Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longest dole user on the registry?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So being on the dole for 40 years @200e a week is roughly 420 k. That's about the same as one lousy politician takes out of the system in two years with wages and expenses. Then he has a pension too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

dj jarvis wrote: »
    anyway - i would love to know does that ACTUALLY happen or is it a urban myth ?

Nope, it's definitely made up, just like the news in The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Confab wrote: »
    Nope, it's definitely made up, just like the news in The Sun.

ok im sure your a man of your word - BUT ......................

just like in the sun - i DONT believe everything that i read on boards either,

i still go with urban myth - because is it not true under broadcasting rules that if something is aired as factual but turns out to be staged or managed they have to state this before and after the show - if they don't they could lose the broadcast licence.

but please prove me wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

My fellas about nine inches nd he's on the dole ;)

So being on the dole for 40 years @200e a week is roughly 420 k. That's about the same as one lousy politician takes out of the system in two years with wages and expenses. Then he has a pension too.

still does not make it right , so i fail to see the point of your post

so is it ok for this supposed dole guy to do what he is doing illegally ( not looking for work and claiming all that cash is against the law let us not forget ) , but the politician who is legally elected by democratic process to be hammered for taking home his advertised pay and perks ????

you dont like what the pond scum in kildare st get ??? then do something about it
    and the same goes for dole guy , if someone finds out who he is ( if he actually real ) then they should inform the SW

i really dont get why this is a problem for people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Great, why don't we all do that then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Would a sponger like this get the OAP when he reaches 'retirement' age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the country should be set into 3 categories when it comes to social welfare -

the disabled/unable to work.
    the people who want to work, but cant find a job or cant work (single parents for example)
    the people who dont want to work .

for each category, their pay level is means tested. category one for example would be maximum payment.

category 2 would be close to max or next level, with anybody who has contributed income tax over the past 5 years getting full benifits and then benifits cut by lets say 10% for every year without contributing.

for the 3rd category, for every year they have been out of work, their benefits should be cut by a few %, meaning anybody who has not contributed tax over the past 5-10 years, gets feck all help.

the days of putting up with lazyness should be well gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

while the sentiment you use is correct, the figures are wrong. apart from maybe Enda, theres very few of the politicians on over 100k.

dont forget however, that if anybody was earning 420k, about 40% of that would be paid back in income tax so this needs to be factored into any argument.somebody earning 100K-150k is probably paying enough tax to keep 5 people and their families in social payments for an entire year.

thats the reality of our money problems, we could sustain the bank loans, if our social and health bill (despite 60% of the population having private healthcare and the rest of the workforce having to pay anyway) was managed properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

cruais wrote: »
    Driving home from work tonight and a well known talk show on a Dublin radio (give you three guesses ;) ) was talking about the troika and how they want to cut the dole.

This man phones up to say he hasn't worked a day in his life and has been on the dole since 1966! No wonder thus country is in the state it's in!

The majority of us are scraping the barrel, and this fecker is havin a great laugh at our expense! W@nker!

Then he has the cheek to say he should be rewarded for possibly being the longest registered person on the dole!

If you have ever been on the dole, how long for?

The mans a legend who else can say they were on the dole for 46 years:D

• Advertisement

still does not make it right , so i fail to see the point of your post

so is it ok for this supposed dole guy to do what he is doing illegally ( not looking for work and claiming all that cash is against the law let us not forget ) , but the politician who is legally elected by democratic process to be hammered for taking home his advertised pay and perks ????

you dont like what the pond scum in kildare st get ??? then do something about it
    and the same goes for dole guy , if someone finds out who he is ( if he actually real ) then they should inform the SW

i really dont get why this is a problem for people

I don't like what either of them is doing. They are all taking from the same pot, the one i'm contributing to but one is making a lot more than the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

no- your correct , his is not the problem , he is PART of the problem , and he should be dealt with in conjunction with the bankers and politicians

all this bumpkin about "its not the dole scrounge is the problem , it's the bankers" bla bla bla - well im sorry but HE is the problem

and the system he is abusing is also the problem , as is his handler in the SW office , and their manager , and department heads and on and on ..........

absolving the scrounge because others have done worse is idiotic and part of the problem

it has to be a collective clearing of the system , not picking on one group
    but the people who are taking the piss in our nations time of most need should be dealt with and dealt with harshly - no matter if they are a lazy dole bum or a CEo of a bank or head of a regulatory body

IMO the radio station should be Forced to reveal this guys name to the SW , and we then shall see how cocky he is trying to justify his theft of OUR social fund

the guy is a scum bag - along with all the others - let us not forget that

:pac::pac::pac:
    I can feel the heat off your scarlet face.

