Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please!

• 29-08-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    Firstly, I'd like to say how helpful this forum is and thanks to you all for posting.
    I'm hoping I can get some advice please. I'm a second level history and religion teacher. I'm only 2 years qualified and I'm feeling very disillusioned at the moment. I know it's only the first week back but I'm really questioning my ability as a teacher and with the teaching profession in general.
    I've been lucky enough to get work both this year and last year, albeit part time/subbing/maternity cover. So far, as a non permanent teacher at second level, I have never really felt any connection to the classes I have as I was never with them on a long term basis. I've gotten involved in extra curricular activities but I feel very disposable and not taken seriously by both students and teachers. I've been in DEIS schools since qualifying and find classroom management unbearable at times. I try to engage students by using ICT, group work etc. but despite repeated attempts I lose the will to continue. Going forward, with my subjects, I don't believe I can secure a decent contract and dread the thought of being 30 and still living at home.
    I really don't mean to come across as a major whinger, I do know I'm lucky to have something and there are many of you not as fortunate.
    I would like to know if any of you have ever considered doing Primary teaching and if you have, is there any way to be given credit in any modules because I already have a teaching qualification? I'm fully aware of the challenges at primary too but was just an option I was considering long term. I'd really appreciate any advice.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

dont' quite know what to say other than that 2 years isn't quite that long so give yourself a bit of time to get the discipline under your belt - i found when i became pregnant and went back to work after having the baby i suddenly lost all patience for time wasting and got much firmer with discipline. being tired and hormonal did wonders for my classroom management as i just cut straight to the chase and cut out any BS -- now i'm not advocating you go out and get pregnant lol but just take get a handle on discipline. don't go ott, don't raise your voice even when students are really testing you and keep a level head at all times. have a clear set of consequences for misbehaviour - i worked in a school that used a points basis to discipline students and for years afterwards (even though i wasn't even in the school that long) i kept coming back to that points system in my head and using that as a guide as to the seriousness of the level of disruption. maybe work out a similar set of markers for yourself
    re the primary school teaching i don't know anything about that so can't help you sorry
    best of luck with it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sorry you are having a tough time, but if you are considering primary, I suggest you do some voluntary time there. It's tough going too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brea1038

Thank you so much for the replies :D

Advertisement