Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Alonso77 wrote: »
    did what better exactly? Nirvana were influenced by The Melvins but apart from a few songs there was a considerable difference in style and vibe.
    Personally i think this vid is the Nirvana blueprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AaronPunk

I think Dave Grohl is really overrated.
    His fans have put him up to deity level, which he doesn't live up to.
    In fact, the only Foo Fighters album I really like is their first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

AaronPunk wrote: »
    I think Dave Grohl is really overrated.
    His fans have put him up to deity level, which he doesn't live up to.
    In fact, the only Foo Fighters album I really like is their first one.

Indeed! He's written some good songs over the years, but most of the Foo's albums are patchy at best.

My main grief is when i hear people yabbing on about him being the 'best drummer ever' :confused: He's competent, but doesn't do anything remotely interesting or that hasn't been done thousands of times before and to a higher standard.

I did enjoy his 'Probot' project though :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My main grief is when i hear people yabbing on about him being the 'best drummer ever' :confused: He's competent, but doesn't do anything remotely interesting or that hasn't been done thousands of times before and to a higher standard.
    Yeah kinda annoys me too, generally gives me the impression that person doesn't pay that much attention to drumming and goes with Grohl because he's particularly well known.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Personally i think this vid is the Nirvana blueprint!

Bit of a stretch but I see what you're getting at. Love The Melvins but I see more Flipper or early Killing Joke in Nirvana overall than King Buzzo et all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Elrollo wrote: »
    Completely agree with you. There are only a couple of "filler" tracks on it. Most of it is absolutely brilliant. I think they get a lot of stick over it, because it is so diverse from anything else they've done. "Bleeding Me" is probably one of my all-time favourite Metallica songs.

You just got in before me!! :D

Oh yes indeedy I did haha :D, with regards to Load I feel that it's really Metallicas turn to a kind of folky/southernfried metal. They gave it a fair whack of the stick and still tunes like Aint My Bitch, Hero of the Day, Until it Sleeps, Bleeding Me(as you well pointed out) and Ronnie are real stand out tracks!
    To be honest after the Black Album it seemed like the natural progression as they seemed to kind of distance themselves from the Bay Area Thrash that they began with.

Ronnie is probably my least favourite song on that album!

the 2nd half of bleach had Dale Crover on drums for a start!!

Really? not too sure about that, He played on a few tunes alright, could be wrong though... dont see how that made The Melvins better at doing what Nirvana did as was the core discussion..

Indeed! He's written some good songs over the years, but most of the Foo's albums are patchy at best.

I did enjoy his 'Probot' project though :)

have to disagree if only for his work on Killing Joke (2003) album, some fantastically powerful drumwork on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Ronnie is probably my least favourite song on that album!
    Really? Thats a shame man, what bugs ye about the track? I suppose it is pretty cheesy, but I'm a bit of a cheeselord myself hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Really? Thats a shame man, what bugs ye about the track? I suppose it is pretty cheesy, but I'm a bit of a cheeselord myself hehe!

It doesn't seem to go anywhere......? There's an awful lot of filler on Load/Reload. Load being the better of the two imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I utterly hate "Djent" and Meshuggah are one of my all time favourite bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

If I hear one more person use the term 'djentlemen', I am going to rip their intestines out with my bare hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The fact that 'djent' exists as a genre baffles me, the same with pirate metal. Meshuggah are good though.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The fact that 'djent' exists as a genre baffles me, the same with pirate metal. Meshuggah are good though.
    Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is 'djent'? I thought Meshuggah were unique!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is 'djent'? I thought Meshuggah were unique!
    It's to do with the palm-muted guitar sound that bands like Meshuggah and Tesseract get. It's just basically technical metal to you and me.

Top 'Djent' releases according to Rate Your Music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

They are. The rest is blatant plagiarism and not even good plagiarism at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Zero1986 wrote: »

That's a great little website actually.

/Bookmarked.

