Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paralympics 2012 Daily Diary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Helen Kearney....BRONZE MEDAL!!

Medal watch....

IRELAND 5 GOLD 2 SILVER 2 BRONZE 9 TOTAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its getting to stage where I have to think about who has won what medals:D.

Well done to Helen!!

Darragh finished 8th in his final, but said it was warm up to the 100m. Hopefully more to come.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

KevinK wrote: »

Just read some of this. What an athlete...:)

Channel 4 now!!!

Channel 4 now!!!

They didn't show Heather...:(

Hopefully Orla can bring up Paralympic medal number 10 for Ireland in the discus. That final will be starting shortly (7pm). She has a good chance if she throws to her best form.

For those watching Channel 4 coverage Daraine Mulivhill who is presenting the program at times is the daughter of Liam Mulivhill who was Director General of the GAA for years.

• Advertisement

Dan man wrote: »
    Hopefully Orla can bring up Paralympic medal number 10 for Ireland in the discus. That final will be starting shortly (7pm). She has a good chance if she throws to her best form.
    Showing Michael's medal ceremony on Setanta. I missed it last night. So emotional...

All the best Orla...:)

Orla's first throw puts her in first position. But I'm not sure the order of throwing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Orla's first throw puts her in first position. But I'm not sure the order of throwing...

Only 4 have thrown so far, she's a long way ahead, but very early days

Just looking at her competition best throws etc and she is in 4th or 5th in PB and SB.

1 or 2 have thrown good bit more, but this is one off night so never know, but on basis of form and past results Bronze would be super.

From my limited knowledge of this event, she might need to throw over a metre further to challenge for the medals once the F58 category athletes come into play. She's doing great so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It seems its not the furthest wins. Your distance gets converted to points depending on the nature of your disability and the most points wins

Brian017 wrote: »
    It seems its not the furthest wins. Your distance gets converted to points depending on the nature of your disability and the most points wins

Yes for this event, the F57 and F58 categories are combined and athletes' marks are converted to points.

did not know that. well that changes things then.

Come on Orla!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yes for this event, the F57 and F58 categories are combined and athletes' marks are converted to points.

Do you know if she has any more throws? I was watching a shot putt event and there was a guy who took all of his throws in one go because of the difficulties and the time it took to get him into position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Do you know if she has any more throws? I was watching a shot putt event and there was a guy who took all of his throws in one go because of the difficulties and the time it took to get him into position.

Three throws in the first round and then a further 3 throws in the final round if she qualifys

• Advertisement

Orla's in first place after her first 3 throws. 10 of 18 competitors have thrown...

At worst, I can't see Orla going below 4th place going into the final 3 rounds of throws....Algerian and Bulgarian throwers are biggest threats yet to throw. Not sure about the Russian, I'm guessing she might be decent too.

World Champion from Algeria throwing now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭noelfirl

World Champion from Algeria throwing now....

And she had gone ahead...

How many get into the final?

Algerian has fired one way out there, Orla can't beat that even with the points conversion rule. Still, a medal of any colour is what we're looking for.

noelfirl wrote: »

I presume 8 throwers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I presume 8 throwers?

Yes, the Top 8 get another 3 throws each.

http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/athletics/event/women-discus-throw-f57-58/phase=atw620100/index.html

I hope they have checked the points calculations again and again this time. There was a huge error in one of the earlier Discus competitions. Very tough on the Athletes involved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/03/paralympics-2012-gold-medal-ukrainian
    The Ukrainian athlete who was ordered to give back her discus gold medal because of a scoring blunder did not turn up to the rearranged ceremony at the Olympic Stadium on Monday morning.

Mariia Pomazan, 23, stayed away in an apparent protest as the gold she had been presented with on Friday was awarded to China's Wu Qing. The International Paralympic Committee has formally requested that Pomazan return the gold medal she was mistakenly awarded.

Pomazan was demoted to silver and the place on the podium reserved for the second-placed athlete remained empty. Australia's Katherine Proudfoot, initially given fifth place, was upgraded to bronze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭noelfirl

With one thrower to go, Orla is in third. Fingers crossed for bronze in the final!

With one thrower to go, Orla is in third. Fingers crossed for bronze in the final!

She's only 5 points off the silver medal position, that's nothing really. Orla also has much more to come you'd feel as she's still a distance of her S.B. at least. Fingers crossed for her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone else frustrated they didn't show what happened to the Brazillian runner who seemingly fell?

Advertisement