Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like The Darkness, they fckin' rip it up. Amazing band.
    Actually, you know the way AC/DC have one song they've played for 40 something years? Well Iron Maiden are the same except their song is sh1tter.

Do you notice any similarity in these two songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Korn should have stopped making music 10 years ago.

The thread title is "Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions" fella...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Number of the Beast is the worst Iron Maiden album I've listened to, which is out of about 7 of them.

The only thrash metal band that has interested me ever is Metallica. Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer have one or two songs that I might listen to but I found any album quite boring.

Some of the best music has come out since 2000.

I think the categorization of metal into many subgenres is a good thing and extremely helpful in finding new bands.

Cynic's show in Dublin was the only metal gig I've been to which I can describe as being in anyway at a reasonable volume level. I know it's probably not unpopular on here but this whole "Metal needs to be loud!" thing is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Malice wrote: »
    There have been a few instances of threads like this on other music forums so here is one for the Rock & Metal audience.

Off the top of my head:
    • I freely admit that I like Nu Metal. I think that a lot of people equate Nu Metal with Fred Durst. Their loss.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How so?
    It's their loss because if someone's going to dismiss nu metal because they don't like Fred Durst then they are missing out on a lot of top quality music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I can't stand ANY of the NWOBHM bands
    Led Zeppelin are boring
    I also think that you don't need any AC/DC album as, when you listen to 1 song, you've served yourself their whole discography with their monotonous 4/4 beat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Apart from having similar chords and a bluesy melody they're not really the same song. Every Inch of You (which incidentally has exquisite guitar tones) is a lot more glam, in fact it reminds me more of Tie Your Mother Down by Queen or similar bombastic swaggering tunes from the glam era. It's not a direct lift, certainly not in the sense of Dazed and Confused by Led Zep or Dani Callifornia by RHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The majority of women's involvement in metal comes across as tokenism at best and embarrassing crap at worst. It won't be remembered.

The first 3 Dickinson Iron Maiden albums are rather patchy and not anywhere as good as the first 2 Di'anno albums.

Most of what Cradle of Filth did in the 90s was excellent.

The genre as a whole has been on a creative decline since the 90s and has very little new left to offer us, save some individiual bands here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I dislike basalt. Also aluminium.

Music-wise though, its make-up. All the way from early Alice Cooper and Kiss, to daft Scandinavian corpse paint. It just looks daft. Stop.

Immediately.

jpm4 wrote: »
    The majority of women's involvement in metal comes across as tokenism at best and embarrassing crap at worst. It won't be remembered.
    :eek: Can we get some example of what you regard to be "embarrassing crap"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Even though I don't agree with the 'tokenism' remark, the Great Kat is one fine example of cringesome cringeworthiness. On the other hand, we've had decades now of Jo Bench ripping it up on bass with Bolt Thrower. Tokenism? I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I hereby admit having a crush on Sarah Jezebel Deva...but wait...'unpopular'...did she ever do a gig in Dublin? Or did I miss it, because I was in work, as per usual? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Evanescence
    Diablo Swing Orchestra
    Darkmoor
    Within Tempation
    Xandria
    My Ruin

etc

Bear in mind this is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread so no need to get the knives out, and I absolutely believe these bands will be a footnote at best when it comes to writing the history of the genre.

I think all this was done to death in another thread anyway.

Bear in mind this is the "Unpopular Opinions" thread so no need to get the knives out
    Trust me, I started the thread so I know what it is :). I wasn't getting the knives out at all, no need to be so sensitive. I was just curious what or who you were going to come up with. For the record I'd be of the opinion that Evanescence's early stuff up to and including Fallen is brilliant and well worth checking out. Everything after that is more or less forgettable sadly.
    Diablo Swing Orchestra never appealed to me for some reason.
    Darkmoor I've never heard of :o
    Within Temptation possess a fantastic female singer. Unfortunately as good as her voice is, it's the same problem as Xandria in that a lot of the band's output is a bit dull and the excellent vocals can't save them.
    Xandria are also a bit hit and miss. Out of their four albums there's about one album's worth of good songs :).
    My Ruin I'm not too gone on either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I hereby admit having a crush on Sarah Jezebel Deva...but wait...'unpopular'...did she ever do a gig in Dublin? Or did I miss it, because I was in work, as per usual? :(

she was here with Cradle of Filth when they played in the button factory back in 01. I met her, she was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Links234 wrote: »
    she was here with Cradle of Filth when they played in the button factory back in 01. I met her, she was lovely.

