Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Files

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

giftgrub wrote: »
    Quick one about these...

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files-v-1-John-Wagner/9781904265795

Are the Judge Dredd Case files every Dredd story ever?

Thinking about re-visiting my youth....

Apparently according to Wikipedia, the Case Files are stories from 2000AD and the Megazine. Stories from annuals and specials are collected in the Restricted Files collections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

There are also some stories missing due to legal issues but other than that they are a really good way of getting into Dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Yes, from Prog 2 onwards they're collecting every issue of Dredd from 2000AD and later, the Megazine (which starts up around Case Files 14). The first nine or ten are b&w and then they become colour. And they're extremely good!

The only things missing from the Case Files are an episode from The Cursed Earth in volume 2 where Dredd has an LSD-type freakout and comes across some sort of McDonalds type thing. They got into legal trouble for infringing on copyright. Also: The Dead Man and America are in their own separate volumes as they're technically considered off-shoots to the core Judge Dredd strip.

All the stories from annuals and specials are collected in The Restricted Files volumes 01 through 04. The Case Files are currently up to volume 19 and are right now languishing in that awful period where Garth Ennis, Mark Millar and Grant Morrison are trying and failing to get Dredd right :) (Saying that, many of the Ennis stories hold up surprisingly well and they're often worth it for the art). So around Prog 850 or so is where they're at.

For newcomers to Dredd, I'd recommend starting off with Case Files 03 and 05. Case Files 3 is the Judge Child Quest and (I think) the first appearance of Judge Death whilst Case Files 05 is Block Mania and The Apocalypse War. Case Files 01 is really only interesting after you're more familiar with Dredd and MC-1 as at the very beginning of the comic they're still trying to figure out the character and his world. So Case Files 01 is a bit more experimental and inconsistent with what the strip would later become and not the best starting off point for newcomers.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

The first few Casefiles are only a tenner in HMV right now, thought I'd let ya's know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Saruwatari wrote: »
    The first few Casefiles are only a tenner in HMV right now, thought I'd let ya's know.

Hmm sounds interesting...might treat myself to one or two

Which HMV was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Which HMV was that?

I only visited the one on Henry St., but their website has them in stock so most if not all stores should have em really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Which HMV was that?
    also FP are selling all Dredd/2000ad graphics with 20% off. well worth checking out.
    In relation to the case files, They carry all the Dredd story from 2000ad and the Dredd Megazine Excluding the special editions like the christmas annuals and the summer specials. But You might also like to look for some of the American Dredd storeys and the Stallone movie based spin off ( That lasted about 10 issues) that was aimed at Younger readers. I'm working My way trough a lot of the old stuff at the moment ( and some of the last 10 years stuff that I missed because of family life :P ) And I have to say that I'm loving it.

Advertisement