Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barrack Obama just broke reddit doing an AMA

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

andrew wrote: »
    Well, it's racist to raise those questions when there actually isn't anything unclear about his background. It's not like any white president has been asked to prove his nationality.

Im sorry that you, like a lot of people have bought into and been hypnotised by the Obama personality cult. Sounds like you'd defend him to the death judging by your name calling theres not much point in me arguing with you. Your mind is made up. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I was just on it watching a gif of a one armed black midget having sex with an Elmo doll
    Is that normal on reddit ? I preffer 4chan :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

WumBuster wrote: »
    Im sorry that you, like a lot of people have bought into and been hypnotised by the Obama personality cult. Sounds like you'd defend him to the death judging by your name calling theres not much point in me arguing with you. Your mind is made up. Good luck

Maybe you'll find people to agree with you here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

self-pandering userbase.

read this as "self-abusing pandabase", what is wrong with me? Or pandas? Is that why they rarely mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Doylers wrote: »
    I like spongebob :)
    Coz you're not allowed anything sharp. :)

51 M D.C.

President of USA

Come at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jake1 wrote: »
    If Bush had have done that during a hurricane there would have been blue bleedin murder.

:rolleyes:

Saying something that could be perceived as sticking up Bush? That's a paddlin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I haven't a clue how to use Reddit.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's an AMA?

ask my arse ??

attack my arsehole ??

meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

J. Marston wrote: »
    I haven't a clue how to use Reddit.

There, I said it.

reddit is like boards.
    instead of forums, they have subreddits. The links to the reddits are in subdirectories named like this:

www.reddit.com/r/ireland
    www.reddit.com/r/dublin

there's a subreddit for almost every subject under the sun, but if you think of one that doesn't exist, you can just start one yourself, it doesn't have to be approved. You can have as many accounts as you want.

Instead of thanks, you get Karma. If you make a good comment, you get lots of upvotes. Upvotes means that the best comments are at the top of the thread, and bad comments (which get downvotes) are at the bottom of the thread (or hidden altogether).

You can also reply to specific replies, which means that it's easy to have an off-topic conversation if an interesting diversion comes up, without ruining the flow of the thread. For example, This thread is about Obama doing an AMA, and I'm replying to the OP. However, on reddit, I'd be replying to your post which is more about how reddit works. If people wanted to skip my reply, they could.

If you submit a good link, you get link karma.

Moderators very rarely remove or close threads, because the reddits are, in effect, self-moderating. If someone starts a stupid or duplicate thread, it gets downvoted and disappears quite quickly. And I don't think I've ever seen an argument being stopped by mods, simply because arguments are all under a single post, and it's easy to have a long argument without derailing a thread at all. Plus, if the argument is stupid, it gets downvoted.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's really great. Plus Will and Monkeyfudge post there too, and it's great to hear from those guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Reddit is a god awful website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TIL that AH dislikes Reddit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

WumBuster wrote: »
    Found this interesting article that examines the theory that Obama is basically a chronic narcissist, like a cult leader, who has come from nowhere and fooled everyone by creating this messianic like persona around him. I do agree with lots of it. When i first saw this guy i was like wtf, he's too smooth, too good to be true, people screaming, and crying deliriously at his speeches etc hasnt been seen in the western world since probably Hitler.

Whats odd is that there are so many question marks about his background, his place of birth etc. The fact that his own brother is living in a shack in a third world country on one dollar a day shows that Obama only cares about those who contribute to his ego, like any such narcissist. The fact that there was a less than 50/50 chance that osama Bin laden was in the house when they shot him, didnt deter him risking Soldier's lives as he saw the potential headlines and personal credit coming his way, like a narcissist would have done.The list goes on. read the article if your interested, that shows Obama to be a conman really. http://www.faithfreedom.org/obama.html

BTW I dont find his wife a particularly nice person. She seems to be constantly trying to hog his limelight and even reprimands him in public which makes you wonder who is really wearing the trousers. there is something Bonny and Clyde about the whole thing, Ive included a second article about a book that was written about how Michelle Obama is acting inside the white house. Causing rows, being demanding with staff and getting them fired, spending extravagance on clothes etc and fighting with her husband. Also the racially aggravating statements that she makes I feel is inappropriate. She and her husband are supposed to be representing all the people of America. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/michelle-obama/8999823/Michelle-Obama-clashed-repeatedly-with-top-White-House-aides-and-rebuked-the-president-new-book-reveals.html
    Pretty much every point you make towards making Obama a chronic narcissist could be applied to him simply being a politician, or even president.

As for his wife? Well, she was a headstrong, successful career woman and formerly his boss who stepped down to allow him to progress in politics. I don't think anyone could expect her to "shut up and be a good little wife" considering her background and all things said and done, she is doing a half decent job of being the president's wife so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

tbh wrote: »
    reddit is like boards.
    instead of forums, they have subreddits. The links to the reddits are in subdirectories named like this:

www.reddit.com/r/ireland
    www.reddit.com/r/dublin

there's a subreddit for almost every subject under the sun, but if you think of one that doesn't exist, you can just start one yourself, it doesn't have to be approved. You can have as many accounts as you want.

Instead of thanks, you get Karma. If you make a good comment, you get lots of upvotes. Upvotes means that the best comments are at the top of the thread, and bad comments (which get downvotes) are at the bottom of the thread (or hidden altogether).

You can also reply to specific replies, which means that it's easy to have an off-topic conversation if an interesting diversion comes up, without ruining the flow of the thread. For example, This thread is about Obama doing an AMA, and I'm replying to the OP. However, on reddit, I'd be replying to your post which is more about how reddit works. If people wanted to skip my reply, they could.

If you submit a good link, you get link karma.

Moderators very rarely remove or close threads, because the reddits are, in effect, self-moderating. If someone starts a stupid or duplicate thread, it gets downvoted and disappears quite quickly. And I don't think I've ever seen an argument being stopped by mods, simply because arguments are all under a single post, and it's easy to have a long argument without derailing a thread at all. Plus, if the argument is stupid, it gets downvoted.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's really great. Plus Will and Monkeyfudge post there too, and it's great to hear from those guys.

I've pretty much abandoned boards for reddit. Much better conversations and topics and a wide variety of users from different cultural backgrounds, it makes the site a lot more dynamic and interesting imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I've pretty much abandoned boards for reddit. Much better conversations and topics and a wide variety of users from different cultural backgrounds, it makes the site a lot more dynamic and interesting imo.
    But you came back here to tell us. Alright then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

phasers wrote: »
    But you came back here to tell us. Alright then.

That's what happens when you have newly stated browsing restrictions in work, you gotta get your fix somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Pyr0 wrote: »
    That's what happens when you have newly stated browsing restrictions in work, you gotta get your fix somewhere!

ha ha same here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

No point comparing Boards to Reddit. Just use both. Simple really.

Also, get the enhancement suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Tell me about the Aliens and is Elvis really dead.

That would put him on the spot.

Advertisement