I don't know how anyone could do that. I was out of work for four months in 2008 and it was one of the most soul destroying times of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

PucaMama wrote: »
    dont believe everything you hear on the radio

You shouldn't believe anything you see on the radio either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

If true, it's a waste of a life. I suggest you feel sorry for him.

Isn't working more of a waste of a life?

Spending most of your waking life being somewhere you don't want to be, doing something you'd rather not be doing.

The idle life sounds sweeter.

:pac::pac::pac:
    I can feel the heat off your scarlet face.

dont understand why i should be scarlet ??
    please enlighten me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

This country is not in the state it's in because of one person who's been on the dole since 1966.

This country is in the state it's in (hundreds of billions in debt) because of people who would have you think they're hard working virtuous people - think politicians, property speculators, and bankers.

Perspective anyone?
    Colmustard wrote: »
    We all know them. The one in particular I know has never worked I quote "I don't like doing what others tell me to" he has a house a number of kids, by different partners and off course nixers.

I don't begrudge him or judge him, but he left school in 1986.

I suppose welfare is cradle to the grave, and that has always been his plan. It worked.
    You say he has never worked and does work in one sentence? Okay, so he collects a welfare payment and works a bit on the side.

There are loads of rich people collecting children's allowance (welfare) are they as bad? The rich benefit from state transfers enormously - the richer you are the more you benefit from the state.

How do you think businesses would do if they had to pay for roads, sea ports, airports, customs officials, policing and putting people through university?

There are a lot more people than dole lifers feeding off the state.

This country is in a state because of apathy and abuse of regulations. If the banking regulators did their job we would not be here. If we were to seriously deal with welfare fraud we would create savings and have a greater leeway to get the country back on its feet.

It's attitudes like yours that sickens me, "its not their fault the country is the way it is", so we should just let them alone and live out their lives sponging from everyone else. As for the guy I know he does the very odd piece of doorwork if you want to call that a job when it suits him.

But he will never hold down a permanent job, they could try and take his dole and other benefits but he will find a way around it. He is an expert on our system almost at consultant level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No wonder thus country is in the state it's in!

Over one man who lacks power or influence? Fúck, you really have missed the memo haven't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You've been trolled

Very little on that FM104 show is real, they get media students to call up on controversial topics, whip up a storm and sit back for the reaction

Jaaaacinta on welfare looking for a bigger house doesn't exist, it's a respectable media student making a small amount of money by doing whatever story the producer wants

All staged tbh
    listened to it last night, thought yer man was just trying to wind every one up.. had to laugh when he said i deserve a medal for being the longest on the dole! some one on the other line shouted out you deserve a kick in the bollix :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Whether the story is true or not I really think it is a bit of a joke that it took the country to go beyond broke and the fact that we need to get Troika over to tell us that more needs to be done to "eliminate work disincentives and unemployment traps caused by Ireland’s benefits system", especially payments that do not fall with the length of unemployment.

This is so obvious unless of course you live in an ivory tower.

And yet we will get many who will defend to the hilt the people who are taking the piss, you know, the long timers, the immaculate conception single mothers, the disability'ers etc.

I can't listen to people regurgitate this kind of waffle. It only proves ignorance to the true cause of a financial recession and economic decline.

In fact this plays rather well in favor of those truly responsible for the our cash flow crisis. It means we focus our attention on our peers as though they are somehow, as you put it, "not helping" or responsible in any way shape or form!

It's not the scroungy mate who just finished college but hasn't gotten it together to get a job. It's not the guy you meet in the pub every other weekend who always seems to have beer money but doesn't work stable job. It's not the guy on the radio bragging about his lengthy sentence in a dole queue.

