Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Students 2012/2013

• 29-08-2012 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there,
    Just wondering are there many Masters students on Boards in UCC? I'm pursuing the MA in English (Modernities) and was just wondering is there anyone on Boards doing any of the English-related masters, or any masters at all in UCC? :) I'm moving down from Galway, never been in Cork much so just trying to suss out who's going to be there :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm doing a Masters in Business Information Systems, so hi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Doing an MA in History but only for a few months more, I'm nearly finished. Hello and welcome to UCC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭angs77

Hi, I'm doing a MSc in Interactive Media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 Arabella

Hi there,
    Just wondering are there many Masters students on Boards in UCC? I'm pursuing the MA in English (Modernities) and was just wondering is there anyone on Boards doing any of the English-related masters, or any masters at all in UCC? :) I'm moving down from Galway, never been in Cork much so just trying to suss out who's going to be there :)

I'm starting the MA English (Medieval to Renaissance). I just finished my English degree at UCC. The department is great, as is UCC and Cork in general, so you should have no trouble settling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

it's nice to know there's a few humanities postgrads hanging around the board! I'm going to be doing an MRes in History and I'm already nervous about being isolated from other postgrads! That said, I'm looking forward to hearing news from UCC about registration. I'm sure I'll question my enthusiasm later in the year but right now I can't wait to get back!

• Advertisement

Crosswalk wrote: »
    it's nice to know there's a few humanities postgrads hanging around the board! I'm going to be doing an MRes in History and I'm already nervous about being isolated from other postgrads! That said, I'm looking forward to hearing news from UCC about registration. I'm sure I'll question my enthusiasm later in the year but right now I can't wait to get back!

In what field of history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 i90yb8jtdchuwe

Hey everyone, a big thanks for all the replies and a big hello to all of you :) I'm also really looking forward to getting my registration done, really excited to move down to Cork :) Maybe we could do some sort of Boards postgrad meet up, like the first year Boards.ie members are having? :)

I've a friend who moved to Cork from Galway and she loved it. But Cork and UCC are great places. You've reason to be excited. :cool:

Don't knock meeting with first years. Most Boards gatherings aren't exclusive so you'll get a range from 1st years up to postgrad level. That being said, I don't think we've had a PhD at a meetup I've been to!

All good news, it's just getting better and better as it gets closer :) Ah I don't mind meeting first years at all really, its more about academic similarity really, it's different being a first year doing a postgrad and a first year doing an undergrad so it'd be nice to experience that with some other postgrads :)

All good news, it's just getting better and better as it gets closer :) Ah I don't mind meeting first years at all really, its more about academic similarity really, it's different being a first year doing a postgrad and a first year doing an undergrad so it'd be nice to experience that with some other postgrads :)

sounds good to me - would be good to get to know a few new faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

just as a side note to all you oldies, the meet-up is open to anyone willing to come along...maybe ye can have your meetup at the same time? it would be great to have the two crowds together.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056742496

Can anyone give me a little insight.

I know my start date is the 24th of September - I even have the timetable, but I have received nothing apart from an odd email from UCC.

The website says that Orientation for Post Grads is the evening that we start, and that we will receive an info pack from the University in early September.

Do we need to register ahead of the time in order to be able to access the computer systems etc in the University?, or am I jumping the gun.

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.

angs77 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a little insight.

I know my start date is the 24th of September - I even have the timetable, but I have received nothing apart from an odd email from UCC.

The website says that Orientation for Post Grads is the evening that we start, and that we will receive an info pack from the University in early September.

Do we need to register ahead of the time in order to be able to access the computer systems etc in the University?, or am I jumping the gun.

Any insight would be gratefully appreciated.

