Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media Bias and Misinformation

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I may have found a reason why so many of the top media outlets have a 'liberal bias', as some posters have pointed out.

And I think I found why Obama is leading in the polls. I take it they fine young demorats are also liberals by the sound of it?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Amerika wrote: »
    And I think I found why Obama is leading in the polls. I take it they fine young demorats are also liberals by the sound of it?

;)

I'll see your Stern clip and raise you Mississippi conservative Republicans. (There's about 7 teeth in this whole clip)

A vote for Romney is a vote for the 1%.

I'll see your Stern clip and raise you Mississippi conservative Republicans.

Sorry, but you need jacks or better to open. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'll see your Stern clip and raise you Mississippi conservative Republicans.

Sorry, but you need jacks or better to open. :)

Hypocrite. You think some idiot talking to Stern is ok but not one of republican idiots?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I'll see your idiot and raise you twenty idiots. Keep an eye out for the star turn of Councilman Phil Davison of Minerva, Ohio making a speech at Stark County Republican Party's executive committee meeting seeking the nomination for Stark County treasurer.

When debating media bias, a speech by Pat Caddell (Democratic pollster and Fox News contributor) titled The Audacity of Corruption, given on 21 September at the Accuracy in Media’s Conference, should be required reading. He lays out how over the course of the last 30 years the mainstream media’s actions are threatening our country's future by not doing their job. The points about current situations and the media’s failures is clearly dead on.

The most interesting point he makes, and proves media bias is when he discusses that for the first time in our history 60 percent of the people said the media can’t be trusted to report the news accurately, fairly, and fully. And the composition of the 40 percent of the people that do trust the media... Democrats represent 58 percent, Republicans 26 percent, and most importantly independents were only 31 percent. Proof positive IMO.

I highly doubt Caddell will be invited ever again to any media soirées which is sad because he knows how to cut through all the clutter and tell it like it is.

Caddell is one of my top five favorite political analysts and pundits. Although he is a staunch Democratic supporter, he always talks with data and reason. Always worth watching if you get a chance.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/29/mainstream-media-threatening-our-country-future/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I'll see your idiot and raise you twenty idiots. Keep an eye out for the star turn of Councilman Phil Davison of Minerva, Ohio making a speech at Stark County Republican Party's executive committee meeting seeking the nomination for Stark County treasurer.
    5:00 - 5:26

Bravo_clap.gif

Though what happens next in the video was also truly wonderful

When debating media bias, a speech by Pat Caddell (Democratic pollster and Fox News contributor) titled The Audacity of Corruption, given on 21 September at the Accuracy in Media’s Conference, should be required reading. He lays out how over the course of the last 30 years the mainstream media’s actions are threatening our country's future by not doing their job. The points about current situations and the media’s failures is clearly dead on.

The most interesting point he makes, and proves media bias is when he discusses that for the first time in our history 60 percent of the people said the media can’t be trusted to report the news accurately, fairly, and fully. And the composition of the 40 percent of the people that do trust the media... Democrats represent 58 percent, Republicans 26 percent, and most importantly independents were only 31 percent. Proof positive IMO.

I highly doubt Caddell will be invited ever again to any media soirées which is sad because he knows how to cut through all the clutter and tell it like it is.

Caddell is one of my top five favorite political analysts and pundits. Although he is a staunch Democratic supporter, he always talks with data and reason. Always worth watching if you get a chance.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/29/mainstream-media-threatening-our-country-future/
    Keep in mind, the media reports the truth some of the time, and therefore one most be careful that they don't ever dismiss the news outright, argumentum ad hominem is still a no go.

The idea of a free press is as always a very liberal/libertarian concept and therefore naturally lends itself to that spectrum. Conservatives meanwhile have regularly felt over history, for instance, that censorship should be tolerated in some circumstances and we've exercised such censorship. Two situations that come to mind are the BP oil spill, and active blocking of the media trying to report on the environmental impact, and of war casualties - for years, there was a blanket ban/consensus not to film caskets that returned from the middle east.

I haven't read your article, but what I've heard just as recently is the old idea that the media has a government function, unofficially, as a watchdog group. However, that's difficult to perform when so many employees of major news networks are active political entities in themselves. Most news pundits have strong biases, for instance, while others are still downright politically engaged, like Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee. Instead, you now have watchdog groups for these former watchdog groups, whom have discovered disturbing patterns in the 24 hours news cycle about pundits receiving their talking points via central memo.

Don't know what to tell you. There isn't a single media entity with a clean record out there. Radio? Nobody sits there and fact checks those people. And nobody particularly seems offended by their incredulous slants. What was controversial talk a few years ago is par for the course; people just come up with more offensive bile to spew because it promotes their ratings.

Overheal... read the piece I linked. I know it's a bit long, then tell me what you think.

Allahpundit over at Hot Air got it right as to why Rush Limbaugh and Fox News doesn't much matter in the counter argument about media bias…

A rejoinder to today’s
    David Carr piece wondering why righties worry about the near-entirety of "nonpartisan" media covering for Obama’s failures when we have Rush Limbaugh and Fox News on our side. Real simple: Because millions of voters, especially those in the middle who tend to decide elections, don’t have the time or interest in politics to seek out overtly partisan news sources. They take what’s fed to them by major news brands (network news, top papers), virtually all of which profess objectivity. For all the grumbling we do here about MSNBC, a two-minute segment on the NBC Nightly News that pays more attention to Romney’s "gaffes" than to security failures at the Benghazi consulate probably does more damage to Republican chances — not to mention American national security — than an hour of Chris Matthews ranting about whatever. And for all our complaints about how a particular story is unfairly harsh to Romney, by far the more damaging bias, I think, is when the coverage is unduly disinterested in serious errors made by Obama.

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/01/pat-caddell-lets-face-it-media-bias-has-reached-a-new-level-of-corruption/

• Advertisement

Overheal... read the piece I linked. I know it's a bit long, then tell me what you think.

Allahpundit over at Hot Air got it right as to why Rush Limbaugh and Fox News doesn't much matter in the counter argument about media bias…

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/10/01/pat-caddell-lets-face-it-media-bias-has-reached-a-new-level-of-corruption/
    And on a correct hunch I just pulled this ream of ratings data which otherwise suggests Fox News has double (or more) the viewership of any other news network. Take for instance on the Thursday night primetime, MSNBC only had half the viewership of FNC, and every other news network was staggeringly lower than that, with CNN being the runner up with less than half the viewers of MSNBC; almost 1/5th that of FNC. Fox News had more viewers than every other network combined. And that trend seems to be repeating itself pretty much any given day with this available data.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/category/cable-news/

Seems to contradict Allahpundit there.

Overheal wrote: »
    Seems to contradict Allahpundit there.

No it doesn’t. There were 146,311,000 registered voters in the United States according to the U.S. Census Bureau regarding the November 2008 Presidential Elections. If my math is correct (as I didn't see numbers on your link), from what I've found FoxNews gets what about 2.6 million views per week which amounts to say 375,000 per day, and most probably the same viewers each day. Thats small potatoes.

Irregardless, as Allahpundit points out in the big scheme of things FoxNews is inconsequential in the voting influence category: Because millions of voters, especially those in the middle who tend to decide elections, don’t have the time or interest in politics to seek out overtly partisan news sources. They take what’s fed to them by major news brands (network news, top papers), virtually all of which profess objectivity.

When Honey Boo Boo starts talking politics, and with the number of viewers for her show which is about 2.9 million per episode, then we really have something to worry about. :)

Wait, wait,

Did you just take the approach that (a) only "small potatoes" amounts of people watch the mainstream news; then (b) argue that the vast majority of registered voters, through laziness, get their political data from the mainstream news?

make-potato-light-200X200.jpg

Wait, wait,

Did you just take the approach that (a) only "small potatoes" amounts of people watch the mainstream news; then (b) argue that the vast majority of registered voters, through laziness, get their political data from the mainstream news?

a) No. Fox News is small potatoes compared to where the majority of the electorate, and primarily the ones who decide the election, get their political information.

b) Pretty much Yes. And very limited information gathering at that. Dancing With The Stars just kicked off it's new season you know. ;)

a) No. Fox News is small potatoes compared to where the majority of the electorate, and primarily the ones who decide the election, get their political information.
    As I categorically demonstrated, FOX is the sum total of over half the mainstream news by ratings.

As I categorically demonstrated, FOX is the sum total of over half the mainstream news by ratings.

And when you factor in the nightly new from ABC, NBC, and CBS and newspapers (where the majority of the people get there political news from), the sum total is...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

FOX may get the ratings, but they're not mainstream. Everyone who doesn't watch it is aware of their bias, so they don't set the media narrative, unlike CNN and NBC.

It feels like I have been making that point for a while now. At this stage I have simply given up on convincing Amerika to accept the simple truth.

It's funny, I am currently reading http://www.amazon.com/Middle-Class-Stupid-James-Carville/dp/0399160396. The chapter I'm reading at the moment is about the Republican "fog machine".

Basically this is how it works is that no matter what the situation the GOP deny the problem exists and produce "evidence" that the opposite actually exists. It made me laugh, mainly because of Amerikas refusal to admit that Fox news is the mainstream media, despite their dominant position in the market place. You'll notice the GOP are doing something similar with the polling numbers, they ignore the fact that Romney is behind and say they have polling numbers that show he's ahead. They never produce said numbers for scrutiny mind you.

they/them/theirs

It feels like I have been making that point for a while now. At this stage I have simply given up on convincing Amerika to accept the simple truth.

