Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a garden pond

• 29-08-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the title says I'm starting to dig a garden pond this week, I want to keep a few Koi.
    It's a awkward piece of garden to mow and i always planned on putting a pond in for years, it's approx 16' x 9' but i might extend it some more, the 16' side is a fixed max but i could extend the other side if i need to. The pond will be at the side of some decking by the back door.

I'm looking for any help and advice you can give to stop me making the usual novice mistakes,
    any good ideas, things i might need, any useful suppliers , thing to avoid etc. etc.

It's going to be about 18" above ground level and about 18" below ground, i would like to make it a bit deeper but it depends on hard the digging is and the costs involved. I'm digging manually due to cost (i have plenty of free time lately)

I bought the pump and filter a few years ago, they are the Fishmate 15000 pressurised filter with internal UV and the Fishmate 9000 Pump, I also have the electrical switch box and 32mm flexible pipes.
    The filter is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Mate-15000-Pressurised-Filter/dp/B000WVUJXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346278706&sr=8-1
    The pump is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Mate-9000-Pond-Pump/dp/B000WVPREQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1346278706&sr=8-13
    and the switch box is this one http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/6way-weatherproof-switch-box/p423
    I also have a 8 m x 4m PVC liner but i'm prepared to get another if justified.

The filter and switch box are to be placed under the decking with a lift out panel for easy access and the pump is a in pond type.

I intend the switches to be use for
    1, Pond Pump
    2, Pond Filter
    3, Skimmer
    4, Small pump to run a ornamental feature
    5, In pond lighting
    6, Pond side lighting

I'm slightly disabled (i only have the one leg) so it will take me a good bit longer to do than most of you but i'll do it slow and steady,
    any money saving advise would be greatly appreciated as money is very tight.
    For the walls i intend to use the 12"x9" concrete blocks laid on there sides for extra strength?
    and i've never laid a block in my life but i am very handy and can do most jobs well enough, i'll take a few pictures along the way, i'm sure to make a few mistakes but with some advise hopefully not to many.

Thanks for reading,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hey Andy,if you pop over to the aquarium there is a big thread there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Forget PVC.

Firestone liner or Buytl liner is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

OK, thanks i've put it up in the Aquariums section as well then,
    Sorry if i placed it in the wrong section, does this need to be closed or kept running as i need some good advise?

I know the firestone liner is good, I bought the PVC a while back before i reanalyzed, the PVC i have is still as good as new and I'll probably sell it and get the firestone liner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

I know the firestone liner is good, I bought the PVC a while back before i reanalyzed, the PVC i have is still as good as new and I'll probably sell it and get the firestone liner
    Koi like extreamly clean water. So make sure your filter system will provide this or they wont thrive. But gold fish will and they will grow big as well. Koi aint cheap .
    Also work out how many litres in your pond and then work out how many times an hour your pump will turn this over . At aguess your looking for about 3 times an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to be starting a pond in a few months, hopefully. i won't be putting any fish in it - will be going for a wildlife pond. i intend to dig it at least waist deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

i'm going to be starting a pond in a few months, hopefully. i won't be putting any fish in it - will be going for a wildlife pond. i intend to dig it at least waist deep.

Ditto, would love to see how you get on. Going for the blue peter option myself and hoping to do it on a shoestring. Will take progress photos.
    What size are you think about?

Thats the same as us too.:)

My missus and her dad told me 3 feet deep to allow for creatures to hibernate and escape any freezing weather and ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

h ivote 4 pedro are you going to put a stream running in to the pond .handy way to make sure you have plenty of oxygen in the pond,here is a video that might be of some help to you, jack, http://www.aquascapeinc.com/video.php?q=aqua03&pageID=2 http://www.aquascapeinc.com/video.php?q=aqua03&pageID=2 part 2

A few pictures of the first days progress, just shows basic out line for the pond, I'm hoping to make it bigger into the garden but just testing the ground first, I know it's not much but not forgetting my disability making it a little slower than normal, but I have my son helping me which is great.

Pond01.jpg

Pond07.jpg

Pond08.jpg

• Advertisement

hi .lovely job.best of luck with your pond build,keep the photos comming:Dponddigger:D

Got a good bit more digging done over the last couple of days,
    Will put more pictures up later

If you are reusing the soil,then make sure you seperate the subsoil from topsoil.

paddy147 wrote: »
    If you are reusing the soil,then make sure you seperate the subsoil from topsoil.

