Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Unpopular Rock & Metal Opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't think slipknot are good live. 2/3 members just run around adding exactly nothing. Maybe I'm too old for their market group, even though everyone my age who likes metal, likes them.

I don't think there is a nu-metal group that I like/think are good. Maybe that explains the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

great thread.
    as a huge tool fan, i finely realised why my friends thought they were pretentious when they released 10000 days. what a bore. Load is one of my favourite metallica albums and bleeding me is my favourite metallica song. and finally will haven completely stole the show on fear factory in the sfx in 1999. mushroomhead were awesome at the ozzfest in punchestown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

cosatron wrote: »
    great thread.
    as a huge tool fan, i finely realised why my friends thought they were pretentious when they released 10000 days. what a bore. Load is one of my favourite metallica albums and bleeding me is my favourite metallica song. and finally will haven completely stole the show on fear factory in the sfx in 1999. mushroomhead were awesome at the ozzfest in punchestown

/thread. we have the most unpopular opinion right here. I respectfully disagree with all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

/thread. we have the most unpopular opinion right here. I respectfully disagree with all of that.

thank you, what do i win.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I respectfully disagree with all of that.
    Hang on, you can't disagree with all of it unless you also disagree that cosatron is a huge tool fan :p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I like Nickleback

(except for that song rockstar)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Nonsense, how are other bands plagiarising? Sure, they're taking an influence, but every other band on the planet are guilty of that too, Meshuggah included.
    They are an absolutely mindblowing band, one of my favourites of all time, but you can hear the big influences/similarities a mile away (Cynic, Atheist and Watchtower's use of off-kilter, jazzy rhythms). The most unique facet of their sound (for me) is Thordendal's lead playing, which is so obviously influenced by Allan Holdsworth.

Alright, you've got a good point there.

Maybe calling them plagiarists is a bit strong I'll admit. It's just I've been a fan of Meshuggah since the late 90's and I just don't really like them being lumped in with these other bands as if they were somehow the same. To me, Gojira and SYL would be closer to Meshuggahs vibe than any of these so called "Djent" bands.

Part of Meshuggahs appeal (to me at least) is that they were and still are unique. They may not be the first to incorporate jazzy type rhythms into their music but I still would not put them in the same bracket as Cynic, Atheist etc. (both decent bands too)

Have never listened to Watchtower, will get on that immediately!

Of this new generation of 7/8 string metal bands, the only one to impress me so far has been Animals As Leaders, partly due to the fact there are no vocals. I cannot stand the clean singing of bands like Tesseract, far too emo/nu metally for me.

Give me Jens Kidmans monotone roar over that style any day of the week!

Also, I agree with you about Freds Allan Holdsworth influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Malice wrote: »
    Surely this is going to be the most unpopular opinion on this thread? Burton's vocal delivery is arguably the most distinctive aspect of the Fear Factory sound.

Exactly, you take Burton out of FF, it's not FF anymore.

That said, I think "The Industrialist" is easily the biggest heap of ****e they've ever released. Worse than "Digimortal" and "Transgression" and that's saying something.

What a let down after the sheer awesomeness of "Mechanize". Their best in my opinion. Yep, better than "Demanufacture". Never thought I would ever say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Thin Lizzy. Don't get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Venom were/are awful and have an awful lot to answer for, bringing metal in to the realms of ridiculousness. The amount of ****e that has proceeded them and been popular is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Is that against Venom in particular, or the start of the whole black metal genre?

When I say Venom in particular, I mean them and bands that would sound like them, like Hellhammer or Bathory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Denny M wrote: »
    Is that against Venom in particular, or the start of the whole black metal genre?

Probably the whole black metal genre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Fair enough. Wouldn't be something I'd agree with, but I'm a big fan of black metal so I'd be biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

adox wrote: »
    Venom were/are awful and have an awful lot to answer for, bringing metal in to the realms of ridiculousness.
    But wasn't that their point anyway? Even though they spawned black metal they were always a tongue-in-cheek band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

bleach94 wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy. Don't get them.

