Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLR FM ..supporting local businesses ????????

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

It annoys the crap out of me too when they bang on about how much they love Waterford and please support the Waterford business and then they play the advert for a cork hotel haha they are some shower of money wh**es. I would have no problem with them playing this advert if they didn't harp on about their love for Waterford and all business's from Waterford.

If people dont like the bloody station, turn it off, listen to something else. No one says you have to listen to it.

Yes Total Broadcast solutions are a waterford based company and I'm sure WLR are one of their clients. You do know WLR is owned by a Cork based company TCH Holdings and the other 20% by Des Whelan. So there goes the whole local thing.

There is a simple solution to this, buy them out and make it 100% local so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Max Powers wrote: »
    WLR in fairness do support local stuff/festivals/businesses with advertising/good rates/ promotions - bring the van there etc etc.

You don't think they do that for free?? They charge to have an outdoor broadcasts (or bring the van as you called it) at store openings or other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

RumMonkey wrote: »
    You don't think they do that for free?? They charge to have an outdoor broadcasts (or bring the van as you called it) at store openings or other events.

Seen the prices they charge for advertising. Bloody mental prices. Fook it though, if they can get people to pay it then why not haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Black Suir wrote: »
    If people dont like the bloody station, turn it off, listen to something else. No one says you have to listen to it.

Not if it is wired through the workplace smartarse. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Man Up

Man, where do I start? Folks, I was only making the point that I was, and am, fed up with WLR banging on endlessly about supporting local businesses when this is clearly not always the case.

I know nothing about the guy who looks after their radio signal or transmitter!

I have no idea if he sat an interview, or indeed, if anyone did. I have no idea if he is directly employed, part-time, full-time or as and when required!

No, I'm not a disgruntled interviewee failure! Well, not in this case anyway, as I know nothing about this type of work!

I have no personal issues with WLR! I have already admitted that I listen to it, and I do so daily!

I explained clearly that I find it irritating and hypocritical that WLR being a local station harps on about supporting local businesses when this seems to not always be the case! I asked if others had reason to think similarly! I used the example I did as it came up in conversation whilst in Limerick on holiday!

I have no idea how much they charge for ads!

I am not a disgruntled listener - I do enjoy listening!

I apologise to the guy (or girl dressed as a guy :-)) whose only contribution was to condemn me, due to my use of the English language! However, there were indeed issues with the grammar on my starter post that obviously escaped their eagle eye!

I simply came on to make a point that I thought was worthy of discussion, and if i think of others I will do the same!

If you spotted someone you admired, who constantly moaned and shouted about the dangers of alcohol, would you not think they were a hypocrite if you discovered they were drinking to excess daily???

Well, it's the same principle here, WLR are shouting through my speakers daily about supporting local businesses when this is evidently not always the case! As someone else has pointed out WLR don't have to leave Waterford to find a reputable company to do a similar job as they have some guy from Limerick doing. I have no issue with the guy, I can't even remember his name, my issue is with the contradiction in the message that WLR is putting out about supporting local businesses when this is obviously not always the case! If they weren't putting out this message then I wouldn't have brought the topic up!

Man Up - I don't do txt speak! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fair enough. And we could do follow up discussions on

'I got broadband but I don't have an apartment full of gorgeous girls borrowing it'

'I bought x brand of ham but my kids still mess about when they are supposed to be eating their lunch'

'I have been eating this breakfast cereal, but I am not slim and beautiful yet'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Does anyone know the other show in the Top 10 listenership in Waterford that's not on WLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Man Up

To explain, the impression i have is that WLR-FM employ a guy from Limerick to do their transmission work on a contract basis. This is despite there being a perfectly competent radio transmission company in Waterford - someone earlier mentioned Total Broadcast.

I'm told that they were not even given the opportunity to price for the work. It look's like WLR would rather give the work to someone else than offer them it.

That's the simple version!

Strange that they go on about supporting local buisnesses but won't in this case.

