Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I love every single last minute detail of Rammstein. I love the stage antics of Buck Dich, I love that Till sings about incest, sex etc. because that's a huge part of what makes Rammstein, Rammstein.

I never liked Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Mastadon and a few more bands that I can't think of.

I am also a huge fan of Prodigy and I too love techno/dubstep mixed with metal.

I too like quite a bit of nu-metal. Limp Bizkit and Korn songs and albums have a lot of memories of 1999/2000/2001 locked away in them for me. I wouldn't however consider Soil to be nu metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Far beyond driven is a better album than vulgar display of power.

I don't see what the big deal about mastodon is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Far beyond driven is a better album than vulgar display of power.

I don't see what the big deal about mastodon is.
    Fully agree with this. I could never get into Mastodon, they kinda bore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I don't understand the need for the type of lyrical content / song titles from bands such as Cannibal Corpse.

Nothing against the music but surely very few people actually enjoy their lyrics. (From what can be understood!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I enjoy it, I find the OTT gore in the lyrics hilarious :D

• Advertisement

Schism wrote: »
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I don't understand the need for the type of lyrical content / song titles from bands such as Cannibal Corpse.

Nothing against the music but surely very few people actually enjoy their lyrics. (From what can be understood!)

It's all for a bit of craic lad :D

Nothing beats going to a pub and listening to Entrails Ripped.... while all the farmers stare you out of it with slurry-filled eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

For the most part, I think black/death/doom metal is absolute muck. There's sometimes exceptions to the rule but I just can't bring myself to try to like them any longer. The ****e vocals/chugging guitars/dark and edgy lyrical themes/band names/blast-beat drumming really ruin it for me. Give me power, trad or thrash any day of the week instead.

Nightwish are one of the most talented bands on the heavy metal scene to date, but are usually written off for superficial reasons, like "they're too cheesy" or "female vocals are bollocks". Tuomas is a ridiculously talented musician, and no matter what genres the band itself dabbles in, be it power metal, classical music or folk music, the songs are always wonderfully written and pleasing to the ear. That and they put on an amazing live show.

...And Justice for All is by far the best Metallica album, even if the bass is near inaudible. Master of Puppets is overrated, I'd much prefer Ride the Lightning, although I have a feeling that isn't too unpopular an opinion regardless.

People who take music too seriously as a whole annoy me to no end. I'd go back to the point about Nightwish being 'cheesy'. Not every band has to have deep, meaningful and insightful lyrics or complex song structures for them to be talented or enjoyable. Simplistic/silly lyrics and chorus hooks can entertain me just as much as listening to a Rush or Anathema album in one sitting.

Simplistic/silly lyrics and chorus hooks can entertain me just as much

Rammstein's "Pussy" springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Rammstein's "Pussy" springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't get Steel Panther and dislike musical comedy in general.

I don't believe anyone really hates KISS. You either love them or you haven't heard enough of their stuff to love them yet. Too many people just associate them with "God Gave Rock n Roll..." and write them off from that. C'mon we all know that song's by Wyld Stallyns :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Schism wrote: »

They write those lyrics for the same reason that people make horror/gore films - it's exploring subject matter that is taboo and shocking. Obviously there's a market for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd pay good money to not see Kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

27 years ago i went to my first gig (Donington '85), since then i've been to Hundreds and Hundreds, here's my opinions of the Rock/Metal scene.

1. I love Black Sabbath and Ozzy's music, as a person though i fcukin detest what Ozzy has become, if he dropped dead tomorrow there'd be no more tears from me (See what i did there?)

2. Marilyn Manson is one of the most overated people ever to be in the Rock Business, when he came out all we heard was 'Most Dangerous Man in Rock" MY FCUKIN HOLE BRIAN

3. The biggest arsehole in Rock is Axl Rose, the guy has just lost the plot and believes everybody is living on Planet Axl. He recently said that people should expect them to go onstage late as it's a Rock 'n' Roll show, yet he never went on late when he was trying to break into the business or was supporting other bands. I also think his hired hands should be ashamed of themselves, they have no creative input to the band, yet call themselves GnR??

