Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Bank charges

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I fired off an email to my account manager in AIB and let her know I opened an Ulster Bank account today and will move all banking to them by the end of the month unless there is a charge of mind re bank charges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I fired off an email to my account manager in AIB and let her know I opened an Ulster Bank account today and will move all banking to them by the end of the month unless there is a charge of mind re bank charges.

Pissing against the wind, but i admire the effort....i'm so livid i can't see straight, i'll be ranting for hours!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Pissing against the wind, but i admire the effort....i'm so livid i can't see straight, i'll be ranting for hours!

It was just common courtesy as she has been very good in all fairness. I know she will be able to do nothing, but it is only by people walking with their feet will it change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

I have just moved back to Ireland and have had to set up a new bank account, having closed it so as to avoid fees some months back. Today I recieved an email from the branch manager stating that as I have opted for the pay as you go option with BOI "The fees are waived if over a quarter you lodge E3000 in total and use online banking to make 9 payments. Opening a savings account, and transferring even small amounts qualifies as a payment."
    €3k over a quater and 9 small transactions. That seems pretty doable. My boss will have dealt with the lodgements in that period and Im plotting a round system with 9 friends where I put the price of a pint into each of their accounts in one week and then get them all to buy me a pint that weekend. Free night out!

I just hope Im not missing something obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Obviously understand those with direct debits/standing orders etc but any bank will be more than happy to advise on how to reduce your charges. People paying rent using two dockets every week, taking out ten euro at atm etc, then expecting low charges? This is the reasoning behind internet banking, the self service kiosks etc.

Don't know about the internet and phone banking but you get charged for using the self service kiosks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I assume any dormant account even with nil balances will be charged each quarter?

MartMax wrote: »
    I assume any dormant account even with nil balances will be charged each quarter?

Jaysus I hope not.

I got an AIB account years ago for my communion that was never used. if they try catching me for back charges, I'll be screwed big time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Guys, just vote with your feet, one of the best things about free market is that you have freedom of choice. I'm moving to Ulster bank, you can apply online for a current account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Jaysus I hope not.

I got an AIB account years ago for my communion that was never used. if they try catching me for back charges, I'll be screwed big time :)

You will...they charge 4.50 even if you use an account or have nothing in it, and it's 4.50 per Qtr. = 18 Euro per year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had a student account from when you got a free Student Card! They sent me a letter advising me that all current accounts with 12 months inactivity and a nill balance, will be closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

I still havent received notification from AIB as to my bank charges on the 16th.

Is there anyone else out there with a current account with less than €2500, who hasnt been notified by AIB with the amount to be deducted on the 16th for quarterly charges?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Just got paid today so checked my balance - sure enough Fee's there on the account of about 25 quid. Rang them to complain, bad enough that they put up the fees,but the fact they didn't so much as send a letter to inform customers is the ultimate two-fingers to their customers.I was told that they had advertised it in the media. Well I didn't see it anywhere, and I read the paper, listen to the radio regularly.

I've grumbled, I've moaned, I've been getting more and more annoyed with everything bank related but this is the last "screw you customer" I'm putting up with so I am moving from AIB and I'll make sure to send a letter to the branch manager to tell them why.I've been an aib customer for about 15 years and this is how I, and all their other customers are treated.

So.. what's the alternative.

BOI have charges
    Ulsterbank don't, but will be bringing them in. Not sure I trust them after the recent mess ups either
    TSB maybe?

Is it an option not to use a standard bank, seriously - as in to use Credit Union as a current account, - anyone ever looked into doing something like that and would it be practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Can anyone explain to me the rundown of AIB bank charges?

was charged €15.50 from May to August, has this always been the case?

Just looking at my statements I was also charged €16.70 in May of this year.

How are they calculated?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You should have got a letter in the post with a breakdown...

Mr E wrote: »
    You should have got a letter in the post with a breakdown...