So 3 years before I came to Ireland?

I saw her with Therion in 1998, was talking to her after the gig, the only thing, I could say was...'may I get you a drink?' She smiled, I blushed and started stuttering like I don't know what :o

It's their loss because if someone's going to dismiss nu metal because they don't like Fred Durst then they are missing out on a lot of top quality music.

That's probably what i should have asked - where/what's the quality music that sits under the nu-metal umbrella?

If ye're in the market for some decent female-fronted metal bands, ye could do a lot worse than Aghora or Madder Mortem

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Evanescence in particular are scoffed at more than they deserve. Most of their stuff including The Open Door is fairly solid in my opinion, and pretty out there as far as mainstream rock music goes. Their influence goes unrecognized despite the fact that they are to thank for the huge surge in popularity of female-fronted bands over the last decade, even more reputable ones such as Nightwish.

That's probably what i should have asked - where/what's the quality music that sits under the nu-metal umbrella?
    Are you asking because you genuinely want to know or because regardless of what bands or albums I list you're just going to dismiss them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

What's the 1% that you do like?

I'd have to look at your last 100 posts in that thread and chose the least worst ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think Red Hot Chilli Peppers later stuff is pretty good.

I also find separating music into different genres to be helpful.

I really enjoyed the last Opeth album, as well as Damnation. (Not sure how unpopular this is)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Would Halo be considered Nu Metal? I remember that on Kerrang years ago. Class song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

In terms of unpopular opinions, I like the near excessive sub-genres.

Saying something is just metal is way to broad. Myself and my room mate would both say we like metal, but we like so many different bands that the other doesn't.

He loves thrash, I hate it.
    I'm getting into Doom, he hates that.
    Even in death metal, I prefer the newer stuff like Nile, Suffocation etc. He prefers the older stuff like Obituary.

I find having a more distinct name for the style handy as I can instantly get some idea of what to expect.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Would Halo be considered Nu Metal? I remember that on Kerrang years ago. Class song

Chunky bassy riffs, no guitar solo, gruff syncopated vocals; it would seem to fit the bill alright. Yeah, love that tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This song alone blows any of the repetitive nonsense AC/DC ever came up up with out of the water IMO.

That's bound to be unpopular :D

Edit: Also, that AC/DC song sounds much more like other AC/DC songs than it sounds like the darkness one, with the expection of the opening riff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I hate Tool with a passion,a load of pretentious wanky nonsense imo.

This could also be described as the vent thread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Opeth are hugely overrated, and I believe they're only as big as they are because of how many people use them as a gateway band before moving onto heavier stuff (which I myself once did). Plus I don't mind long songs but an entire album of 10+ minute songs gets pretty monotonous.

There is nothing wrong with having sub genres in metal to categorise the wide variety of styles, and people who complain and say "it's all just metal" piss me off to no end. However, arguing over tiny details such as whether a band is brutal tech death or just tech death is ridiculous.

The following are not genres, just lyrical themes: Viking metal, Pagan metal, Christian metal etc.

I really dislike almost all female vocalists in metal - I don't think the two mix well. The exception is Somme from Cerebral Bore because of how deep her voice is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This song alone blows any of the repetitive nonsense AC/DC ever came up up with out of the water IMO.

That's bound to be unpopular :D

Edit: Also, that AC/DC song sounds much more like other AC/DC songs than it sounds like the darkness one, with the expection of the opening riff.

Also Pat Pong Ladies is a great song, can't believe they didn't include it as a proper song, its a bonus track on the special release as a demo version. That and Canonball with the flute solo should be included on the standard release.

Advertisement