Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a new broadband service???

• 29-08-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

guys, currently with vodafone, download 5.1 upload 0.21 need something better than this but live in newcastle co Dublin, cant get upc, is there any satellite offerings that could work in our area maybe?

mobile broadband in the house is hit and miss with all networks so has to be something else, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dan82 wrote: »
    guys, currently with vodafone, download 5.1 upload 0.21 need something better than this but live in newcastle co Dublin, cant get upc, is there any satellite offerings that could work in our area maybe?

mobile broadband in the house is hit and miss with all networks so has to be something else, thanks

satellite is NOT Broadband and never will be so don't go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Eircom 24 mb would be your next best cheapest. Shame you cant get UPC.

Maybe Sky too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't see eircom UP TO 24mb being much better if voda are getting 5mb through the line

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't see eircom UP TO 24mb being much better if voda are getting 5mb through the line

we are in Newcastle in Dublin , can only get up to 7 mb on the line, thats where the issue is guys, is there no other option? i need it for my work in futher

Dan82 wrote: »
    we are in Newcastle in Dublin , can only get up to 7 mb on the line, thats where the issue is guys, is there no other option? i need it for my work in futher

Not on your line as it stands, perhaps digiweb metro is available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

bealtine wrote: »
    satellite is NOT Broadband and never will be so don't go there

Just curious why you think this? I dont know anything about sastellite BB but I'm in a rural area and noticed Digiwebs 10Mb Satellite BB. The cap is very low though but 10Mb speeds would literally be 10x faster than anything else I could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Satellite BB is very expensive compared to other offerings, both in terms of initial outlay and monthly cost, and should be considered a port of last call for people in rural locations only. It is not suitable for gaming for instance due to the high latency (the signal needs to travel back and forth to the satellite after all) and the very low caps (which also make it unsuitable if you are considering using life streaming services such as Netflix.

brimur69 wrote: »
    Just curious why you think this? I dont know anything about sastellite BB but I'm in a rural area and noticed Digiwebs 10Mb Satellite BB. The cap is very low though but 10Mb speeds would literally be 10x faster than anything else I could get.

Speed is rather subjective when it comes to satellite, if it takes half a second for data to get to your terminal that's hardly what I'd call fast. So latency is a huge issue with satellite. It's fine to deliver tv or even at a pinch connectivity in the middle of the sahara.

You'll find your DSL is actually faster than the fastest sat offering.

Not to mention the pathetic rolling data caps, you wouldn't want to download a service pack over satellite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Digiweb Metro might be an option for you. That uses a microwave link from an antenna on your roof and is comparable to low end cable packages / high end DSL.

Satellite broadband is really something that you only use as a last resort in a really remote area when nothing else is available.
    It's slow and has very high ping-times making it useless for VoIP, gaming etc.

Advertisement