Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longest dole user on the registry?

• 30-08-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Driving home from work tonight and a well known talk show on a Dublin radio (give you three guesses ;) ) was talking about the troika and how they want to cut the dole.

This man phones up to say he hasn't worked a day in his life and has been on the dole since 1966! No wonder thus country is in the state it's in!

The majority of us are scraping the barrel, and this fecker is havin a great laugh at our expense! W@nker!

Then he has the cheek to say he should be rewarded for possibly being the longest registered person on the dole!

If you have ever been on the dole, how long for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I know plenty of people who have been on the dole for long periods, 10+ years,some people just do not want to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I know a few people who have been on the dole over 20 years, in fact 1 guy i know has been on it at least 30-35 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

dont believe everything you hear on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

cruais wrote: »
    This man phones up to say he hasn't worked a day in his life and has been on the dole since 1966! No wonder thus country is in the state it's in! ?

This country is not in the state it's in because of one person who's been on the dole since 1966.

This country is in the state it's in (hundreds of billions in debt) because of people who would have you think they're hard working virtuous people - think politicians, property speculators, and bankers.

Perspective anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

46 years isn't that bad.
    When it gets to 47, then we have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Well they are a pack of wasters!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭pmurphy00

my next door neighbour hasn't worked in 15 years,

he'll never again do a days work either.

its sickening to see services get cut and he collects his 200 week after week.

all he does is drink and smoke weed.
    and probably laugh at everyone with an alarm clock to get up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Oh fuckin hell....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

This country is not in the state it's in because of one person who's been on the dole since 1966.

This country is in the state it's in (hundreds of billions in debt) because of people who would have you think they're hard working virtuous people - think politicians, property speculators, and bankers.

Perspective anyone?

Well he is not helping it and I'm sure he isn't the one and only man claiming for that length of time.

They should make people like him do community service in order to claim his benefit. Make him work to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If he has to work for it then he is not looking for a job is he. Who cares about the few people on the dole that abuse it if you want something to be angry about get angry about the billions of euros worth of natural gas and oil off our coast being GIVEN away. Or the unsecured bondholders being paid. not the waster getting 188 a week. You are all playing into the hands of the government and their divide and conquer tactics. Just like what they are doing with the household charge. I am more concerned with the blatant corruption in government and disregard for citizens, than a few wasters. At least they have an excuse. Easy targets

• Advertisement

Well he is not helping it and I'm sure he isn't the one and only man claiming for that length of time.

You said the 'no wonder the country is in the state it's in' referring to one factoid. I'd imagine if you tallied up the cost of all long term dole claimants and multiplied it by 10,000 it wouldn't come close to the damage done by 'hard workers'.
    They should make people like him do community service in order to claim his benefit. Make him work to some degree.

Yup. And have a load of bureaucrats paid and pensioned by the state (you and me) to make sure it happens so instead of the cost of this guy being €200 a week it becomes €2000 a week.

Fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

We all know them. The one in particular I know has never worked I quote "I don't like doing what others tell me to" he has a house a number of kids, by different partners and off course nixers.

I don't begrudge him or judge him, but he left school in 1986.

I suppose welfare is cradle to the grave, and that has always been his plan. It worked.

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If true, it's a waste of a life. I suggest you feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In parts of Glasgow there are stories of three generations of some families signing on.

I don't feel sorry for him.

It's his life.

Colmustard wrote: »
    We all know them. The one in particular I know has never worked I quote "I don't like doing what others tell me to" he has a house a number of kids, by different partners and off course nixers.

You say he has never worked and does work in one sentence? Okay, so he collects a welfare payment and works a bit on the side.

There are loads of rich people collecting children's allowance (welfare) are they as bad? The rich benefit from state transfers enormously - the richer you are the more you benefit from the state.

How do you think businesses would do if they had to pay for roads, sea ports, airports, customs officials, policing and putting people through university?

There are a lot more people than dole lifers feeding off the state.

Edz87 wrote: »
    I don't feel sorry for him.

It's his life.

Yes, I'd already picked up on your lack of empathy for those worse off than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Todd Flanders: "Daddy, what do taxes pay for?"
    Ned Flanders: "Oh, why, everything! Policemen, trees, sunshine! And let's not forget the folks who just don't feel like working, God bless 'em!"

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I can't listen to people regurgitate this kind of waffle. It only proves ignorance to the true cause of a financial recession and economic decline.

In fact this plays rather well in favor of those truly responsible for the our cash flow crisis. It means we focus our attention on our peers as though they are somehow, as you put it, "not helping" or responsible in any way shape or form!

It's not the scroungy mate who just finished college but hasn't gotten it together to get a job. It's not the guy you meet in the pub every other weekend who always seems to have beer money but doesn't work stable job. It's not the guy on the radio bragging about his lengthy sentence in a dole queue.

They aren't "stealing" your taxes.

We were sold out by people we trusted with our entire financial infrastructure. A greater power is at play above the goons we have at the helm.

But your mate on the dole is not the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There is no way he is worse then those mentioned by Chuck Stone. It makes me wonder are we doing the right thing, by being worried about either type of people, as you obviously have your opinion on who is to blame, and Chuck obviously has his..

