Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Bank charges

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering about my AIB current account:

Does AIB charge you 20 cents for withdrawals? Also do they have a quarterly charge of 4.50?

I don't use my Irish account much because I live in England. I'm abroad in Europe and the moment and using my account to make withdrawals.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Yes, they charge 20 cents for any use of taking money from your account be it at the counter, by ATM or as a Debit card in a shop.

Not sure about the quarterly charge. will have to find my last statement of charges.

They also charge 10 Euro if they refuse a direct debit. Happened to me a two times. The reason the money wasn't there to meet the D.D.- They took they're bank charges first.

The Banks, any of them, will never let themselves go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

Unreal...

Especially about the 20c charge. I know it's not much but even the UK banks don't have those charges (besides if you go overdrawn)

I'm actually slightly gobsmacked. Any decent banks in Irealnd..

not to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I moved to BOI, its only free for me if I credit the account with €3000 (my wages) per 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Think i will be moving to BOI too. Just got my statement €20 is what I was charged for this 1/4. no was am i going to give them €80 per year.

By what i can see is they charge you for doing anything. Even giving them money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I got a charge of €23. That €2,500 minimum for free banking is a load of BS. I have more than that in savings with them but its not allowed count towards it.

And how many customers will actually even qualify for it? Has to be about 1-2% of customers, maybe. How many people would regularly keep a buffer of €2,500 credit and not dip even €1 below that in a quater? I have a 2k overdraft - that is my buffer. Everything else goes in to a savings account. It just doesnt make sense to leave money lying around in your current account.

Anyway, rant over. I am moving to UB. Their Ufirst account is excellent. For €10 per month you get an OD, mobile phone insurance and 25% off all ticketmaster tickets (last one alone more than 3 times covers annual fees for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

I have 2 separate accounts with AIB and just got hit by over 50e in fees. This is ludicrous.. They didn't even bother notifying me about this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

I got charged 40 euro on my student account. I thought I wouldn't get charged anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Neilinhio wrote: »
    I got charged 40 euro on my student account. I thought I wouldn't get charged anything

You are not supposed to. You are one of the "40% of customers who still qualifies for free banking".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

zielarz wrote: »
    I have 2 separate accounts with AIB and just got hit by over 50e in fees. This is ludicrous.. They didn't even bother notifying me about this change.
    Account fees are calculated quarterly on the last working Friday of February, May, August and November. Fees are charged to customer accounts in March, June, September and December. The fee will be charged on the 16th or where the 16th is not a business day, the next business day, so you should contact your branch & instruct them to refund immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

anyone know do you only get changed for transactions that occur when the account is below 2500 or do they change you for all transactions for the quarter if you dip below that amount at any time? Also does AIB have a way to auto notify you via email/txt if your account is hitting certain thresholds?

I purposely keep my current account low all the times so that if card is lost/stolen or skimmed I can limit my exposure.

I just got a bill for EUR52 and not very happy.

I am definitely changing banks but not sure yet where to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Linoge wrote: »
    Neilinhio wrote: »

You are not supposed to. You are one of the "40% of customers who still qualifies for free banking".

I'll be making a call so

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

BailMeOut wrote: »
    anyone know do you only get changed for transactions that occur when the account is below 2500 or do they change you for all transactions for the quarter if you dip below that amount at any time? Also does AIB have a way to auto notify you via email/txt if your account is hitting certain thresholds?
    QUOTE]

You'll be charged for all transactions once you dip below the threshold, even temporarily. And AIB won't communicate with you by e-mail or text about anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yup, got charged €35 myself. Super. Luckily I get paid before the charge date (17th I think). But definitely time to look at BOI

I've often gotten my statement of charges notification about a week after they've been taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Yup, got charged €35 myself. Super. Luckily I get paid before the charge date (17th I think).

I've checked my printed statement from last week and my online account and cant see any bank charges - where is the charge to be applied on 17th Sept listed? thanks

edit: I dont have 2500eu in my current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bordesleygreen

I just got a statement for €45.90 in charges for this quarter. As the banks were rescued by the people of Ireland, you might justifiably feel that paying once was enough. But no, we get hit again, and we can add this to the list of other charges/levies/taxes that we have or are coming our way.

It also hits those less able to pay (i.e. who do not have €3,000 to keep in the bank). That also goes for the now yearly NCT for the car I cannot afford to replace. Because i haven't got the money to replace it with a new one, I also pay €600+ in road tax.

I just wonder where the breaking point is for the lower and middle in Irish society. Is a revolution out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

So glad I moved to BOI, I got charged €11.50 for 14 days with AIB.

Because I moved mid quarter with BOI, I got hit with fees as I didnt have credits totalling €3000 for the quarter, €4.20 for 2 months.

AIB charged me 28c per credit, so in 1 week, I racked up €1.12 just for credits, 4 credits on my account, never mind DDs.

Seriously, if I could live without a bank account, I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Obviously understand those with direct debits/standing orders etc but any bank will be more than happy to advise on how to reduce your charges. People paying rent using two dockets every week, taking out ten euro at atm etc, then expecting low charges? This is the reasoning behind internet banking, the self service kiosks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bordesleygreen

Graciefacey - I may have misinterpreted you comment, but I wondered how long it would be before someone started blaming customers for using the services the bank offered. It happens everytime we are shafted - "Well, haven't we ourselves to blame?" ... NO!

