Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holidays without the kids

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

So Im taking my oh away as a birthday surprise, and leaving our 1year old behind. Its another 4 weeks until the trip and im already feeling super guilty, but i keep telling myself its a once in a lifetime trip. Its not a child friendly holiday and we"ll be away for a week. Part of me is excited about spending time with my husband alone but gosh, the guilt is eating away at the rest.

Do many of you guys travel without your kids or is it a serious no-no?

(Obviously Im not going to cancel it, but just curious as to what others do.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Don't feel guilty, most parents only dream of being able to have the babysitter who's prepared to take our little monsters off our hands for a week!

Go. Enjoy your time off!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

The first time I left my kids was my wedding night they were 8, 3 and 18 months. My parents looked after them for 3 days.

A year later my dad died I had to leave all 3 to go over to the UK. They were with my hubby, a few weeks later I took my eldest over to the UK and left the younger 2 with their dad. A few weeks after that I took her to Switzerland and left the other 2 with the dad.

On our first anniversary we left them with my sil while we went to London and with the baby sitter overnight for our second anniversary.

Last year I took my eldest and my mother to lanzarote while my hubby had a boys holiday in Ireland.

This year we decided to bring my mother on holiday with us, it worked out great we had the best of both worlds a trusted babysitter on hand 24/7. We are booked in again for next year moms coming too, we can go for a walk, out to dinner, go out for the evening, go for a drive and mom will mind the kids.

The freedom having an extra adult there
    Is priceless, we never have to leave the kids behind again. As I said best if both worlds...

Enjoy your holiday....

Yeah, but what man wants to go on holidays with his mother-in-law?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yeah, but what man wants to go on holidays with his mother-in-law?! :p

The man who wants to get out for a few drinks with his wife on hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

We left our little one (@4mths) at home when we went on honeymoon. Felt a bit guilty but told myself to ignore it. She had a fantastic time and was absolutly brilliant for them. I'd say, if you're happy enough to have booked this holiday you know your little one will be more than fine while you're away. Once the babysitter is happy too, then move on. And enjoy the holiday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,097 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If you have someone to mind them, go. Ya lucky devil.

pwurple wrote: »
    The man who wants to get out for a few drinks with his wife on hols!
    Nah, he leaves the kids at home with the mother in law! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My husband and I went to the US for nearly 2 weeks without our children when they were toddlers and when they were older in primary school we went to Australia for 12 days without them.

We also had a couple of weekend trips to the UK.

If you've got someone trustworthy that they like then you shouldn't feel guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Financially we havent been able to get away ourselves at all since our first boy arrived...

But when he was 2 we went away by ourselves to a wedding in Galway while some friends babysat.

We were like a pair of teenagers...., ran amok, we did the absolute dog on it, last to go to bed each night.

There was guilt of course...but when we got back we learned that he had a brilliant time with his adopted aunts and uncles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Once the babies are no longer breastfed I'm happy to leave them for a night or two. Went to London with my OH for three nights and had three nights in a hotel for our honeymoon, leaving the kids with the grandparents. I'm a bit funny about distance- as in I went further afield to Europe for three nights on my hen but left the kids with my OH and the grandparents. Contemplating going long haul for a week by myself but not sure if I'm comfortable with leaving them on the other side of the world...I'm not sure I'm ready to cut that cord quite yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

i went away twice and only for a night. my kids are 2 and 4. I should have done it more but lack of money prevented it. Don't be guilty at all. Look at it this way, you're getting your child used to being without you. That will stand to the child because when they're used to other people minding them. you'll have no problem if there was ever an emergency and you had to leave them. My little boy aged 2 is very stuck on me and its because I haven't left him enough.

Advertisement