Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Malice wrote: »
    Are you asking because you genuinely want to know or because regardless of what bands or albums I list you're just going to dismiss them?

I am genuinely curious, but that doesn't mean i'm necessarily going to like it. If you reckon there's stuff of merit, point me towards it, i'll give anything a fair go :)

For what it's worth, i don't like Linkin Park, but i don't dislike them (if i had to listen to them i wouldn't be annoyed), i liked the heavily palm-muted bass playing in the early Korn stuff, that 'Halo' song above is decent, and if you consider the Deftones to be nu-metal, then yes, i do like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    In terms of unpopular opinions, I like the near excessive sub-genres.

Saying something is just metal is way to broad. Myself and my room mate would both say we like metal, but we like so many different bands that the other doesn't.

He loves thrash, I hate it.
    I'm getting into Doom, he hates that.
    Even in death metal, I prefer the newer stuff like Nile, Suffocation etc. He prefers the older stuff like Obituary.

I find having a more distinct name for the style handy as I can instantly get some idea of what to expect.

Hate to be pedantic, but Suffocation were formed in 1988 and Obituary changed their name from Xecutioner in the same year, so they're both pillars of old-school American death metal. Nile are in their 19th year together as a band and just released their 7th studio album proper (not including compilations and whatnot), so are pretty far from 'new' themselves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Well able to play guitar, its just his solos that are ****..... but in a good way :)

Ha! I'm sure he can play a few chords alright! I should have said he doesn't play to my taste. I would never tell him this face to face though, he can be a scary f***er!
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    You're missing out on a lot of great music.

I don't avoid this music. I listen to quite a few bands that have these labels. I meant that the description of the sub-genre sounds so makey uppy. To me, it's all just metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

My unpopular opinion is that Nirvana was a complete waste of time

Also, I have an unpopular opinion that I enjoy Silver Side Up, despite it's age and the amount of times it was played and played at the time, I feel its aged well and it is a genuinely good Rock album

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

You say Nirvana was a complete waste of time and then post about Puddle Of Mudd and Nickelback having good or even great albums.

The irony is too great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Richy06 wrote: »
    You say Nirvana was a complete waste of time and then post about Puddle Of Mudd and Nickelback having good or even great albums.

The irony is too great.
    It's an unpopular opinions thread. By its nature it's going to contain posts that people are going to disagree with. If everyone agreed with everyone else then the expressed opinions wouldn't be unpopular would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Nickelback are a damn good live band. Thats my contribution :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Kerry King cannot play the guitar.

I know that's a total exaggeration, but why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Nickelback are a damn good live band. Thats my contribution :P

Not great at dodging rocks though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I liked Korn's Untouchables :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Green Day are still awesome, but Dookie wasn't their best album!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Schism wrote: »
    I liked Korn's Untouchables :o

I love Untouchables and Issues. I think their new (dubstep) album is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I really don't get Kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

On the Nickleback point - on a lot of forums (thankfully haven't seen too much of it here on boards), I find that the people giving Nickleback a hard time are often the same people that think the sun shines out of Dave Grohl's ar*e. In my opinion, Nickleback and Foo Fighters are not as different as these people would like to believe.

Also, I think Chinese Democracy is a fantastic album!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BadCompany wrote: »
    On the Nickleback point - on a lot of forums (thankfully haven't seen too much of it here on boards), I find that the people giving Nickleback a hard time are often the same people that think the sun shines out of Dave Grohl's ar*e. In my opinion, Nickleback and Foo Fighters are not as different as these people would like to believe.

Also, I think Chinese Democracy is a fantastic album!:o

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

BostonB wrote: »
    I really don't get Kiss.

Maybe you should go out more or try a different aftershave?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Creed have some great albums

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Please don't assume from my low post count that I'm trolling!

Bought it when it came out and thought it was rubbish, not sure what I was expecting to be honest. But then about 6 months ago I gave it another chance, I threw it on in the car and absolutely loved it. There's maybe 1 or 2 songs that are not to my taste, but the rest is brilliant and much more diverse than your average rock record. It's no Appetite for Destruction but it's really not trying to be. Great album to listen to start to finish if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Green Day are still awesome, but Dookie wasn't their best album!

Yeah, I think Nimrod is their best album

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Richy06 wrote: »
    The irony is too great.

Maybe, I understand that, but I was speaking more retrospectively about those particular albums as opposed to their entire musical career.

In the case of Nirvana I have never been a fan of anything they've ever done. With the possible exceptions of 'Heart Shaped Box' and 'Sappy'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The only Nirvana I can bear to listen to these days are Bleach and Incesticide. But then again the Melvins did it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Alonso77

The only Nirvana I can bear to listen to these days are Bleach and Incesticide. But then again the Melvins did it better.
    did what better exactly? Nirvana were influenced by The Melvins but apart from a few songs there was a considerable difference in style and vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

did what better exactly? Nirvana were influenced by The Melvins but apart from a few songs there was a considerable difference in style and vibe.
    There was a considerable difference on Nevermind and In Utero but Bleach wasn't too far off for the most part. Unless we're splitting hairs.

BadCompany wrote: »

Please don't assume from my low post count that I'm trolling!

Bought it when it came out and thought it was rubbish, not sure what I was expecting to be honest. But then about 6 months ago I gave it another chance, I threw it on in the car and absolutely loved it. There's maybe 1 or 2 songs that are not to my taste, but the rest is brilliant and much more diverse than your average rock record. It's no Appetite for Destruction but it's really not trying to be. Great album to listen to start to finish if you ask me!

Never assumed you were trolling. However, I did assume that you may have posted that in a moment of weakness!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I think Metallicas Load album is quite good...there I said it! I feel like there has been a weight lifted from my chest, this thread is incredibly freeing!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Since this thread seems to have a venting vibe about it, I'll say this:

I've felt the need to defend criticisms of Anathema's Weather Systems because I started a thread about it initially saying that it's a thoroughly enjoyable listen. For the record, I do like small parts of it, but I recognise the extent of its drawbacks so I'm not defending it anymore :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Elrollo wrote: »
    I think Metallicas Load album is quite good...there I said it! I feel like there has been a weight lifted from my chest, this thread is incredibly freeing!

It is good, well fair to good anyway! It's certainly got some dodgy tracks but it's not the absolute stinker that people make it out to be. It's a different Metallica :)

Elrollo wrote: »

Completely agree with you. There are only a couple of "filler" tracks on it. Most of it is absolutely brilliant. I think they get a lot of stick over it, because it is so diverse from anything else they've done. "Bleeding Me" is probably one of my all-time favourite Metallica songs.

You just got in before me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Completely agree with you. There are only a couple of "filler" tracks on it. Most of it is absolutely brilliant. I think they get a lot of stick over it, because it is so diverse from anything else they've done. "Bleeding Me" is probably one of my all-time favourite Metallica songs.

You just got in before me!! :D

Oh yes indeedy I did haha :D, with regards to Load I feel that it's really Metallicas turn to a kind of folky/southernfried metal. They gave it a fair whack of the stick and still tunes like Aint My Bitch, Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, Bleeding Me(as you well pointed out) and Ronnie are real stand out tracks!
    To be honest after the Black Album it seemed like the natural progression as they seemed to kind of distance themselves from the Bay Area Thrash that they began with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the 2nd half of bleach had Dale Crover on drums for a start!!

Advertisement