Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a garden pond for Koi.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the title says I'm starting to dig a garden pond this week, I want to keep a few Koi.
    It's a awkward piece of garden to mow and i always planned on putting a pond in for years, it's approx 16' x 9' but i might extend it some more, the 16' side is a fixed max but i could extend the other side if i need to. The pond will be at the side of some decking by the back door.

I'm looking for any help and advice you can give to stop me making the usual novice mistakes,
    any good ideas, things i might need, any useful suppliers , thing to avoid etc. etc.

It's going to be about 18" above ground level and about 18" below ground, i would like to make it a bit deeper but it depends on hard the digging is and the costs involved. I'm digging manually due to cost (i have plenty of free time lately)

I bought the pump and filter a few years ago, they are the Fishmate 15000 pressurised filter with internal UV and the Fishmate 9000 Pump, I also have the electrical switch box and 32mm flexible pipes.
    The filter is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Mate-15...6278706&sr=8-1
    The pump is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fish-Mate-90...278706&sr=8-13
    and the switch box is this one http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/6way-wea...witch-box/p423
    I also have a 8 m x 4m PVC liner but i'm prepared to get another if justified.

The filter and switch box are to be placed under the decking with a lift out panel for easy access and the pump is a in pond type.

I intend the switches to be use for
    1, Pond Pump
    2, Pond Filter
    3, Skimmer
    4, Small pump to run a ornamental feature
    5, In pond lighting
    6, Pond side lighting

I'm slightly disabled (i only have the one leg) so it will take me a good bit longer to do than most of you but i'll do it slow and steady,
    any money saving advise would be greatly appreciated as money is very tight.
    For the walls i intend to use the 12"x9" concrete blocks laid on there sides for extra strength?
    and i've never laid a block in my life but i am very handy and can do most jobs well enough, i'll take a few pictures along the way, i'm sure to make a few mistakes but with some advise hopefully not to many.

Thanks for reading,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best of luck with it. Having no experience with Koi myself the only advice I can give you is not to underestimate the cost of stocking your pond when you're done: Koi aren't cheap fish. It may be worth looking on fish keepers forums or placing an ad up on adverts to see if anyone is looking to get rid of some. My MIL gave away her koi a couple of years ago when she had to build over the pond she was keeping them in, perhaps someone else in the same situation would be worth talking to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Koi need clean clear water,so you will need a good filter and pump.

They also should be fed at least twice a day too.

Firestone or Buytl liner is the way to go with regards a liner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

How deep will the pond be? You will need about 4-5 feet in depth for Koi. They will need that depth during the winter to keep warm especially when the temperature drops below zero.

The fish themselves aren't that expensive if you buy juveniles and grow them out. They are slow growers, but worth the wait.

As was mentioned, they need very high water quality so ensure your pump and filter are up to the job. You will also need a UV if you want to keep the water clear, especially during the summer. You can get a filter with a UV built in.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Got a good bit more digging done over the last couple of days,
    Will put more pictures up later

The pond so far, it will be much bigger and deeper when finished

DSCF2414.jpg

• Advertisement

A bit more digging done today :D It's coming along now

DSCF2479.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

That is very impressive, it looks like it is going to end up fairly big. Keep us updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

A few things about Koi.

They don't need to be fed twice a day. ( you don't feed them from late October to Early March)

They don't need sparkling clean water (although you will if you want to see them)

They are not expensive (buy em small and feed em up).

You may or may not need to dig a deep pond. It depends on your winters. If you're 18" above and the same below, it might be fine. If you get hard winter frosts then digging a deep spot in the center of the pond is probably the way to go.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 muller21

If you live near Dublin you should go to Seahorse aquarium beside red cow..great advise and products..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You're right, you need to lay the blocks on the flat to take the water pressure, and also use 4;1 sand cement mix. Some manufacturers blocks are better than others below ground. The dark coloured smooth ones have less cement and more grit in them than the rough looking lighter grey ones. More cement is better. Seeing as the sides will have to be block anyway, it may be economical to pour about 3 inches of concrete into the hole, and then build the blocks up off that. If you plaster the sides with 3:I sand;cement afterwards it will be waterproof. That way you would not need a liner.
    You'll have a great view of the pond from your deck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement