Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralympics 2012 Daily Diary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

4th for Darragh McDonald....another P.B.....great swim. Great Games for Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Great race & a great result. Huge support for Darragh in The Aquatic Center. Fair play to our neighbours and The Travelling Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PB for Darragh so you cant ask for more.

some swim by the winner. blown away I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

So close to breaking 21 seconds. Give him 2 years focussing on the 200 and he could come very close to the Irish record...:)

He's great, but lets not go nuts here. 20.30 is world class and Smyth is not in that sort of league. Also I believe Stephen Colvert will take Hesh's record down further. Jason may be 200m paralympic champ, but in terms of abled-body he will always be a 100m runner.

All Irish competitors at these Paralympics have completed their competitions.....

FINAL MEDAL STANDING:

IRELAND 8 GOLD 3 SILVER 5 BRONZE 16 TOTAL

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    He's great, but lets not go nuts here. 20.30 is world class and Smyth is not in that sort of league. Also I believe Stephen Colvert will take Hesh's record down further. Jason may be 200m paralympic champ, but in terms of abled-body he will always be a 100m runner.
    I disagree. If he concentrated on the 200 over the next few years there's nothing stopping him making huge strides on that time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I disagree. If he concentrated on the 200 over the next few years there's nothing stopping him making huge strides on that time...

0.75 is an absolute eternity in 200m running. When Paul Hession was running 20.30 he was 10th in the Olympic Games. I'm sorry, but there's a bit of delusion going on here. Jason is a world class paralympian, one of the best in the world in any event, but he is not near that level that you think he will get to in able-bodied competition. He's a 100m runner and I 100% guarantee you that's where his focus will lie for Moscow next year and all the way to Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Dave Weir of Britain just won the Wheelchair Marathon to add to his victories at the 800m, 1500m and 5000m at the Paralympics.

Terrific achievement, a shame the OBS didn't provide proper Television coverage of the Marathons today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Incredible achievement by David Weir....agreed Skid; it would have been great to see it properly.

On a slightly different note....did anyone watch 'The Last Leg' with Adam Hills after the channel 4 coverage every night....I loved it (and Adam!) Was thinking he and I would make a good team....2 legs between us lol.

Maryanne40 wrote: »
    Incredible achievement by David Weir....agreed Skid; it would have been great to see it properly.

On a slightly different note....did anyone watch 'The Last Leg' with Adam Hills after the channel 4 coverage every night....I loved it (and Adam!) Was thinking he and I would make a good team....2 legs between us lol.

Yeah, I saw 'The Last Leg' most nights. I enjoyed it too. Some good interviews with the Athletes, and it showed that most of them have a great sense of humour.

Adam Hills was an inspired choice, I have seen his Stand Up live a few times. He is very entertaining. His Driving Licence story is a winner :)

• Advertisement

I am now TOTALLY in love!! Thanx Skid :) And he was in Dublin!!!

Ireland's ultimate ranking in the medals table: 19th place, just behind France, Spain and South Africa (who all had 8 golds too but more silvers and bronze medals than Ireland) and above Canada, New Zealand and Japan amongst others. Incredible performance!

We beat New Zealand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

What are we going to complain about now?:p

I know you cant compare country population v medals too precisely cause in ways it unfair to certain countries, but Irelands medals tally and position is fantastic.

Netherlands and Poland did very well too just quickly glancing through table

I wonder if you could make a graph with the medal count in relation to population size where we'd be? I saw that done somewhere for the Olympics. It'd be interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the top 3 or 4.

Thanks to all the contributers to this thread.....you were great company and I'm already missing it.

I wonder if you could make a graph with the medal count in relation to population size where we'd be? I saw that done somewhere for the Olympics. It'd be interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the top 3 or 4.

Thanks to all the contributers to this thread.....you were great company and I'm already missing it.

Yes have really enjoyed both games. Been great in here and everyone gets on well and was little to no bad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

same here, i dont remember bejin for some reason but this time i thought oh heck with it i'll watch some of it, i got quickly sucked in watching nearly all of it, thank god for channell 4. rte boo to you.i am in aw with all the team ireland even though they have some thing thats not working right for them they will put all their soul and strenth into what ever was thrown at them to win gold,silver and bronz. for me it was great that katie taylor won her gold, but since paralympics im more proud of them cos they have over come all to get to london2012.

Love to have went to London to the games themselves, but just had weddings and stuff on so could not afford it, but I plan to go to Rio in 4 years time(touch wood im still healthy etc). Even if its only for 1 of the weeks I am going to go, so going put a bit away each month for it.