They aren't "stealing" your taxes.

We were sold out by people we trusted with our entire financial infrastructure. A greater power is at play above the goons we have at the helm.

But your mate on the dole is not the problem.

Yes, he is. Your logic is insane. Politicans are doing worse, so it doesn't matter what anyone else does? Of course people on the dole are adding to the country's problems. Almost (and in many cases more than) 1000 euro a month to do nothing and contribute nothing financially to the country is no big deal in your eyes? Just think about how many people are claiming the dole fraudulently, for whatever reason. Yes, they are stealing taxes. What else do you call using public money to fund your lifestyle choice? I have no problem with genuine cases, but we all know there are plenty of non-genuine ones.

I don't even buy the 'their lives must be miserable so we should feel sorry for them' line. I've met more than a few 'dole hippies' who think it's their right not to work because they have 'far more important' things to be doing, such as learning instruments, gardening and procreating, yet see nothing unethical about using taxpayer funds to do it. Even one person doing this is one too many.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Whether the story is true or not I really think it is a bit of a joke that it took the country to go beyond broke and the fact that we need to get Troika over to tell us that more needs to be done to "eliminate work disincentives and unemployment traps caused by Ireland’s benefits system", especially payments that do not fall with the length of unemployment.

And yet we will get many who will defend to the hilt the people who are taking the piss, you know, the long timers, the immaculate conception single mothers, the disability'ers etc.

I agree with your post mostly but I can't agree with blaming all the single mothers. Many young girls make mistakes and many manage well afterwards and gain employment and pay tax while looking after their child. We don't want to go back to the Magdalene Laundry time or the little Lovett girl who died on the grotto in Longford in childbirth. Maybe there are some who deserve criticism but i wouldn't condemn all of them in your catagories as they are all of different circumstances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Chinasea wrote: »

I don't see a huge amount of people supporting this person. I do see people suggesting that one person drawing the dole for decades isn't the cause of our current crises, against the OP suggesting a link.

Yes, he is. Your logic is insane. Politicans are doing worse, so it doesn't matter what anyone else does? Of course people on the dole are adding to the country's problems. Almost (and in many cases more than) 1000 euro a month to do nothing and contribute nothing financially to the country is no big deal in your eyes? Just think about how many people are claiming the dole fraudulently, for whatever reason. Yes, they are stealing taxes. What else do you call using public money to fund your lifestyle choice? I have no problem with genuine cases, but we all know there are plenty of non-genuine ones.

I don't even buy the 'their lives must be miserable so we should feel sorry for them' line. I've met more than a few 'dole hippies' who think it's their right not to work because they have 'far more important' things to be doing, such as learning instruments, gardening and procreating, yet see nothing unethical about using taxpayer funds to do it. Even one person doing this is one too many.

If we assume that your man has claimed about 500k worth of benefits in his life time, its still miniscule compared with what the likes of Sean Fitzpatrick who has cost the state more than 40 thousand times what our freind on the dole has cost us. If we are going to start tackling fraud we should start at the top of society. Dole scammers are nothing compared with what the bannkers have done to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know a man who is on the dole since 1979,never did courses or fas, btw he is sixty today.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    I know a man who is on the dole since 1979,never did courses or fas, btw he is sixty today.

I can see how someone could end up on it long term, If you have been unemployed for a few years most employers wont want to know you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What the hell is going on in this thread. Its almost like people are sticking up for this scrounger as if he isn't as bad as Seanie or Bertie et al...

I couldnt care less he is as bad as them. Sick of people in Ireland who say sure its grand, a scrounger is a scrounger whether he takes a 100 quid or 100 million quid :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

realies wrote: »

Sad b"stard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

The majority of us are scraping the barrel

We're not, but shhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

PucaMama wrote: »
    dont believe everything you hear on the radio

This. Knew a guy a few years back when I worked in An Post who had a sideline of being the controversial guest caller on the controversial radio show that we're talking about. He was a wind up merchant, the radio equivalent of a troll. Said he wasn't the only one who they paid to ring up and wind the listerners up.