I'm with Chuck on this. We can deal with the Dole huggers later.

Where is the money (apparently copious amounts of money was available during the Celtic Tiger.) that was available ten years ago? Is it hidden in some Vault? Does NAMA have it? (I doubt it). Get that money back first. Make that a priority.

All the extra taxes that are being introduced now, are NOT because of the people that were on the Dole since 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In parts of Glasgow there are stories of three generations of some families signing on.
    There are lots of stories.

Yes, I'd already picked up on your lack of empathy for those worse off than you.

How do you know he is worse off than me?

Do you pick up many other things? You seem quite the erudite fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

What's with the reaction from some to deflect it onto those who really caused the problems. It's not just one reason why the country is in the state it's in. Public spending did and still continues to contribute to the hole the country is digging for itself

Dolebashing threads, public sector bashing threads...
    They come across the firmament of Boards with the regularity of rainclouds over Dublin bay.
    Meanwhile those responsible for destroying our economy are still in their mansions, still enjoying their wealth, often in receipt of enormous and unjustifiable public pensions, laughing at you.
    They live in fear of the day that people will wake up to how they've been heisted, and take power back in their own nation, and resist being bled dry for the benefit of Roman Abramovich and the other vultures insisting that the Irish people should pay their lost gambling dockets.
    But they don't fear it too much, it's only an occasional frown in their otherwise pleasant lives of leisure, because they know they only need to stir up another smokescreen of imaginary skivers on the dole or in the public sector to set you all at each other's throats again.
    I'm so fucking tired of this roundabout. When are you people going to wake up to reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Its terrible Joe, terrible.

Allyall wrote: »
    Where is the money (apparently copious amounts of money was available during the Celtic Tiger.) that was available ten years ago? Is it hidden in some Vault? Does NAMA have it? (I doubt it). Get that money back first. Make that a priority.

Unfortunately it's 'we' for socialized losses and 'me' for repatriated or transferred profits.

Edz87 wrote: »
    How do you know he is worse off than me?

Do you pick up many other things? You seem quite the erudite fellow.

Would you swap your life for his? Forty years on the dole? No education, no work, no achievements to your name?

Would you swap your life for his? Forty years on the dole? No education, no work, no achievements to your name?

No education or achievements!? Why not? If I was on the dole I'd probably have a lot more certificates in my line of work than I have at the moment. Damn jobs, they take up the whole day!

Also you can get the dole after you finish college. Guy could have a PhD.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    No education or achievements!? Why not? If I was on the dole I'd probably have a lot more certificates in my line of work than I have at the moment. Damn jobs, they take up the whole day!

Also you can get the dole after you finish college. Guy could have a PhD.

Don't you think if he had the ability, talent, intelligence and discipline to see himself through education, he'd be likely to have worked at some point?
    Also, full-time students don't receive unemployment payments. So no, he couldn't have a PhD, or even a BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Couldn't even imagine such a meaningless existence. What makes it worse is he sounds proud of it.

Don't you think if he had the ability, talent, intelligence and discipline to see himself through education, he'd be likely to have worked at some point?
    Also, full-time students don't receive unemployment payments. So no, he couldn't have a PhD, or even a BA.

You assume everybody that gets a degree or PhD wants to work. What about people who do a few Masters of a couple of Undergrads that aren't ready to leave college yet? I know some very qualified people who don't do sh!t

What discipline do you need to get through college? Be willing to study for 4 weeks a year with the incentive being if you do that you'll get to doss another year the following year.

You assume everybody that gets a degree or PhD wants to work. What about people who do a few Masters of a couple of Undergrads that aren't ready to leave college yet? I know some very qualified people who don't do sh!t

What discipline do you need to get through college? Be willing to study for 4 weeks a year with the incentive being if you do that you'll get to doss another year the following year.

I told you the facts - students cannot receive unemployment payments. Therefore this individual, if they exist, has not been a student.
    This nonsense is just more anecdotal BS, just like your hypothetical lazy students. I get it. You feel you work hard, and are embittered about it. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about education too. Let me offer you an example of why anecdotal evidence is no evidence:
    I know some people* who never went to school past 15 and are entrepreneurs and business owners worth upwards of 20 million each, even now. Due to this extensive survey of people I know, it is obvious that education is pointless and everyone who never studied is a multimillionaire.

*Two to be precise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

^
    l
    l
    i love college:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

There's guys like that in every town in Ireland.They rather spend there day on a barstool than grafting for a living.These are the lads that will lead us out of the reccission.lol

• Advertisement

I told you the facts - students cannot receive unemployment payments. Therefore this individual, if they exist, has not been a student.
    This nonsense is just more anecdotal BS, just like your hypothetical lazy students. I get it. You feel you work hard, and are embittered about it. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about education too. Let me offer you an example of why anecdotal evidence is no evidence:
    I know some people* who never went to school past 15 and are entrepreneurs and business owners worth upwards of 20 million each, even now. Due to this extensive survey of people I know, it is obvious that education is pointless and everyone who never studied is a multimillionaire.

