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

O.K. posting from Phoenix Az which is where the OP is heading.

Speed limits here are 55 on most roads, 65 on the freeways around the city and 75 on the interstates but everyone seems to go 10 mph above on the freeways and the interstate. Sightseeing is fine on the roads limited to 45 or 55 but do not sightsee on the freeways or the interstates especially the I17 north to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon if it is anyways busy which it usually is. Manic high speed driving on a twisty (mountains) dual carrigeway. The I10, I17, 101 and 202 are not for the faint hearted before 9 am.

Around town it's pretty easy to drive and apart from rush hour most drivers are courteous and take their time.

Get an automatic not a manual (stick shift) and get a larger car than you would at home for your own peace of mind on the road. Happy motoring and give me a shout if you want more info on Phoenix.

P.S. take a drive up to Sedona when you are here for one of the best driving experiences you will get and some wonderful scenery to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

suitseir wrote: »
    Phoenix Az......

Yes, I agree but I will have to delicately put it. Already made reference to it tonight and it did not go down well!!!! He is now in a sulk....but that will pass!

I drove in Phoenix, AZ several times. Freeways there are alot better and less un-congested like the ones in L.A.

I find it easier driving in the states than I do driving in Dublin here, and I have drove in L.A, Vegas, San Diego and Phoenix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I'd be more inclined to agree with those who say people drive fast over here. I've found that people drive very fast on the highways, don't use indicators, don't heed lanes (undertaking, never moving out of the overtaking lane, failing to yield at on ramps etc.), don't stop at stop signs and rarely turn on their lights (even in dense rain and snow). Also nobody ever checks their blind spots and most of the cars over here have fairly big blinds spots so be aware of other cars around you and make sure you don't sit in their blind spot. Lorries do not have separate lower speed limits over here either, they are scary, I've been passed by huge trucks while doing over 70 in a 65. In summary I've never seen worse drivers than here.

That said the roads are generally fairly good and there's lots of space, many are divided highways so the opposing traffic is very far away. Driving an automatic is a doddle, staying awake while your 'driving' it is fairly challenging though. In general turning on red is the least of your worries, that's one of the few rules that makes perfect sense and we should adopt at home (although it would be turning left on red at home of course), it is not in every state and in some states it is enforced by traffic cameras (you must come to a complete stop before turning).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

davyjose wrote: »

Eh, no? It's a stop sign, so stop. A rolling stop (probably what you are talking about) is illegal so don't do it. If a cop does it, that's their business.

Sometimes at a red light there is a sign that says "No right on red" but those are obvious enough (next to the light) and always in busy intersections.

Never ever overtake a school bus when they've stopped to let out children. It's a hefty fine otherwise. And you never know which side of the road the kids cross to.

Good advice I got was when you come to a stop sign, stop and count to three and then move off if safe to do so.

For some reason, could be wrong but I thought undertaking is legal over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yep, "right on red" depends on local laws.

You can overtake a school bus when it is driving (though they usually go pretty fast!), but when it is stopped and has the little stop sign out, you are NOT allowed to overtake it and must stop- precisely because kids get on and off the bus and may run across the street. Yes, they take this very seriously, as they do speeding in a school zone (it's usually 25 mph during school start and end).

Another thing I don't think has been mentioned- should you get stopped by police, pull over as soon as is safe. Stay in your car, both hands on the wheel, and wait for the officer to0 approach your window, then wind it down (this may take a while as the officer runs your plate). Do NOT get out of the car; do NOT bend down to get your license, insurance or whatever; no, not even to get your kid in the back seat a bottle of juice. Police work in the USA is dangerous and making any movements to reach your bag, glove box or similar can be missinterpreted.

mikewest wrote: »
    O.K. posting from Phoenix Az which is where the OP is heading.

Speed limits here are 55 on most roads, 65 on the freeways around the city and 75 on the interstates but everyone seems to go 10 mph above on the freeways and the interstate. Sightseeing is fine on the roads limited to 45 or 55 but do not sightsee on the freeways or the interstates especially the I17 north to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon if it is anyways busy which it usually is. Manic high speed driving on a twisty (mountains) dual carrigeway. The I10, I17, 101 and 202 are not for the faint hearted before 9 am.

Around town it's pretty easy to drive and apart from rush hour most drivers are courteous and take their time.

Get an automatic not a manual (stick shift) and get a larger car than you would at home for your own peace of mind on the road. Happy motoring and give me a shout if you want more info on Phoenix.

P.S. take a drive up to Sedona when you are here for one of the best driving experiences you will get and some wonderful scenery to boot.

In Phoenix for the last 2 weeks with another two to go. We went to Sedona and Flagstaff during the recent snowfalls and it was gorgeous. My son drove. On return he got us insured on his car and we have taken a few local trps from our base in Chandler. I agree with one poster who said the drivers here do not obey the speed limits including my son! But walking is not an option even to go to the shops. Getting used to it. Thanks for all the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Part of the confusion with these types of questions ("What is ___ like in the USA?") is that it's a huge country and you can't answer most of those questions generally. Most Americans have no idea what driving is like in Phoenix. It's not far off from an American asking "How are the freeways in Europe? I'm traveling to Spain."

Where I live, driving is a breeze. But an hour away in Philadelphia, you'd wish you were driving in Dublin for the peace and quiet.

RGM wrote: »
    Part of the confusion with these types of questions ("What is ___ like in the USA?") is that it's a huge country and you can't answer most of those questions generally.

I dunno. I was having this conversation yesterday out in the car (here in Seattle).

I've driven all over the USA in my 20 years here and have never experienced any major differences. You can compare New England drivers with Oregon and there's really not much difference. Florida and California, Minnesota and Arizona, they're all basically the same. Lazy, inattentive, undisciplined and under-educated.

There's a reason that the USA has never produced any world class Racing drivers. (yeah maybe there were 1 or 2 in the 60's).

It makes it really easy for tourists though! Its a great place to learn driving on the other side of the road.

:mad:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There's a reason that the USA has never produced any world class Racing drivers. (yeah maybe there were 1 or 2 in the 60's).

I'm afraid I can't take you seriously. Not to mention the ridiculousness of saying drivers in a country of more than 300 million people are all basically the same.

You have people here talking about how different Dublin is from where they live, yet the whole of Ireland is smaller than about 40 American states. The idea that there is no difference across an area of thousands of miles doesn't make sense.

InTheTrees wrote: »

It makes it really easy for tourists though! Its a great place to learn driving on the other side of the road.

Yeah, always thought that the Americans when they get off the plane here & into their rental car must be thinking :eek::confused::eek:
    Much easier for us going there, the road width, signage & road markings are excellent expecially at large junctions in my experience

The switch from manual to auto is also much easier for us than their switch from auto to manual

• Advertisement

Yeah, always thought that the Americans when they get off the plane here & into their rental car must be thinking :eek::confused::eek:
    Much easier for us going there, the road width, signage & road markings are excellent expecially at large junctions in my experience

The switch from manual to auto is also much easier for us than their switch from auto to manual

Speaking only for myself, it really wasn't bad at all, though I'm probably not a good indicator as I drive for a living in the states. I also drive manual. My first minutes behind the wheel in Ireland, I had to drive straight through Dublin city centre. Everything was cake after that.

Everywhere I went, people seemed shocked I arrived without help of a GPS. I guess when non-Americans think of Americans and maps...

Miss-South-Carolina-Makes-YouTube-Laugh-2.png

Advertisement