Aha consider me educated! That band Tesseract aren't half bad now! Also according to that website Sikth are djent too? Madness hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Some of my opinions off the top of my head, not sure how unpopular they are or not....
    • Bullet for my valentine are one of the best live bands Ive seen in a long time. I dont care that the concert was full of drunken 16 year olds they were amazing live.
    • Metallica concerts are boring nowadays
    • Machine head concerts are boring nowadays
    • Singers that dont actually sing add nothing to songs.Nothing wrong with a bit of screaming but growling is pointless in my opinion.

In fact the following bands are amazing but need different singers...

Fear Factory
      Arch Enemy
      Nevermore
      Opeth
    • Mastodan are like olives, I keep trying to like them but havent quite got there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins is great, its an underrated gem of an album.

Bleach is better than Nevermind.

Im not a fan of Insane Clown Posse, as in I'm not a fuckin' Juggalo, but I do find some of their music hilarious.

Damnation by Opeth is a great album, I love it.

Also, about Sikth being djent, haven't they been around for years, well, way before Animals as Leaders or Tesseract or any of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

One I just thought of, I find 'And So I Watched You From Afar' to be fairly average musically.

Got their self titled album as I was getting into post/instrumental rock and expected big things with all the praise I was hearing about them, remember being fairly underwhelmed.

To be fair, when I saw them live the put on a great show, a lot of energy and really got the crowd going. And I haven't listened to their second album. But I really think there are far better instrumental rock bands out there.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bigbadcon wrote: »
    In fact the following bands are amazing but need different singers...

Fear Factory
    Surely this is going to be the most unpopular opinion on this thread? Burton's vocal delivery is arguably the most distinctive aspect of the Fear Factory sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Agree with ASIWYFA. They put on a very, very good live show and are well worth seeing but actually sitting down to listen to their albums, they only have a couple of good songs and the rest can be quite average.

But still somehow so good[\I] live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

MetalDog wrote: »

Also, about Sikth being djent, haven't they been around for years, well, way before Animals as Leaders or Tesseract or any of them?

anyone that came after meshuggah and sounds any bit mental get called djent, but they were around before the phrase was coined.

Malice wrote: »
    Surely this is going to be the most unpopular opinion on this thread? Burton's vocal delivery is arguably the most distinctive aspect of the Fear Factory sound.

Ok on second thoughts Im going to take this one back... The majority of his vocals are quite good but I hate the way he sings the chorus' to a lot of songs....

It reminds me of when the doctor looks down your throat and asks you to say "aaaaaaaa"

Example at 1.45 in this song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Singers that dont actually sing add nothing to songs.Nothing wrong with a bit of screaming but growling is pointless in my opinion.
    I hate the way he sings the chorus' to a lot of songs....

It reminds me of when the doctor looks down your throat and asks you to say "aaaaaaaa"
    The second quote made me smile but if you don't like growling and you don't like singing, what kind of vocals do you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I love everything by Korn. Even got some artwork from SYOTOS tattooed on me leg.

Yes I know theyre not technically metal so shut up amd get off your high horse.

Moving on.
    I dont like Iron maiden or pantera.
    I hate death metal. Vocally awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

They are. The rest is blatant plagiarism and not even good plagiarism at that.

Nonsense, how are other bands plagiarising? Sure, they're taking an influence, but every other band on the planet are guilty of that too, Meshuggah included.
    They are an absolutely mindblowing band, one of my favourites of all time, but you can hear the big influences/similarities a mile away (Cynic, Atheist and Watchtower's use of off-kilter, jazzy rhythms). The most unique facet of their sound (for me) is Thordendal's lead playing, which is so obviously influenced by Allan Holdsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

[*]Machine head concerts are boring nowadays

*****Must resist the urge to ban*****

:P:P:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    The second quote made me smile but if you don't like growling and you don't like singing, what kind of vocals do you like?

Ok singers I do like:

Corey Taylor
    Howard Jones
    Myles Kennedy
    Devin Townsend
    Phil Anselmo
    Robb Flynn

I just like a bit of singing mixed up with the heavier stuff and I think you should be able to make out most of what the singer is saying.

I love the guitars and heavy drums etc but I dont see what value the singer is adding to this for example...

For that very reason Im a big fan of Jeff Loomis, all the awesome metal but no dog chewing on the microphone growling.

Advertisement