We were not encouraged to use many of these services, we were forced. You couldn't get the best power tarif unless using DD, and/or had to pay a hefty deposit. I judged my in laws (older generation) for not using DDs and internet bank payments and dealing in cash.

Now it seems we should go back to carrying cash around with us and keeping wads in the biscuit tin. I used my Lazer card to pay for most things and I got hit hard in charges, but that's what I was supposed to do, isn't it. I'm sure most shops would prefer cash and only a few sandwich shops and discount stores managed to hold out against the pressure of accepting cards.

I must admit that I feel the Permanent TSB €12 per quarter is fairer. If you have an internet banking system to maintain, it doesn't cost less if people use it less, or vice versa. We are just being screwed. Can you imagine how much money AIB are taking in this September?

Clonakilty are giving barter a go. Maybe we should start dealing in cash and no receipts needed. This whole thing is morally wrong and economically stupid. I have had enough of that duo in Irish life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

No sign of aib bank charge yet and would have dipped below the 2.5k threshold in the last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

smcgiff wrote: »
    No sign of aib bank charge yet and would have dipped below the 2.5k threshold in the last quarter.
    somebody said few posts back that they will charge it on 16th..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

somebody said few posts back that they will charge it on 16th..

Yes, but some posters are already seem to be getting notification of what the exact charge to be applied on the 16th will be. Where are they getting this info from?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

I got my from an offical AIB letter
    Fee Advice Current Account.
    Dated 31 August 2012

Account Maintance 4.5

DD .20 per transaction
    Electronic Bill Pay .20 per transaction
    Automated Credits .20 per transaction
    Phone and internet banking .20 per transaction
    Debit Card Tractions .20 per transaction
    Non AIB ATM withdrawal .20 per transaction

Manual Lodgement .30 per transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I an furious. I dropped to €2430 for 1 day in July and got hit for €38 in fees for the whole quarter. I also have €5k in a savings account but it doesn't count. Rang the bank and they couldn't have given less of a sh1t. Looking forward to closing the account, mortgage and all when I sell the house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I got a bill today that left me SHOCKED!.....i've had free banking since it came in, i always made sure i met the criteria for no fees, clearly i was living in a bubble because i knew NOTHING about the new changes to T&C that came in on May 28th.

Maintain 2,500 in your account at all times???????????........wtf!, i got a quarterly bill for 28 Euro today, i was stunned. I told the girl on the phone i knew nothing about the changes.

All this will for me to do now is use the Laser card as little as possible and go back to using cash for all transactions....well done AIB!

Graciefacey - I may have misinterpreted you comment, but I wondered how long it would be before someone started blaming customers for using the services the bank offered. It happens everytime we are shafted - "Well, haven't we ourselves to blame?" ... NO!

We were not encouraged to use many of these services, we were forced. You couldn't get the best power tarif unless using DD, and/or had to pay a hefty deposit. I judged my in laws (older generation) for not using DDs and internet bank payments and dealing in cash.

Now it seems we should go back to carrying cash around with us and keeping wads in the biscuit tin. I used my Lazer card to pay for most things and I got hit hard in charges, but that's what I was supposed to do, isn't it. I'm sure most shops would prefer cash and only a few sandwich shops and discount stores managed to hold out against the pressure of accepting cards.

I must admit that I feel the Permanent TSB €12 per quarter is fairer. If you have an internet banking system to maintain, it doesn't cost less if people use it less, or vice versa. We are just being screwed. Can you imagine how much money AIB are taking in this September?

Clonakilty are giving barter a go. Maybe we should start dealing in cash and no receipts needed. This whole thing is morally wrong and economically stupid. I have had enough of that duo in Irish life.

Well said!, for years the banks were ENCOURAGING to move to a cashless society, use Laser for everything....internet banking for DD et or mobile top up etc.

Now they issued this BS account limit....seriously, how many of you were aware of the changes?

I wasn't.....i don't watch bleedin' RTE or newspapers, i choose to live in a bubble than you very much. I like all of you was stunned to learn when i got this bill.

All it has done is forced me to carry and use cash, i'm NOT giving a bank 30-40 quid every four months! :mad:

maddragon wrote: »
    I an furious. I dropped to €2430 for 1 day in July and got hit for €38 in fees for the whole quarter. I also have €5k in a savings account but it doesn't count. Rang the bank and they couldn't have given less of a sh1t. Looking forward to closing the account, mortgage and all when I sell the house.

:eek: you dropped below 2,500 for ONE day.....and got hit for fees for a total quarter???????? :mad::mad::mad:

I'll also bet in December the CC/Laser fess the government take per year will rise as well...wait and see!, sure wasn't it the government itself that reduced the yearly fee to 5 Euro to encourage a cashless society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

:eek: you dropped below 2,500 for ONE day.....and got hit for fees for a total quarter???????? :mad::mad::mad:

I jest you not. 23 years banking with them and this is what you get. Bwankers.

Advertisement