Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography in one year

• 29-08-2012 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

I got a place in a repeat leaving cert school and they suggested that I study Geography as a subject to study in a year as a large amount of students do well in it.

How realistic is it to do it in a year. I got 435 points in my last LC(and I believe 2 of the grades are incorrect) so its not like I will be killed with studying.

What grades have other people received in this subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I got a place in a repeat leaving cert school and they suggested that I study Geography as a subject to study in a year as a large amount of students do well in it.

How realistic is it to do it in a year. I got 435 points in my last LC(and I believe 2 of the grades are incorrect) so its not like I will be killed with studying.

What grades have other people received in this subject?

I got a B1 in after taking it up and i wouldnt say i killed myself studying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I didn't do a tap for Geography until about April this year. I crammed and crammed the last 2 months before the LC and got a B1 (up from a C2 in Mocks), would have got an "A" but misread a question. Buy Sue Honan's book which has sample answers, it's very useful.

Honestly, I reckon anyone could get a B3 in that exam by just cramming that Sue Honan book for 3 months before the exam (1 hours cramming daily) . If you want to get an "A" though you'd probably need to study the text book consistently from the start of the year, and they're also making it unpredictable so getting an "A" in it is fairly difficult.

But taking up Geography in a year and getting a good grade is really realistic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

A little conversely to the other responses, I got an A2 but worked my ass off for it because my teacher insisted on doing eeeeeeevery question. I didn't learn them though (how could anyone) and ended up leaving pretty much the entire option section blank so that cost me the A1, but with the amount of choice on the exam, your free study time since you're repeating and with the project, I'd say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

It's possible if you're a repeat because it'll be the only 'new' study to you, everything else will be revision so you can devote twice as much time to geography! :)
    When you were told a lot of people do well in it that's true to the extent that it's fairly easy to pass and with a fair amount of work, to get an honour BUT it's very difficult to get an A (it has one of the lowest A rates... especially the A1 rate).
    You would need to be prepared to study your ass off though as there are so many topics to cover and answers to learn. i wouldn't advise skimming down the course as while this could be done a few years ago, they are really testing everything and anything now.
    It is certainly the most fascinating subject IMO and it was the only class I looked forward to personally. You also do a project worth 20% which is handy to pick up marks, as are the short questions (given you know physical geography well and some regional geography, though the SQs on regional are mostly very easy). The SQs are worth 20% of the exam.
    If you were to pick up any subject in one year (and you were prepared to work HARD at it) I'd recommend geography! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

DI got an A in it this year and I would advise anyone to do it :) It is a good subject for a B and would not be difficult to obtain a B in one year :) Do a great project spend time on it. Be smart about studying learn your option well is 20% Then learn the essays but learn to adapt them Mostly study past papers and patterns! Good Luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I think a year is a short time to do the course entirely aswell as the project. Although, it depends what grade you'd be hoping for. I think a B is achievable in a year but an A would require much more time and effort.

Advertisement