I don't doubt there are some people who are on the dole 35 years but I do doubt that they'd be ringing up boasting about it and then saying they should get an extra payment for being Ireland's longest dole bludger. Total setup IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Begorrah and BeJasus !

RATM wrote: »
    This. Knew a guy a few years back when I worked in An Post who had a sideline of being the controversial guest caller on the controversial radio show that we're talking about. He was a wind up merchant, the radio equivalent of a troll. Said he wasn't the only one who they paid to ring up and wind the listerners up.

I don't doubt there are some people who are on the dole 35 years but I do doubt that they'd be ringing up boasting about it and then saying they should get an extra payment for being Ireland's longest dole bludger. Total setup IMO.

Thats interesting, any idea how much your freind was payed to be a guest caller ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Jumboman wrote: »
    Thats interesting, any idea how much your freind was payed to be a guest caller ?

I knew someone who the same phone show rang just to be controversial, they didnt get any money but would be sent stuff at christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

Dolebashing threads, public sector bashing threads...
    They come across the firmament of Boards with the regularity of rainclouds over Dublin bay.
    Meanwhile those responsible for destroying our economy are still in their mansions, still enjoying their wealth, often in receipt of enormous and unjustifiable public pensions, laughing at you.
    They live in fear of the day that people will wake up to how they've been heisted, and take power back in their own nation, and resist being bled dry for the benefit of Roman Abramovich and the other vultures insisting that the Irish people should pay their lost gambling dockets.
    But they don't fear it too much, it's only an occasional frown in their otherwise pleasant lives of leisure, because they know they only need to stir up another smokescreen of imaginary skivers on the dole or in the public sector to set you all at each other's throats again.
    I'm so fucking tired of this roundabout. When are you people going to wake up to reality?

Dont fecking read it so. For the last number of years there have been a lot of these threads but there have equally been a huge number of threads discussing bankers, politicians, greed, property developers, the trioka, unsecured bondholders and every other possible cause of the debt crisis. People are free, within the bounds of boards rules to discuss whatever they like.

I for one feel that this is one good example of the waste in the system that needs to be cut out before we discuss cutting frontline public sector staff wages or imposing taxes on ordinary citizens (for other examples look at the layers of bureaucracy in the civil service and the lack of performance management).

I fully understand there are no jobs out there at the minute to provide the long term unemployed but systems should be put in place to ensure people dont get a free ride just because they dont want to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

If we assume that your man has claimed about 500k worth of benefits in his life time, its still miniscule compared with what the likes of Sean Fitzpatrick who has cost the state more than 40 thousand times what our freind on the dole has cost us. If we are going to start tackling fraud we should start at the top of society. Dole scammers are nothing compared with what the bannkers have done to us.

They are in quantity and it is an ongoing yearly expense. I don't know why you bother even bringing that retarded point up. We have no control over these shocks, we have some control over welfare spongers. Also just because fitzpatrick did what he did, does not excuse or negate welfare abuse, its a separate issue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

46 years on the dole and assuming he was 18 when he first signed on? Doesn't sound right, as he's at least 64 now. Doesn't the SW pension these people off long before 64. Technical difference perhaps, but they would not have been on JBA for good while, afaik.

What was the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Why do people consistently link bankers and people on the dole? Just because politicians/bankers bankrupted the country with bad decisions/fraud, that doesn't make it ok for the minority of people who have continued to exacerbate the problem by adding to the enormous social welfare bill for years, even when there were alternatives. It's your responsibility to support yourself when it's possible. People defending the minority who consistently refused to work, even through times when there were migrants with 2/3 jobs, are deluded. People who have been on the dole for 10+ years should be cut off. Don't tell me that there's anyone in this country who has been actively seeking a job that long without any success. It's complete bullsh*t.

If true, wouldn't suprise me. Some people have no shame sucking from the Government tit for years.

I know someone whos been on it for over 15. getting a job just dosent compute with him.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

No I never asked. He would only do it about once a month as he said they had several callers whose job it was to stoke up some flames with something controversial. They mustn't want the same callers too frequently or it might look suss. I think the radio station is charging to send in texts too so they make a few quid off it.

Advertisement