Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael flatleys accent.

• 30-08-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from Worst irish accent in a film, I was going to suggest Michael flatley till I remembered he's not an actor and that his ridiculous accent is supposedly natural. It's plain ridiculous, it cant be attributed to any parish, townland or county in this country, so where and how and why did aul twinkle toes develop his stupid fake accent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ah, Soft day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ah to be sure, to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He's American isn't he? Probably just an affectation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Ah the poor guy doesn't know who he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I like him. He's an accomplished dancer. He provided a lot of opportunity for young Irish people to travel the world with his Lord of the Dance show. He's a successful business man. He's a friend of this country not a foe.

So what about his accent? No worse than Graham McDowell's.

More power and top o' the mornin' to him I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

He's a great flute player* too, actually. That surprised me when I first heard it.

*Not a euphemism.. although...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

CJC999 wrote: »
    Following on from Worst irish accent in a film, I was going to suggest Michael flatley till I remembered he's not an actor and that his ridiculous accent is supposedly natural. It's plain ridiculous, it cant be attributed to any parish, townland or county in this country, so where and how and why did aul twinkle toes develop his stupid fake accent?

He probably got it from the same place a "posh" person might get his American-Irish accent; His imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

it cant be attributed to any parish, townland or county in this country, so where and how and why did aul twinkle toes develop his stupid fake accent?

isn't he from America anyway? I mean, with him not being from Ireland, I wouldn't expect him to have an accent from any parish, townland or county in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

it cant be attributed to any parish, townland or county in this country, so where and how and why did aul twinkle toes develop his stupid fake accent?

isn't he from America anyway? I mean, with him not being from Ireland, I wouldn't expect him to have an accent from any parish, townland or county in Ireland.

Yes he's American but both his parents are irish but that still doesn't explain why he has a fake irish accent. If he was raised in the US then he'd have an American accent, he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Lots of people raised in America by Irish parents in Irish neighbourhoods have a sort of hybrid accent. It's the way accents develop and change over time.

• Advertisement

Yes he's American but both his parents are irish but that still doesn't explain why he has a fake irish accent. If he was raised in the US then he'd have an American accent, he doesn't.

It's said that musically minded people pick up accents easily. Is it so hard to believe that Lord Flately picked up the accent unintentionally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

It's said that musically minded people pick up accents easily. Is it so hard to believe that Lord Flately picked up the accent unintentionally?
    I wouldn't think so. It's so easy to hate him though :D I think it's the big girls blouse.

Johro wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. It's so easy to hate him though :D I think it's the big girls blouse.

How dare you sully the reputation of Lord Lieutenant Flately. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

probably from watching ryans daughter too much, or one of them old irish "comaulia" films.

his accent IS weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'll see your Michael Flatley's accent, and raise you Golf's Graeme McDowell's accent. The f*ck is going on there!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

His head is really square, let's be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

so where and how and why did aul twinkle toes develop his stupid fake accent?

Chicago, according to this vid (close to end @ 1:50)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

He lived in Ireland for some time as a teenager. His sister went to my sister's school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Michael is a lovely man, wonderful dancer and amazing musician. His upbringing in the states was based around Irish culture and music. Hence the accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've met Michael many times, my mom was at his wedding. He's an absolute gent and has done so much for young people trying to make a career out of dancing. He puts a huge amount of money into competition sponsorship and is regularly seen interacting with the young kids at competitions. Always happy to sign an autograph and stand for a photo.

His accent is a bit all over the place, but sure what do you expect when he's lived between here and the US his whole life :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He's a dancer. That doesn't make him musically minded, does it?

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I've met Michael many times, my mom was at his wedding. He's an absolute gent and has done so much for young people trying to make a career out of dancing. He puts a huge amount of money into competition sponsorship and is regularly seen interacting with the young kids at competitions. Always happy to sign an autograph and stand for a photo.

His accent is a bit all over the place, but sure what do you expect when he's lived between here and the US his whole life :o

Exactly. I have a friend with an accent somewhat like his - brought up in the US with Irish parents, eight years in Ireland then before returning to the US, and spends about three months in Ireland each year now too. His accent is a real mix of NY and Galway.
    What I like about Michael Flatley hasn't anything to do with knowing him personally since I've never met, but he is such a cultured man, a real renaissance man - hugely physically talented, but very clever too, and immensely cultured in the best sense. What he did to Castlehyde was fantastic, and a real service to Irish heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

His accent is ridiculous, but he's harmless, so who cares.

Don't think I'd be calling him a renaissance man though. Man with pretentious of grandeur alright. I remember reading this magazine article (Hello in the hairdressers) about his bijou London pad. Dear Lord, the crimes against interior design were almost innumerable. It looked like that gypsy house in Newland's Cross in the Funny Houses & Flats to Let thread.

His accent is ridiculous, but he's harmless, so who cares.

Don't think I'd be calling him a renaissance man though. Man with pretentious of grandeur alright. I remember reading this magazine article (Hello in the hairdressers) about his bijou London pad. Dear Lord, the crimes against interior design were almost innumerable. It looked like that gypsy house in Newland's Cross in the Funny Houses & Flats to Let thread.

But isn't that the regency house that he had restored using authentic methods and according to the style of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

He's a dancer. That doesn't make him musically minded, does it?

He originates from Coleman country. Traditional music is serious business around those parts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jelly2 wrote: »
    But isn't that the regency house that he had restored using authentic methods and according to the style of the time?

Maybe it is, but it still had a coffee table piled up with stacks of glossy hardbacked books in every room. Not sure how much they were into that in the regency period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Salt of the earth lad, Used to like a few pints in Ballyhooly

Advertisement