I don't recall it to be honest

Is there anywhere I can find a breakdown, would you know off the top of your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Account Maintenance: €4.50
    Non AIB ATM Withdrawals @ €0.20 each
    Banklink Withdrawals @ €0.20 each
    Direct Debits @ €0.20 each
    Automated Credits @ €0.20 each
    Debit Card Transactions @ €0.20 each
    Electronic Bill Payments @ €0.20 each
    Incoming Credit Transfers @ €0.30 each

I understand that you can avail of banking free of Maintenance and transaction fees if you maintain a minimum daily credit statement balance of
    €2,500 in the account for each fee quarter.

Does that simply mean having more than €2,500 in your account at the start of each quarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

No, each and every single day.

Fungus wrote: »
    No, each and every single day.

so if your account doesn't drop below 2.5k at all during 365 days of the year then you don't pay fees?

ive never dropped below €3k in the last 2 years, yet i got charged 15.50 in May and 16.70 today.

How the hell is this worked out?

I have a current account by the way

I thought once you kept more than 3k in the bank all year round then you were not touched no? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

like many here, I've also been surprised with charges from those AIB fúckers. I've been with them for years and I have often gone well below this 3k threshold and as long as I paid a few bills online and did a few transactions online per quarter I was never charged fees.
    Now this all of a sudden....I'm livid. We own this bank for fúck sake:mad:

I'm amazed at all the talk of people moving to Ulster Bank...eh, hello!!! Does everyone here have short memory, I'd rather give my money to the latest splinter republican movement than give it to those incompetent baboons.

So, apart from UB, is there anywhere else I could move my money without having to pay fees, BOI some are saying? Or are their fees just more fair (if such a notion exists amongst the Satan spawn that are our banks).

I'm so annoyed, I will write a letter to my branch manager but I know he will only use it to light his cigar....hateful pricks the lot of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Jaysus I hope not.

You will...they charge 4.50 even if you use an account or have nothing in it, and it's 4.50 per Qtr. = 18 Euro per year :mad:

Unless you transact on the account you will not be charged. Transfers between your own accounts on the same number line are also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I closed my AIB account and every one else should do the same!
    I don't stand for being robbed blind with out notice! so ripped up my chqe book and cut my AIB laser card went into the branch gave my account number along with the cut up items and said keep your account just hope more folk do the same vote with your feet after 20 years with AIB i just wont stand for it!
    ROBBERY END OF..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

patwicklow wrote: »
    I don't stand for being robbed blind with out notice! so ripped up my chqe book and cut my AIB laser card went into the branch gave my account number along with the cut up items and said keep your account just hope more folk do the same vote with your feet after 20 years with AIB i just wont stand for it!
    ROBBERY END OF..

while I like your style, what are you now doing for banking? I have a family, salaries, bills etc, unfortunately I need a bank a/c but I am only dying to go into my branch with the same stance as you, I just need an alternative.

Fair f**ks to you though.

My credit Union was offering ATMs and DD etc a few years ago but they have seriously scaled back. I could live without a laser card. I just want my wages paid in and the money out so I can spend it.

Time to use the same letter I used to AIB to send to BOI to close my account. I still have a converted Cashsave account with AIB. I need to study which bank are more expensive for very minimal activity.

Yes, also there is no interest paid on this balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

patwicklow wrote: »
    ROBBERY END OF..

Did you really...or did you go into the branch and politely request they close the account?

If you took the former approach you might want to confirm that the account is actually closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

BOI have now amended their criteria for no fees (and not in our favour!)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056760912

Printed a statement today and noticed that they took fees over a week and a half ago

Came straight home to double check for a notification letter and asked herself had one come unknown to me. None had.

Surely it is illegal for them to take out fees without sending me a notice with a detailed breakdown.

As I said a few weeks back, I often get them after the fees are taken but this time I've gotten nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I still havent received notification from AIB as to my bank charges on the 16th.
    As I said a few weeks back, I often get them after the fees are taken but this time I've gotten nothing.

I don't know if the following applies to either of you, but for what it's worth:

From pdf AIB Guide to Fees & Charges to Personal Accounts

If in any quarter the fees and charges exceed €10.00, we
    will provide you with a detailed breakdown of the amount
    being charged at least ten business days before they are
    charged. A breakdown of amounts of €10.00 or less is
    available on request.

Advertisement