Man Up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Man Up wrote: »
    To explain, the impression i have is that WLR-FM employ a guy from Limerick to do their transmission work on a contract basis. This is despite there being a perfectly competent radio transmission company in Waterford - someone earlier mentioned Total Broadcast.

I'm told that they were not even given the opportunity to price for the work. It look's like WLR would rather give the work to someone else than offer them it.

That's the simple version!

Strange that they go on about supporting local buisnesses but won't in this case.

Man Up

Ah that's easy, the woman who works for WLR in the canteen is cousin to the wife of one of the guys who works in the office in Total Broadcast. She was out with the cousin because she reckoned she had told her brother (the brother of the woman in the canteen) that the brother of the guy in Total Broadcast's office had been doing a line with the brother's (canteen woman's brother) friend. And it wasn't true. So he told the wife of the guy in the office, and he told the manager that they were not reliable. So the guy in Limerick, who was recommended by one of their clients, who hadn't actually used him, but he was talking to someone in a bar who did, got the job.

• Advertisement

Not if it is wired through the workplace smartarse. :p

point taken, but it could allow some people in the work place go on the air if the need arose, especially during the current affairs programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Now i remember a time when a small "local" business like the local plumber, carpenter, electrician, could afford to advertise on WLR but they have seemed to move away from supporting small local business due to the small local business not having enough money to pay for air time that wlr are charging ,,, it's a ripp off, when people say they support local business through advertising it makes me sick, Like who the likes of big car dealerships advertising against the local trades man? ow the hell can the local small business compete with the likes on buying airtime? answer = impossible.

It's gone to the cost now,
    1 seccond airtime = €1.00 + vat?
    Probobly more now,

I remember a time when wlr had an interest in local business but not anymore ,only the local business with fat wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

banjacksed wrote: »
    Now i remember a time when a small "local" business like the local plumber, carpenter, electrician, could afford to advertise on WLR but they have seemed to move away from supporting small local business due to the small local business not having enough money to pay for air time that wlr are charging ,,, it's a ripp off, when people say they support local business through advertising it makes me sick, Like who the likes of big car dealerships advertising against the local trades man? ow the hell can the local small business compete with the likes on buying airtime? answer = impossible.

It's gone to the cost now,
    1 seccond airtime = €1.00 + vat?
    Probobly more now,

I remember a time when wlr had an interest in local business but not anymore ,only the local business with fat wallets.

That doesn't sound in the slightest bit expensive.

Are you for real?

you need at least 5 20 seccond ads a day at least 5 days a week to impact that ads, and at least to run the ads for a minimum of 5 months.

5 x 20 sec ads a day 20 x 5 = 100 + vat at 23% = €123.00 per day

€123.00 x 5 = €615.00 per month

And your saying its not dear????

jesus you must know some serious local trades men that can afford that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

banjacksed wrote: »

Are you for real?

you need at least 5 20 seccond ads a day at least 5 days a week to impact that ads, and at least to run the ads for a minimum of 5 months.

5 x 20 sec ads a day 20 x 5 = 100 + vat at 23% = €123.00 per day

€123.00 x 5 = €615.00 per month

And your saying its not dear????

jesus you must know some serious local trades men that can afford that. :rolleyes:

Calm down you psycho. I'm allowed a different opinion.

Calm down you psycho. I'm allowed a different opinion.

im not a luny :p just a realist

yes you are allowed an oppinion,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

615 per month for 5 ads on the radio a day actually isn't expensive.

The problem is, that running a radio station in Ireland is - because of the way the business model is imposed by the regulator - a very expensive business.

Not WLR, but a station I know of HAS to bill around 15-20k PER WEEK in order to break even.

Thats not easy these days.

Besides, that's not what this thread is about: I do not find it appropriate however for me to comment on the OP's original subject, though, as I am closely connected with the Waterford broadcast transmission company mentioned.

A.

Advertisement