I've got nothing either bar the email a few weeks ago. You can register online now (part 1) but I haven't got the pack yet. As long as you've registered before the registration part 2

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/incoming/pgregtimetable/

it's ok

Ah, you're not a current UCC student are you? Info pack should hopefully be this week then, or at latest next week I'd imagine.

titan18 wrote: »
    I've got nothing either bar the email a few weeks ago. You can register online now (part 1) but I haven't got the pack yet. As long as you've registered before the registration part 2

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/postgrad/incoming/pgregtimetable/

it's ok

Ah, you're not a current UCC student are you? Info pack should hopefully be this week then, or at latest next week I'd imagine.

does it show? ;) I'm moving to UCC to do my masters - Tralee didn't offer the one I wanted.

How do you register online?

does it show? ;) I'm moving to UCC to do my masters - Tralee didn't offer the one I wanted.

How do you register online?

You can't atm as you don't have your student number and pin. For anyone who's been in UCC before, they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Have some of ye started your Masters? How are ye finding them? In particular anyone doing the BIS or Interactive Multimedia Masters? They are two I have in mind if I ever do a Masters in UCC.

If you weren't a student with UCC before, you will receive a letter with your student number and pin and all the details and login when you register for your course and details of where you be based on your first day - time and location/room. You get your timetable from the secretary of the department you are studying in or you get it online for some part of the timetable. You can email the secretary of your department and they email you the full timetable.

Just wondering does anyone know when exactly we will receive the Registration Pack. :confused:

Just wondering does anyone know when exactly we will receive the Registration Pack. :confused:

I received mine last week

titan18 wrote: »

I received mine last week

Time to send an email and make a call in the morning I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I haven't received mine either (for the MSc in Molecular Cell Biology with Bioinnovation), but I emailed my course co-ordinator about it and she told me I would get it by the end of the week.
    I was also told that orientation was on Friday week, and I'll be away on that date. Does anyone know how important orientation (not registration part 2 mind, that's the following week...) is to attend if you've already attended UCC for the last 4 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Sbryf

I got my welcome pack this week. I study Business Information Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Does anyone know if lectures start on the 24th (Monday) even if registration is not until the 25th (Tuesday)? :confused:

telekon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if lectures start on the 24th (Monday) even if registration is not until the 25th (Tuesday)? :confused:

I'm presuming they do anyway. First lectures are usually about 15 minutes and are mostly a welcome and module overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Anyone else in the position of waiting for their grant to be confirmed?

If I don't hear by next week, I am supposed to pay half of the fees up front in order to register. This is money I just don't have.

Anyone else in the same boat or able to shine a light on what can be done in a situation like this. Should I just contact academic admin?

Thanks.

danlen wrote: »
    Anyone else in the position of waiting for their grant to be confirmed?

If I don't hear by next week, I am supposed to pay half of the fees up front in order to register. This is money I just don't have.

Anyone else in the same boat or able to shine a light on what can be done in a situation like this. Should I just contact academic admin?

Thanks.

I'm in the exact same boat. I applied the second week of June and it was just last week that they contacted me by letter looking for forms to be sent in - I've done all that and rang them yesterday just to be told it can take up to one month to process forms.

I asked them what I am supposed to tell the finance people in UCC - and his response was 'you are marked eligible on the system, so tell them you are waiting for grant approval'.

Like you, I am considering phoning the college Monday morning and asking them what the situation would be if I was to start on the 24th with final conformation of the grant.

Hey, was just wondering if any of the postgrads knocking around on this thread are heading to the meet-up on Sunday the 23rd? :)

Hey, was just wondering if any of the postgrads knocking around on this thread are heading to the meet-up on Sunday the 23rd? :)

What time and where?

I am only moving up that day, so would depend on the time it is organized for.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

In what field of history?

Intellectual history in 17th century Ireland, to be precise. :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from PAC as to whether I've been accepted for it actually. The amount of councils and departments the application has to go through is mad. My potential supervisor says there's no worry about it being accepted but I'd like to get things sorted before term starts!

What time and where?

I am only moving up that day, so would depend on the time it is organized for.

It's all on this thread, but AFAIK it's on at 5.30 on Sunday the 23rd!

• Advertisement

It's all on this thread, but AFAIK it's on at 5.30 on Sunday the 23rd!

Prob' won't make it - pity it isn't later.

Advertisement