4. I hate what festivals like Donington (Download) have become, in the past it was called Monsters of Rock and you truly had to be a Monster of Rock to play there. 1 stage, between 6 and 10 bands, 72,500 sell out every year, everybody had a fine view, no running 8 miles to the second stage and realising you missed Arse Arse and the ButtFcuks farewell gig

5. I once thought like this
    I'd pay good money to not see Kiss.

Then i managed to get 2 really really (20/pair) for there O2 gig, one of the best gigs i've ever seen and i'm now well and truly a Kiss fan, sure, it was as Cheesy as Fcuk but WOW

6. I HATE the fact that Rammstein are German, why couldn't they be Welsh....or Irish

7. I find Euro Festivals far better than UK/Irish ones, in the late 90's i went to Dynamo Festival in Holland 3 times and Pukkelpop in Belgium once, Pantera headlined one of the Dynamo's, a Pantera Tour shirt was the equivalent of 10quid, as was an event shirt, 2 weeks later at Ozzfest in Milton Keynes the exact same Pantera shirt was 22quid, Rip off

Why do you hate Rammstein being German?

scudzilla wrote: »
    6. I HATE the fact that Rammstein are German, why couldn't they be Welsh....or Irish

Because then they would be LlanLljones or Rainspud :P

Denny M wrote: »
    Why do you hate Rammstein being German?

They bombed our chippies

(Seeing as this is an unpopular thread thingy)

Ghost Brigades - Until Fear No Longer Defines Us Passed everyone by because its crap

Anathemas - Weather Systems, is brutal

Katatonias new one, "Dead End Kings" has had no mention here, because its ****.

(Please god, let these be unpopular opinions )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

ed1604 wrote: »

Anathemas - Weather Systems, is brutal

I can get behind this.

Forgot one.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers bore the crap outta me, all there songs sound the same to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

scudzilla wrote: »
    They bombed our chippies

Who did? Rammstein? Till Lindemann as a bomber pilot? ;)

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Who did? Rammstein? Till Lindemann as a bomber pilot? ;)

Yep, that's what Reise Reise is all about -

Reise Reise Luftwaffe Reise,
    Und die Vulkan weinen leise
    In ihrem chippies Steckt ein bombe
    Bluten sich in die Strasse!

Yep, that's what Reise Reise is all about -

Reise Reise Luftwaffe Reise,
    Und die Vulkan weinen leise
    In ihrem chippies Steckt ein bombe
    Bluten sich in die Strasse!

LOL :D

Cool user name you have there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I fcuking HATE guns n roses. Absolutely, in the many years I've listened to all types of music, I hate them the most. By far the most over rated cack I've had the misfortune of listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

-
    -I have no idea why there have to be so many sub-genres in metal these days. Metal is metal pretty much. So f*ck off with your metalcore and post-metal.

Agreed. Has anyone tried to search for a description of 'post-metal' or 'post rock' on wikipedia? Such pretentious sh!te.

Also, Slayer are the most over rated metal band ever. Kerry King cannot play the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Kerry King cannot play the guitar.

Well able to play guitar, its just his solos that are ****..... but in a good way :)

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Well able to play guitar, its just his solos that are ****..... but in a good way :)

Never mind, I would not expect some nice melodies from Slayer anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to search for a description of 'post-metal' or 'post rock' on wikipedia? Such pretentious sh!te.
    You're missing out on a lot of great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You're missing out on a lot of great music.

While I'm not the biggest fan of post-metal myself I have to admit that it's a legit genre with some great bands. Russian Circles anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I generally find that technicality is over-hyped and there is far more to look for when you delve deeper into the way you perceive rock & metal and music in general.

Guns n Roses are great but as a show band more so than one that progresses musically, some people don't like them just because their stuff is so derivative but anyone whose seen their live performances (even by video) knows what the original line-up could do.

Some people don't like Nirvana because of their lack of technical proficiency, but the fact Kurt Cobain wrote basic songs allowed him to inspire a whole generation of kids to learn guitar. That makes them just as credible as any bands with more technical capabilities.

Foo Fighters were a far greater band than Nirvana technically, but they will never have the same cultural relevance and iconic influence. In that respect they will never be a more important band.

The Edge is a great sound engineer, and that's just as important as being a great guitar player.

The Stone Roses second album is possibly one of the most under-rated albums of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Bush are better than Nirvana, so are Kerbdog.

Advertisement