Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Help Please!

• 29-08-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey everyone!

I started 6th year today and I really want to take up Economics. Could anyone suggest which is the best textbook to get? Is it possible to teach it to myself and achieve an A1 or A2?

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

This is my first thread so I hope I did everything right :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

We use Economics by Denis O'grady, its very outdated but I'm pretty sure its the only one? The Rapid Revision for Economics is also very good.

One of my mates thought himself Economics and got an A1 last year so its definitely possible, the course is quite short and there is a lot of choice in the exam so in answer to your question, yes, its definitely possible if you're prepared to put in the work.

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Thank you so much I really appreciate that! :)

Happy to help :)

Also, another important aspect is keeping up to date with real world economics, stuff like NAMA and the property tax won't be in the book but could definitely come up in the exam so read as much in the newspapers and you can.

That's great, I never would of thought of that! Thank you again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

might pick up that Rapid Revision, our teacher is a bit dodgy with his notes and the book seems to have a good few errors in it.

Started 6th year today too by the way

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll certainly pick up the Revision book! How are you getting on in sixth year? I started today too and i'm already exhausted :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

There is a new Economics book on the market now called Positive Economics: http://secure.edco.ie/teachers/positive-economics.3166.html

It is fantastic and really focuses in on the exam.

Thank you! I'll look into that one now :)

Yeah I thought I remembered my teacher saying something about a new book! I'd definitely get the new one then as this one was printed in 2002 so quite a bit outdated as you can imagine!

6th years going okay so far but I'm sure it will only get worse as time goes by(Casablanca reference boooyaahhh). How about you?

Oh yeah if there's an Economics teacher in your school I'd definitely talk to him about it aswell, I'm sure he/she can give you more helpful advice/notes than we can!

only had an induction day today, real business starts tomorrow :( although i had a lot of summer french work to catch up on today, so realistically I'm already back in the swing of things :P on top of it all i haven't a CLUE what course I want to do :P

• Advertisement

bleach94 wrote: »
    only had an induction day today, real business starts tomorrow :( although i had a lot of summer french work to catch up on today, so realistically I'm already back in the swing of things :P on top of it all i haven't a CLUE what course I want to do :P

Same here I've absolutely no idea, Im thinking Computer Games Development but thats just a thought. Good luck with your decision and remember it won't effect the rest of your life in any way ;)

You know after a day of the teachers/principal frightening the life out of us with these long 'you must do well or your life is over' speeches, that's the most uplifting thing i've heard all day, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

Hi, I'd also really strongly recommend studying from the marking schemes. The sooner you start the better so that you can get to know them inside out. There are a few questions that get repeated extremely frequently but yet aren't in the book. I just did the Leaving and I'd say the marking schemes were the things that helped me most.

Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone! :)

Haha great Casablanca reference ;) Yeah it's going grand, I'm slowly getting back in the swing of things, but I got 2 sheets of German vocabulary today to have learned by tomorrow... :o

Advertisement