Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on another gaming build!

Options
  • 29-08-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

I see theres another thread about a different system on this forum so I'm going to try and pick peoples brains too. My budget isnt quite so high but its going to be €1108 on Hardwareversand, a site which will save me over €300 compared to a British builder. I'm going to let them build it due to time and skill reasons!

I wont be overclocking or anything fancy.

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black
    Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express <- is this enough?
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht
    OEM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit inkl. Vorinstallation
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-730W
    Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1, PCIe x1 (90-YAA060-1UAN00Z)
    RAM: 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance
    HDD1: Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box
    HDD2: WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s

I'm waaaay out of the loop, thats why I'm asking. Will be buying it assembled from www.hardwareversand.de, price = €1177.89. Only €25 to have it built so I'm letting them do it.

At the moment I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E400 3Ghz
    4Gb RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX+ 9800 512mb

How much faster will the new system be? Am I looking at 2x or 4x the framerate? Just some ideas to see if its even worth it. It can play just about anything at medium settings, but we all know thats not enough :)

Advice on a case would be good as well... I'd like one that is quiet, light and doesnt break the bank. Any recommendations from hardwareversand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I see theres another thread about a different system on this forum so I'm going to try and pick peoples brains too. My budget isnt quite so high but its going to be €1108 on Hardwareversand, a site which will save me over €300 compared to a British builder. I'm going to let them build it due to time and skill reasons!

I wont be overclocking or anything fancy.

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX
    Case: BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower USB 3.0 black
    Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express <- is this enough?
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht
    OEM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit inkl. Vorinstallation
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    Power Supply: be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-730W
    Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1, PCIe x1 (90-YAA060-1UAN00Z)
    RAM: 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance
    HDD1: Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box
    HDD2: WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s

I'm waaaay out of the loop, thats why I'm asking. Will be buying it assembled from www.hardwareversand.de, price = €1177.89. Only €25 to have it built so I'm letting them do it.

At the moment I have:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E400 3Ghz
    4Gb RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX+ 9800 512mb

How much faster will the new system be? Am I looking at 2x or 4x the framerate? Just some ideas to see if its even worth it. It can play just about anything at medium settings, but we all know thats not enough :)

Advice on a case would be good as well... I'd like one that is quiet, light and doesnt break the bank. Any recommendations from hardwareversand?
    Looks pretty decent, just a few questions.

Get rid of the 3570k and replace it with an i5 3450.

Why the massive PSU? You can run the 3570k and 7870 off a 450 watt with room for upgrades, loads of fans etc.

Onboard sound has come a long way since when you built your computer, so I wouldn't recommend a sound card unless you had some €250+ kickass surround sound setup, or maybe produce music?

As for overclocking, I'd really recommend overclocking the GPU. You can get a massive boost in framerate, and it won't do anything to your card. Have a look at this:

4709_20_msi_radeon_hd_7870_hawk_2gb_overclocked_video_card_review.png

When overclocked, your HD7870 could beat a HD7970 by a fair margin in some games, which is crazy considering you're getting it for basically half the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Done! A friend of mine actually said that the 450W wouldn't hack it and that a 700W would be better. I'll claw it back a little bit.

I'll have a think about overclocking the graphics card a bit. Never really been into it for some reason but its worth a go.

Will use the other CPU too. Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Just so as you know, overclock is very easy with the 3570K and I'd really recommend that you go down that route if you have the money. Dangers associated with overclocking are often exaggerated, if that's what you are thinking. You can get quite a bit of extra CPU performance with little effort. You'd need a "K" CPU and a motherboard that overclocks like ones based on the Z77 chipset.

Out of interest, how quick are Hardwareversand?

I ordered on Saturday night and did the bank transfer via Open24 immediately. To date I've heard nothing from them, except for the initial order confirmation. No "money received" email, even though I asked them to send me one.

At what stage does their website update? My order is still at "Online Order" in the list under My Profile and hasn't budged from there. Whats the next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

it takes 1 working day for bank transfer to go through with my aib online account. they dispatch same day after payment received and takes 4-5 working days for delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Sounds like they haven't received the money or they haven't gotten around to your order yet. I ordered on the 7th August, they didn't do anything until the 10th.

It will say the goods are ready for collection or assemble, then the invoice will be made and then the goods are dispatched. That all happened on the same day.

Thanks. Its just gone to payment received!

Advertisement