This will be a bit of a rambling post, but here goes ...

London put on an epic show for the Paralympics (as they did for The Olympics) They have set the bar very high for Rio.

Packed crowds every day at the Olympic Stadium, even for the Morning Sessions. That was unheard of before 2012. So many brilliant, inspirational performances by the Athletes. The Ireland team were amazing, medals coming so fast I could hardly keep track

And the Paralympics never really had daily live coverage before now, but Channel 4 delivered and were rewarded with huge audiences. Daraine Mulvihill was really good. Anchoring a huge live Sports programme is very difficult, but she made it look easy. I hope we see more of her on Television soon.

There was terrific company on this forum once again. Dan man's daily briefings and regular updates on our Athletes was the best Paralympic resource on the Internet, bar none. And all the posters kept the thread going along brilliantly - whenever Ireland were closing in on a Medal (very often!) this was where I heard about it first.

A brilliant Games, which will live long in the memory.:)

This has been a great Olympics/Paralympics....fair play to London for pulling it off.

Also have to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the threads throughout the course of both Games. These threads added no end of enjoyment to my experience of London 2012. It seemed there was always someone online to keep any of us who, for whatever reason, couldn't get to see one of the events, up to date and I felt like I missed out on nothing throughout the course of each Games thanks to the willingness of users to keep us all updated.
    Thanks also for the many compliments....it's great to be appreciated and I have appreciated everyone's participation just as much, believe me!

It's sad to think that it's going to be another 4 years before we do it all again.

• Advertisement

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    0.75 is an absolute eternity in 200m running. When Paul Hession was running 20.30 he was 10th in the Olympic Games. I'm sorry, but there's a bit of delusion going on here. Jason is a world class paralympian, one of the best in the world in any event, but he is not near that level that you think he will get to in able-bodied competition. He's a 100m runner and I 100% guarantee you that's where his focus will lie for Moscow next year and all the way to Rio.
    How much has he taken off his PB in the 200m when winning gold..?

What an honour for Michael McKillop...:)

WOW - what a recognition for Michael McKillop (and Ireland) there in the closing ceremony. Superb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

http://paralympics.channel4.com/results-schedule/medals/medalstats.html

This is up to day 8- apparently we're 2nd behind Iceland

WOW - what a recognition for Michael McKillop (and Ireland) there in the closing ceremony. Superb!
    What an honour for Michael McKillop...:)

what happened? dont have c4 now:(

A special award was given to two athletes who stood out in their achievements. Michael was one and a Kenyan lady who throws Javelin and Shot Putt the other...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

The Whang Youn Dai Achievment Award is presented to two athletes who "exemplify the spirit of the Games - to inspire and excite." They are runner Michael McKillop from Ireland and Kenya's Mary Nakhumicha Zakayo.

Skid wrote: »
    This will be a bit of a rambling post, but here goes ...

London put on an epic show for the Paralympics (as they did for The Olympics) They have set the bar very high for Rio.

Packed crowds every day at the Olympic Stadium, even for the Morning Sessions. That was unheard of before 2012. So many brilliant, inspirational performances by the Athletes. The Ireland team were amazing, medals coming so fast I could hardly keep track

And the Paralympics never really had daily live coverage before now, but Channel 4 delivered and were rewarded with huge audiences. Daraine Mulvihill was really good. Anchoring a huge live Sports programme is very difficult, but she made it look easy. I hope we see more of her on Television soon.

There was terrific company on this forum once again. Dan man's daily briefings and regular updates on our Athletes was the best Paralympic resource on the Internet, bar none. And all the posters kept the thread going along brilliantly - whenever Ireland were closing in on a Medal (very often!) this was where I heard about it first.

A brilliant Games, which will live long in the memory.:)

London outdid themselves twice over. Jesus, it was great. Just realised I replaced a forever addiction to the BBC sports website with these updates and Channel 4 the entire last 2 weeks. Forgot about it. That's mad. But that's how good it was here.

F.R. wrote: »
    The Whang Youn Dai Achievment Award is presented to two athletes who "exemplify the spirit of the Games - to inspire and excite." They are runner Michael McKillop from Ireland and Kenya's Mary Nakhumicha Zakayo.
    A special award was given to two athletes who stood out in their achievements. Michael was one and a Nigerian lady who throws Javelin and Shot Putt the other...

wow that fantastic!! Well done to him.

• Advertisement

Coldplay aren't my cup of tea really...

Advertisement