Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenent no on lease - rights

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭

Hey, My girlfriend was renting a house, it is a 4 bedroomed house, she had three rooms rented out. she was there for 3 years, she always had the other rooms rented out but got sick of finding people and collecting the rent, so she's moving out. 2 of the 3 tenents moved out and there is one that has been there for 2 years, he has been given 6 weeks notice, but refuses to move out.

Even though he never got a lease, can he do this?

She has to be out by Friday, and the landlord has viewings arranged for Friday.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Several things come to mind, but without further details, I can only suggest.

Depending on how the house was originally leased out - as a single unit and whose names were on the lease.

It is possible that she was in breach of tenant's obligations by renting out rooms without the landlord's written consent.

The remaining "tenant" may not be a tenant but a lodger and your girlfriend's landlady.

Is this the end of a fixed term lease for your girlfriend? End of lease for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

SHe was the only name on the lease, She did have the permission of the landlord to rent out as many or as few rooms as she wanted.? The Landlord is fine with her moving, she have given enough notice in that regard. The landlord already has new tenents lined up for viewings.

In this case, provided she also lived in the house, the "tenant" and any others she rented a room to, were lodgers or licensees and not tenants. They were/are allowed to stay in the property as long as the landlady agrees. She can withdraw that permission any time she likes and the lodger must leave. If payment was paid monthly, it is usually considered a months notice is sufficient.

She is entitled to lock a lodger out, once he is outside.

I hope you find this information useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Thanks very much, that was what I thought alright, but I just wanted to be sure, much appreciated.

You're welcome. Hope you get it sorted in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Tell them there car was broken into have locks changed let them go out to see close door job done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Here is the prtb info on licencees.
    He could have requested to become a tenant at any point in the last two years, but as he didn't his rights end when the main tenant moves out.

http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Licensees.pdf

Advertisement