"I told you the facts - students cannot receive unemployment payments"

WRONG they can, its called the back to education allowance;)

WRONG they can, its called the back to education allowance;)

Actually, you're wrong. The BTEA is not an unemployment benefit.

Actually, you're wrong. The BTEA is not an unemployment benefit.

well its the same money if not more(book allowance) its for people on the dole who ask themselves will i continue receiving 188 euro a week and sit at home watching jeremy kyle or will i go to college and learn something get a degree, still get the 188 euro but create a bit of a fututre for myself. I am on the BTE allowance the last 4 years ,have 2 degrees and am about to start a post grad in DBS so I know a bit about the subject.

well its the same money if not more(book allowance) its for people on the dole who ask themselves will i continue receiving 188 euro a week and sit at home watching jeremy kyle or will i go to college and learn something get a degree, still get the 188 euro but create a bit of a fututre for myself. I am on the BTE allowance the last 4 years ,have 2 degrees and am about to start a post grad in DBS so I know a bit about the subject.

That's rather odd, since you can't qualify for the BTEA if you already have a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

4 years, 2 degrees and starting a post grad. Bloody hell get into the work place and start paying the tax payers back.

• Advertisement

That's rather odd, since you can't qualify for the BTEA if you already have a degree.

?well then why was 188 euro going into my account the last year??
    plus I am getting the BTE allowance for my upcoming postgrad. and im not a liar(david brent):)

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    4 years, 2 degrees and starting a post grad. Bloody hell get into the work place and start paying the tax payers back.

what I do is none of your business.i will get into the workforce when I want, atm I am getting more education.

?well then why was 188 euro going into my account the last year??
    plus I am getting the BTE allowance for my upcoming postgrad. and im not a liar(david brent):)

From Welfare.ie:
    It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level.
    I can only presume you did not inform Welfare about your existing degree. If that is the case, you're guilty of fraud.
    What's your postgrad in?

From Welfare.ie:
    I can only presume you did not inform Welfare about your existing degree. If that is the case, you're guilty of fraud.
    What's your postgrad in?

"It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level"

the postgrad is obviously not at a similar qualification level, thats the whole idea of a post grad:p also as long as you are moving up all the time you are still entitled to the BTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

People who dismiss the unemployed and dependent as “parasites” fail to understand economics and parasitism. A successful parasite is one that is not recognized by it’s host, one that can make it’s host work for it without appearing as a burden. Such is the ruling class in a capitalist society.

*Two to be precise.

I'm not saying he's still in college or even that he was for all of those years. Just because he's been on the dole for a long time doesn't meant he didn't get an education before he went on the dole for that length of time.

"It is not considered that existing graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA to pursue a course at a similar qualification level"

the postgrad is obviously not at a similar qualification level, thats the whole idea of a post grad:p also as long as you are moving up all the time you are still entitled to the BTE.

You said you had two degrees, and received BTEA for the second one. You weren't entitled to receive it for your second degree as you claimed, since you were doing a course at the same level.
    You're also wrong to suggest that the BTEA is available continuously to people progressing up the national educational framework. It is in fact highly limited.
    You still haven't said what your postgrad is in.

I'm not saying he's still in college or even that he was for all of those years. Just because he's been on the dole for a long time doesn't meant he didn't get an education before he went on the dole for that length of time.

I didn't hear the original radio show, but from what little I know about the educational establishment in the early 60s, a period when few Catholics attended Trinity for example and the cost of fees was massively prohibitive to most people, and the premium on the value of a degree was highly significant, that the scenario you suggest is so unlikely as to be virtually impossible.

You said you had two degrees, and received BTEA for the second one. You weren't entitled to receive it for your second degree as you claimed, since you were doing a course at the same level.
    You're also wrong to suggest that the BTEA is available continuously to people progressing up the national educational framework. It is in fact highly limited.
    You still haven't said what your postgrad is in.

i have an ordinary degree and an honours degree.

"You're also wrong to suggest that the BTEA is available continuously to people progressing up the national educational framework. It is in fact highly limited."

well thats what the BTE people told me so?

my postgrad is unrelated to my previous 2 degrees.

i have an ordinary degree and an honours degree.

"You're also wrong to suggest that the BTEA is available continuously to people progressing up the national educational framework. It is in fact highly limited."

well thats what the BTE people told me so?

my postgrad is unrelated to my previous 2 degrees.

It doesn't matter. As a graduate you were not entitled to receive the BTEA. Furthermore, any study at all at third level (even if you'd dropped out) would mean having to wait five years before you could apply for the BTEA.
    It doesn't matter if it your postgraduate degree is related to your primary degree(s) or not. I've given you three chances to say, in the vaguest terms what it was in, and you've failed to do so. The BTEA is only available to postgraduate study leading to a teaching qualification. That is how it is limited.
    The only way any of this could be true is if you failed to give Welfare full information (culpable negligence or fraud), and if you're doing a postgraduate course leading to a teaching qualification, which after three times of asking you were unable to state.
    I'm finding your posts to be unbelievable, I'm afraid. For your sake, I hope you are making this up, because Welfare is cracking down hard on fraudsters and rightly so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement