Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to put a safe

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as title says where do ye think the best place to put a safe is? I have mine in a pretty secure spot, cool,dry and out of the way but my mate has just put his in his utility room. It's secure but would the appliances ie washing machine, dryer etc have an effect on his firearms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Anywhere it is bolted to a solid wall is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

If the dryer is vented out it wouldn't be as bad but I personally wouldn't put mine anywhere near the utility. Mines ?????? ?????? fixed to the wall and the bolts are in another safe somewhere else!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads, just a reminder. You are on an open forum, so be careful about unveiling specifics.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Ezridax wrote: »
    Lads, just a reminder. You are on an open forum, so be careful about unveiling specifics.

Mines in my snake pit surrounding by anti personnel mines surrounding again by a moate with tiger sharks in it, so let them try! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Any bed room,

so if some one did break in to steal your gun they will have to go to the bed rooms,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Saw a video up on youtube from an Irish guy...which showed his face and exactly where his safe was located and what he had in it..fair enough his attitude was probably 'whatever.. let them try and get in' but ya can't be in the house 24/7 guarding it. Less people who know you shoot the better really..I've relatives who I'm pretty close to that don't know I shoot..not that they're likely to rob me but ya never know who they'd make a comment to about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

IN A SAFE!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭raymonjdevine

Cork24 wrote: »
    Any bed room,

so if some one did break in to steal your gun they will have to go to the bed rooms,

I know lads who had to move safes from the bedroom at the "request" of the Garda who was inspecting the security.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Points to look for when selecting a site for a safe:
    • A solid, hard wall. I know this is kinda obvious, but some walls are tougher than others. I'm lucky enough that my place appears to be almost entirely constructed of reinforced concrete so I got a lot of choices but you may have some walls that are more suitable than others.
    • If you can get it tight into a corner then you may be able to give any unwanted visitors fewer options for attacking it. Be careful not to do this if it leaves a gap, it might give them an opportunity for leverage.
    • It doesn't need to be particularly cool or warm but if you can avoid temperature swings or excessive heat or cool that's a bonus.
    • It should be as dry as possible. Silica gel packs and/or a dehumidifier inside the safe can help too.
    • If your house is overlooked or visible from the road try to put it somewhere where you won't be seen taking it in and out.
    • If you can disguise it without making it difficult, try to do that.
    • Have one or more additional safes for bolts and ammo if you have the space. These can be smaller so they should be easier to hide.

General security things:
    • Be good about key management. Know how many extra keys you have and who has them. If there was a previous owner or tenant or if you've given a key to someone you don't trust (tradesman, cleaner, ex-girlfriend (:D)) get the locks changed so you can be sure of who does and doesn't have keys. Ditto for alarm codes.
    • Make sure your doors and windows aren't easily broken/worked around.
    • Talk to your local Crime Prevention Officer. He/She might be sent around by the Super as part of the licensing process anyway. If so, make good use of the visit! A CPO should have a good idea of local break-ins and what you can do to avoid them.
    • Try not to make it too obvious you have guns. You don't need to be super paranoid about it, just don't paint a target on yourself.

Oh, and NEVER LEAVE THE SAFE KEYS IN THE HOUSE! NOT EVEN THE SPARE!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. by a moate with tiger sharks in it, so let them try! :P
    Did you not pay for the lasers on their heads.It's a little more but so worth it.:D
    Blay wrote: »
    .I've relatives who I'm pretty close to that don't know I shoot..not that they're likely to rob me but ya never know who they'd make a comment to about it.
    in God we trust, everyone else we check out.;)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive mine in a room bolted to the wall. Its in a front room too so through the window you will be seen by the neighbours surrounding the house at every number from 9-3 on the clock.. and I lock my door when not there so the bedroom door is another barrier. I keep they spare keys in another house miles away unlabelled of course and they dont know its there :D

The other keys are kept in the house a hide in separate places. If i brought them with me I'd only end up losing them.

Living in a village is another handy security measure. Never been a house robbery here in the 25 houses in as many years since they were built...touch wood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Did you not pay for the lasers on their heads.It's a little more but so worth it

No recession with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've mine in a bedroom bolted with rawl bolts on the side and back on both sides to solid walls. I drilled extra holes in the side to add additional bolts.

I also ran a good thick, deep bed of TEC 7 silicone alone the sides and across the top to seal the tiny gap between the wall and safe - to stop anybody trying to insert a pry bar between the safe and the wall to lever it out.

To counteract anybody trying to use an angle grinder on the metal at the top and side of the safe, to gain access without a key, I siliconed sheets of cut-to-size plywood to the outside top and side..........hopefully it will slow down or stop any potential thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all, as title says where do ye think the best place to put a safe is? I have mine in a pretty secure spot, cool,dry and out of the way but my mate has just put his in his utility room. It's secure but would the appliances ie washing machine, dryer etc have an effect on his firearms?

I'll give you a good tip. Place your safe in a corner, if the door swings open to your right for example you should keep the safe tight to the left corner of the room. Reason for it will make it nearly impossible to prise/leaver the door oven with a crowbar as they won't be able to get leverage as the wall be in the way. Make sure its not a cavity wall your bolting it to

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

4200fps wrote: »
    I'll give you a good tip. Place your safe in a corner, if the door swings open to your right for example you should keep the safe tight to the left corner of the room. Reason for it will make it nearly impossible to prise/leaver the door oven with a crowbar as they won't be able to get leverage as the wall be in the way. Make sure its not a cavity wall your bolting it to

Plus 1

Thats how both of mine are done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

another idea is to line the safe inside and out with a fire resistant lining such as the one in the link below, a 12mm thickness is supposed to be good for 1/2 hr, stop your pride and joy being toasted to a crisp.

http://www.gyproc.ie/index.php/products/plasterboards/gyproc-fireline/103

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Cavan duck buster

we have a decoy safe by are front door, we filled it with some small sand bags and old brush handels so if they were to get it it sound like the real thing, it is a 2gun safe and the proper safe is in ????? ?????? ware nobody will find it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I remember asking a FO in England where is the best place for the gun cabinet when I was a resident. He pointed me in the direction of the home office guidelines which are readily available to download but also said make sure its handy:

If safes are put in awkward out of reach places guns dont get put back and are left lying about... good advice, I thought.

Advertisement