Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

• 30-08-2012 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

There have been a few instances of threads like this on other music forums so here is one for the Rock & Metal audience.

Off the top of my head:
    • With a few exceptions I prefer listening to female vocalists.
    • I am happy that I can't differentiate between most metal sub-genres. I have no real idea what the differences are between metalcore, melodic metal, post-metal, deathcore etc.
    • I freely admit that I like Nu Metal. I think that a lot of people equate Nu Metal with Fred Durst. Their loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ian Astbury was a good step in to fill Jim Morrisons shoes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't like Slayer :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't like Slayer :o
    Me either with the exception of 1:39 into this song :).

In terms of other popular bands that I don't like I'd add Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Nine Inch Nails and Tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think Dave Mustaine is an astute political thinker and all round good guy.

No, I can't keep a straight face while typing that.

But I do genuinely think that Linkin Park blew QOTSA off the stage at the RDS in 2008. And I hate myself for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I absolutely can't stand Metallica. They'd be my least favourite band of any genre anywhere in the whole universe :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Malice wrote: »
    I freely admit that I like Nu Metal. I think that a lot of people equate Nu Metal with Fred Durst. Their loss.
    This! Except you know what, I actually like a bit of Limp Bizkit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I like The Darkness, they fckin' rip it up. Amazing band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I like The Murderdolls!

I think Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind is one of their worst albums!

I think the worst black metal ever came from Norway!

I actually like a bit of Limp Bizkit.
    Don't get me wrong, I quite like Limp Bizkit too. Parts of Significant Other and Chocolate Starfish are brilliant. The media portrayal of Fred Durst is that he's a bit of a prat and for whatever reason he ended up as a bit of a figurehead and so was used as a metaphorical stick to beat the nu metal wave.

In summary: Limp Bizkit = good, Fred Durst = bad :).

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I really don't like Slayer, Mastodon, Pantera, Machine Head or thrash metal in general (with a few exceptions).

I think Death Magnetic is Metallica's best album.

Production quality is paramount for me, and I often find "classic" metal albums from before the late nineties painful to listen to because of the tinny, washed-out production.

In Flames are my favourite band, and I actually think the newer half of their catalogue trumps the older half (but not by much).

Similarly, with Korn I think they have more or less gotten progressively better with each album, and I find their first two (Korn and Life is Peachy) to be pretty awful records with only a handful of good songs between them.

I think metal and dubstep/trance/electro house mix incredibly well.

That's all I can think of for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't understand why people think metal doesn't mix with electronic when you have artists like Rob Zombie, Ministry, NIN....

I like KoRns dub step album. In fact I love it.

I thought Chase & Status and Prodigy were great headliners for Download. All the metalheads ****ed off to see Slash so it was a great atmosphere and I got right up to the stage. Their loss.

I don't like most of Led Zeppelin's stuff.

I don't like Rush. At all. Sounds like space.

I think Phil Collins is a musical genius.

@ Lord Chessington; I also love the Murderdolls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Metallica suck assballs and James Hetfiled is a redneck piece of talentless shoit!!

There, I said it.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    In Flames are my favourite band, and I actually think the newer half of their catalogue trumps the older half (but not by much).
    I like KoRns dub step album. In fact I love it.
    I like The Murderdolls!
    I agree with all of the above. Well, except for In Flames being my favourite band although they're definitely in the top ten.

It's early on in the thread but I think these two have to be front-runners for the most unpopular opinion so far:
    frag420 wrote:
    Metallica suck assballs and James Hetfiled is a redneck piece of talentless shoit!!
    Joe_Dull wrote:
    I think Death Magnetic is Metallica's best album.

I do, however, still appreciate Metallica's older work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Motörhead are overrated.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I do, however, still appreciate Metallica's older work!

I dont. They are the Beatles/U2 of metal, over rated and over hyped!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I cannot stand Iron Maiden.

frag420 wrote: »
    I dont. They are the U2 of metal, over rated and over hyped!!

I can deal with that.

I dont. They are the Beatles of metal, over rated and over hyped!!

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH! Wutchu say about the Bealtes?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Anthrax are the strongest band of the big 4 :p

Hell yes!!! Megash!t and Sh!tallica being the two worst of the big 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Riddim Bandit

I think Guns n Roses are not deserving a fracture of popularity they achieved. Hate their songs, their genre should be called "pretensional rock".

Slash isnt that great of guitarist, and Axel Rose is total jerk that should be singing in a boysband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

-John Bush is far superior vocalist than Joey Belladonna and Anthrax should get him back.

-Rush are just awful, and I don't get Dream Theatre.

-Korn should have stopped making music 10 years ago.

-I have no idea why there have to be so many sub-genres in metal these days. Metal is metal pretty much. So f*ck off with your metalcore and post-metal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 LanceStrong

Poison have great songs and would be more popular if they hadn't worn that stupid makeup!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Hell yes!!! Megash!t and Sh!tallica being the two worst of the big 4

Not exactly, Metallicas first four albums are masterpieces, early Megadeth stuff is great but metallica just aren't good anymore, mustaine is losing his voice and slayer are just too consistent, Anthrax are still as good as they were 30 years ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

I dislike 99% of what Malice posts in the "Listening to .... " thread ...

.. actually I dislike 70% of everything that gets posted in the "Listening to .... " thread ...

... nothing personal Malice - just singled you out cos you're a Mod and therefore regular poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I like djent. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I love the music but detest the scene & the image. Everyone from young wans thinking they're different to the leather jacket brigade who think they're different. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Nea wrote: »
    I cannot stand Iron Maiden.

Yeah I never got why people like them so much. I actually went out and bought that number of the beast album and while the recording quality/production is way ahead of its time, the songs are rubbish. Actually, you know the way AC/DC have one song they've played for 40 something years? Well Iron Maiden are the same except their song is sh1tter. If anyone plays guitar try this, play these chords A-G-F-G-A, that or a variation on that structure is every Iron Maiden song in existence and it's the sh1tty 80s chord progression that was so popular back then but which is basically neither happy nor sad, expressing no particular emotion other than neutrality and good music, in my opinion, should express something, not modality! But something that moves, unless it's techno in which case sounding robotic is ok.

Also, Megadeth are ass, just pure bore rock like Iron Maiden.

RayCon wrote: »
    I dislike 99% of what Malice posts in the "Listening to .... " thread ...
    What's the 1% that you do like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Risk is actually a pretty good album.

Advertisement