Did you read the link with Pat Caddell. What did you think of it? Pretty convincing, wouldn't you say?

Did you read the link with Pat Caddell. What did you think of it? Pretty convincing, wouldn't you say?

Read and rejected. It ignores simple facts. Fox news is the number 1 rated news network. It is the mainstream media.

I really don't see proof of bias in how Romney is being treated either. Hes saying and doing stupid things and being treated accordingly.

I don't know why I am re entering this debate with you, you will never accept the truth.

they/them/theirs

Read and rejected. It ignores simple facts.
    What simple facts?

• Advertisement

And when you factor in the nightly new from ABC, NBC, and CBS and newspapers (where the majority of the people get there political news from), the sum total is...?
    Newspapers are dominant? In what historic era? Not 2012.

ABC, NBC, and CBS are not 24/7 news. Unless the Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are somehow brainwashing the electorate into the Tank for Obama then I think you need to re-evaluate.

Oh, but just for fun: I did that math.

Taking the same link I gave you earlier I totaled up an entire week of viewers for FOX news, from Oct 2 back to September 27: 7.424 million viewers.

I did this for comparison: this link http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/category/evening-news-ratings says the ABC, NBC and CBS evening news programs combined rake in some 20 million viewers in a week. Powerful stuff, but they also condense the 24 hour cycle into 30-60 minutes. Brian Williams is the top guy with 7.430 million viewers.

Oh, ****. Brian Williams has 0.081% more viewers than FOX? For 30 minutes? Five nights a week? Clearly then, FOX is being persecuted.

Oh that reminds me:
    from what I've found FoxNews gets what about 2.6 million views per week which amounts to say 375,000 per day,
    Your information is false and outdated. Ta.

Finally,
    Irregardless, as Allahpundit points out in the big scheme of things FoxNews is inconsequential in the voting influence category: Because millions of voters, especially those in the middle who tend to decide elections, don’t have the time or interest in politics to seek out overtly partisan news sources. They take what’s fed to them by major news brands (network news, top papers), virtually all of which profess objectivity.

What the hell is the problem with that?! :confused:

Read and rejected. It ignores simple facts.
    What simple facts?

The 2nd half of the quoted paragraph. Behave.

they/them/theirs

From Mail Online regarding last night's presidential debate:
    Barack Obama's top strategist said that the campaign will take a 'hard look' at how to approach future debates in the light of last night's failure - and appealed to the media to challenge Mitt Romney on the issues which the President avoided in Denver.
    Now we all pretty much know our media will accept the directive from the Obama campaign with glee and willfully challenge the points Mitt Romney made in the debate. But in the spirit of journalistic integrity, will they also be challenging the same from Barack Obama? Don’t hold your breath!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2212961/U-S-presidential-debate-2012-Mitt-Romney-celebrates-Obama-aide-admits-defeat.html?openGraphAuthor=%2Fhome%2Fsearch.html%3Fs%3D%26authornamef%3DToby%2BHarnden%2BIn%2BDenver

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Keep in mind, the media reports the truth some of the time, and therefore one most be careful that they don't ever dismiss the news outright,

Would you rely on friends who only tell you the truth "some of the time"?

The Marine Corps defines integrity as:
    "Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty."

To tell the truth "some of the time" is not a mark of integrity. If you keep watching the mainstream news after it has been revealed that networks take money from despotic regimes to run flattering propaganda then you become a willing victim of propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Colbert did a brilliant bit on the media a few nights ago, really sums up Fox news and the likes for me.

Favorite line "if you put a statement in the form of a question, is that journalism ?"

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/420540/october-24-2012/nonstop-libya-gate-questions

Funniest man on TV !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Fox News plays with your mind a lot. :D Sometimes the sensationalism and over the top reactions, to just about everything would knock you off your chair. I remember hearing someone say; they get their news from Comedy Central, and their comedy from Fox News.

But I will say this, the women they have as reporting and hosting are f*ucking stunning babes. Megyn Kelly is in her 40s and look at how fit and hot she is. Their all gorgeous. Sex sells!! ;) I just watch it to have a nice look at the women nothing more. :D

cyberhog wrote: »
    Would you rely on friends who only tell you the truth "some of the time"?

The Marine Corps defines integrity as:
    "Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty."

To tell the truth "some of the time" is not a mark of integrity. If you keep watching the mainstream news after it has been revealed that networks take money from despotic regimes to run flattering propaganda then you become a willing victim of propaganda.
    You've missed my point entirely then. Surely you've heard the phrase "take this with a pinch of salt."

Advertisement