Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need editing pc sugguestions

Options
  • 29-08-2012 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Well gents & ladies,
    I am a young photographer/editor and i use big programs like After effect, Sony Vegas and all that the programs run well but the when it comes to rendering it takes a good while the specs on my laptop that i use at the moment are :
    Acer Aspire 5349
    Windows 7 Home premium / 64-bit operating system
    Intel (R) Celerom (R) 1.50 GHz
    RAM : 6.00 GB
    What I would be looking for is a fast custom built PC which can run and render programs/files fast I would also like to be able to run some games.
    I do not really know what I want at the moment just that it can do what i said above I would also not have a massive budget, So just leave some suggestions and ideas below.
    Thanks David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Can you give an estimation for a budget? Have a look at 'how to ask for help' thread linked in my signature, fill in the form and we'll see if we can find something appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fast processor, loads of ram, fast hard drives. If you can afford to put some hard drives in a raid array you'd really see the benefits in both speed and redundancy.

Using an SSD for your OS and software will really speed things up too, I have an ssd at home for OS and adobe programs and your standard hard drive at work and using the work PC is painfully slow now that I'm used to SSD performance.

I use a simple raid array at home, it's only got redundancy (the hard drives are clones of each other) I think you'd have to add another hard drive to bring in speed benefits but really I'm trying to protect the data as modern sata speeds are pretty high as it is.

Nvidia have on the fly rendering support for some adobe products so you could get one of those cards which will cover your gaming needs too.

Two monitors are also a real time saver, the likes of after effects can take up a lot of screen space just with toolbars so it can be helpful to have a second monitor for browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You don't get speed from mirrors (RAID 1). Speed tends to be actually very slightly worse. For speed you want RAID 0 (stripe) which is no redundancy and one hard drive fail means your data is all lost. Or combine and 0 and 1 to get both. You can get redundancy with RAID 5 and good read speeds (need at least 3 drives).

Advertisement