Hi Paddy,
    my plans have changed from before, the "garden pond" idea is now a Koi pond
    and will be dug (by hand) having the walls straight down, it's now going to be 13 feet x 9 feet x 5 feet deep with a separate pond at one end which will feed the main pond, upgrading the filters and other equipment over time,
    I think i have caught the bug :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

redser7 wrote: »
    Ditto, would love to see how you get on. Going for the blue peter option myself and hoping to do it on a shoestring. Will take progress photos.
    What size are you think about?
    i'm possibly going to be joining (largish) offcuts of butyl liner my FIL has, but i'm wary about this approach; it's not something i'll be doing without researching it properly first, i don't want to run the risk of a leak.
    i'd say about 12 foot at its longest, maybe 8 foot wide, based on the space available. we cleared out a pond prior to re-laying the liner last year, and it was incredible the life in it, even though there had been goldfish and koi in it. the giant diving beetles were scary looking beasts.

A bit more digging done now, I know it's slow enough progress but i'm digging by hand, filling buckets into the barrow and away.
    The external dimensions will be 14 feet by 9 feet,
    I have now decided against a liner and will now be using blocks laid on there side, just digging away now and i'm at about 4 feet deep and it will be out of the ground by about 18 inch so it should be about 5 feet deep after the concrete base and about 12.5 feet by 8 feet internally.
    Then there will be a much smaller pond at one end feeding into the main pond,
    hope you get what i'm trying to say.
    When i took the earth away from the decking the cover panels were rotten from been under ground so they have now gone and will be replaced when the pond is finish.
    The informal shape will be going and it will be straight lines.

DSCF2412.jpg

DSCF2414.jpg

DSCF2420.jpg

You do know that you will have to use a fibre-crete mix in the concrete mix to make sure the water doesnt go through the concrete.

Basicly,you need to seal/waterproof the concrete

hi vote for pedro,here are some photos of my pond and stream with koi in it .i005_172.jpgt was built using pond liner.jack .

hi . dscf3427_375.jpg

The concrete will be mixed with PVA glue and plasticizer, then plastered/rendered and then painted with G4 pond sealer thats for waterproofing the concrete, 2 coats of clear and then a coat of black G4.

• Advertisement

The concrete will be mixed with PVA glue and plasticizer, then plastered/rendered and then painted with G4 pond sealer thats for waterproofing the concrete, 2 coats of clear and then a coat of black G4.

Ah good man,sounds good.:)

How deep down are you now with the pond dig out?

Looks like its maybe 4 feet deep???

Fair play to you for digging that out by hand.:D

Edit.....just read that you are at 4 feet deep now.

The photos are yesterdays, i got a good bit done today as well,
    the water will be a minimum of 4 feet, hopefully more.

Another day at it, a bit deeper and where is all the rubble going to go?

Got rid of the rotten decking boards

DSCF2432.jpg

A few more dozen barrows full might do it.

DSCF2448.jpg

So much more to get out, where is it all going

DSCF2438.jpg

Got a good bit more done today, I reckon 3 more days digging should do for the basic digging stage, then i'll be doing the base next.

DSCF2479.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Why are you going so deep with the entire pond, Would one deep end not do it,

Fair play to you, keep the pics coming.

ronn wrote: »
    Why are you going so deep with the entire pond, Would one deep end not do it,

I'm having the pond flat at the bottom so i can fit a bottom drain system,
    once i have the drain fitted i can do any number of things with it but it's mainly so i can upgrade my filters as needed.
    Koi need very good quality water and the filter i have now will put me on for a while but will need upgrading as the fish grow.

It's getting tough going now iv'e come across a massive stone bed,
    Progress so far.

DSCF2486.jpg

looks like you're digging a swimming pool there...

Once the concrete base is in and set i'll have to fix up the decking supports
    and the bit that comes out to the washing line will all so need doing as it wasn't done correctly in the first place.
    It might be a while before i can afford the block work but i need the base in as soon i have it dug down another foot or so.

• Advertisement

hi why not build a raised pond ,instread of digging down,jack. 5038450017_cd0ae0b55b.jpg

Advertisement