Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralympics 2012 Daily Diary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

It's such a shame that we really only get to see Paralympic sports every 4 years in the aftermath of the Olympic Games....surely there's an appetite for more coverage. I'm hooked, particularly so in the athletics events. I'll miss them when they're over that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Hopefully Orla can be still 3rd when her turn comes. That way she'd be guaranteed a medal and she can relax a bit and give her final 3 throws her all and maybe sneak the silver

Brian017 wrote: »
    Hopefully Orla can be still 3rd when her turn comes. That way she'd be guaranteed a medal and she can relax a bit and give her final 3 throws her all and maybe sneak the silver

Two of those athletes have completed their throws now...top 6 still to throw.

The big danger to Orla losing out on a medal is the second Algerian thrower who's in 4th place overall. She's up now soon...the good news is that she has already thrown a season's best so will have to big even deeper to find the extra 33cm she needs to overhaul Orla. The bad news is that she is obviously in the best form she's been in this year, let's hope she's reached her limits for 2012 :D

The Algerian thrower is the only one now in the way of an Irish medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭noelfirl

*tense times as we wait for a webpage to update*

noelfirl wrote: »
    *tense times as we wait for a webpage to update*

She fouled her first attempt :) (sorry, don't want to be mean to her but I want Orla to get a medal)

A medal for Orla and Ireland :)

Now come on Orla, bronze is in the bag...silver is up for grabs!!

Yay! She's in place now about to throw on C4 stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Another Medal:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Dan man wrote: »
    A medal for Orla and Ireland :)

I read the Official Page and thought 'I think that means Orla has a Bronze at least, but I'm not 100% sure and I don't want to put my foot in it'

So I waited for Dan man to confirm, just in case. Another medal in the bag !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Live on Setanta atm....

And that is bronze. Well done Orla!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Into double figures.

Orla Barry....BRONZE MEDAL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Brilliant stuff Orla and Helen.

What a fantastic couple of weeks for the Irish team.

Greedily awaiting your synopsis of medal hopes for tomorrow Dan...

Medal watch....

IRELAND 5 GOLD 2 SILVER 3 BRONZE 10 TOTAL

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Really delighted for Orla. Done us so proud...:)

Medal watch.... No such thing as a medal drought where our Paralympians are concerned and Day 7 may well shower more medals down on the Irish team. The bag of medals claimed by the Irish in London is by now bursting at the seams but tomorrow should bring yet more success for Ireland. Colin Lynch is aiming to claim is first medal of the Games in the men's Road Cycling C2 Individual Time-Trial. He is the reigning World Champion in the event so our medal ambitions will be well served tomorrow morning with Colin going in the saddle. He will be the last rider to set-off in the C2 event tomorrow and with a bit of luck we should be celebrating medal #11.

Colin Lynch in his Rainbow World Champion's Jersey:
    Colin-Lynch-First-Rainbow.jpg

Catherine Walsh is another big medal prospect for a medal tomorrow alongside her pilot Fran Meehan. The pair are already silver medallists at these Paralympics on the track and are looking for a double success tomorrow afternoon. They are the penultimate pair to set-off tomorrow and as I said will be one of the medal favourites. Katie George Dunlevy and pilot Sandra Fitzgerald go in the same event and should also finish fairly high up the standings but are likely to be outside of the medal positions.

Catherine Walsh (left) with sighted pilot Fran Meehan with their silver medals:
    catherine-walsh-and-francine-meehan-celebrate-winning-silver-292012-2-630x420.jpg

Last but certainly not least to get a mention is Mark Rohan. He is big gold medal favourite in his hand-cycling HC1 Time-Trial event. He is the current World Champion (in both road race and time-trial) and has been dominating the World Cup events over the last 2 years. Don't miss him tomorrow afternoon (starts at 16:05) as I think we're onto something really good here with Mark.

Mark Rohan gives us the thumbs up:
    mark-rohan.jpeg

Tomorrow could be another super day for Team Ireland...it's going to be special, maybe even another golden day!!
    By the way, Ireland are still in a very strong position in the overall medals table, currently 14th, just ahead of Spain, Canada, Netherlands, South Korea and New Zealand with Italy and Japan even further behind! Astonishingly good performance by Ireland so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

I saw Ireland were 14th on the medals table when I came in last night and checked.....incredible! And Dan as you said ahead of some real powerhouses...I'm absolutely thrilled with that. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

When is Mark Rohan racing?? Really want to see how that's done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When is Mark Rohan racing?? Really want to see how that's done!

Around 4 ,I think ..

Edit just checked Dan man's post 4.05

Colin Lynch is well on course for a podium finish after the halfway point...just 2 secs off the best time after 8km...looking really good so far!!

5th place finish for Colin....I think he's going to be gutted with that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dan man wrote: »
    Colin Lynch is well on course for a podium finish after the halfway point...just 2 secs off the best time after 8km...looking really good so far!!
    Were you using the London 2012 site for those timings Dan? I found them very unreliable, with placings being changed at the interim points for no apparent reason in some of the events - in the C5 the GB guy was shown as first at the 2 interims just before the event finished but ended up behind Cathal in around 12th place

Beasty wrote: »
    Were you using the London 2012 site for those timings Dan? I found them very unreliable, with placings being changed at the interim points for no apparent reason in some of the events - in the C5 the GB guy was shown as first at the 2 interims just before the event finished but ended up behind Cathal in around 12th place

Yeah I was....and you're right, it is unreliable....one minute it was saying he was 2nd at halfway, then he supposedly hadn't even started, other athletes' names were dropping off the page and re-appearing again....then all of a sudden the official results were in and he was 5th :D
    Gutted for Colin....he's had a hard couple of months in competition from what I gather from following his twitter feed. How do you rate his chances in the road race Beasty? A medal is less likely in that event is it not but you never know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Dan, you're a fountain of sporting knowledge. I thought I was good in this department until I came across your Olympic and Paralympic updates. I want you on a sports trivia team of mine someday! :D

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Dan, you're a fountain of sporting knowledge. I thought I was good in this department until I came across your Olympic and Paralympic updates. I want you on a sports trivia team of mine someday! :D

:D Cheers, maybe I'll get to put my love of sports to good use someday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Every panel needs A Dunphy :cool:

Advertisement