Very unpopular that one, but I'm with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do people still go on about how Jory Jordison is a great drummer? If that's still the case, I'll go against that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I feel like I should throw my two cents in again.

AC/DC are horribly overrated. They're alright but they sound really samey to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Alright, you've got a good point there.

Maybe calling them plagiarists is a bit strong I'll admit. It's just I've been a fan of Meshuggah since the late 90's and I just don't really like them being lumped in with these other bands as if they were somehow the same. To me, Gojira and SYL would be closer to Meshuggahs vibe than any of these so called "Djent" bands.

Part of Meshuggahs appeal (to me at least) is that they were and still are unique. They may not be the first to incorporate jazzy type rhythms into their music but I still would not put them in the same bracket as Cynic, Atheist etc. (both decent bands too)

Have never listened to Watchtower, will get on that immediately!

Of this new generation of 7/8 string metal bands, the only one to impress me so far has been Animals As Leaders, partly due to the fact there are no vocals. I cannot stand the clean singing of bands like Tesseract, far too emo/nu metally for me.

Give me Jens Kidmans monotone roar over that style any day of the week!

Also, I agree with you about Freds Allan Holdsworth influence.

Fair points so, it was your use of the word 'plagiarism' that threw me :)

I completely agree about some of the vocal delivery in these bands. It's like they go from a throaty roar to being in a 4th class choir and being forced to sing at the First Holy Communions! I'll defo agree about Kidman (and that's something i overlooked in my original post); he only needs to get a line into any song and you know it's him.

I'd probably lump all of those bands (Cynic, Atheist, SYL, Gojira) together because i'm a (really, really crap!) drummer, that's usually the first thing that grabs me about a lot of bands.

Have you given Watchtower a listen? They've such a huge influence across all these overtly tech bands. Their material does reek of the 80s, but has some dizzying musicianship on it (especially their second album, 'Control & Resistance').

Incidentally, have you listened to Thordendal's 'Sol Niger Within'? Sounds like all the usual Meshuggah influences crossed with a bad acid trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Have you given Watchtower a listen? They've such a huge influence across all these overtly tech bands. Their material does reek of the 80s, but has some dizzying musicianship on it (especially their second album, 'Control & Resistance').

Incidentally, have you listened to Thordendal's 'Sol Niger Within'? Sounds like all the usual Meshuggah influences crossed with a bad acid trip.

Jaysus, havent heard Watchtower mentioned in over a decade. i was never into them but some friends loved them.

as for sol niger, i remember scouring the p2p's for this vid in the pre-youtube days. in fact i think i got it on dialup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Jaysus, havent heard Watchtower mentioned in over a decade. i was never into them but some friends loved them.

as for sol niger, i remember scouring the p2p's for this vid in the pre-youtube days. in fact i think i got it on dialup!

Whoa! That video was fantastic, think i'll be bookmarking it, thanks! It's put me in the mood too, Sol Niger is coming off the shelf and going in the hifi!

Watchtower are odd ones; they've such a big influence but yet i've met literally only 2 other people who've heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Unless you play and have a good understanding of a musical instrument, you cannot claim that X guitarist is better than Y guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

OK, here's the other one that wrecks my buzz. I can't stand Devin Townsend. My son is a huge fan, my daughter likes him and my wife plays his music in the car all the time. As soon as I hear him doing his Opera singer lark it starts to truly grate on my nerves. Ages back I'd bought tickets for all four of us to catch him in the Roundhouse in London next month as part of his circus extravaganza thing. It's probably the only gig I've ever been about to attend where I feel like I'm going to the dentist for some rooot canal work. Wonderful guitarist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can't listen to more than two Meshuggah songs before they start wrecking my head. One song at a time, I think they're great, but more than that and I have to turn them off.
    old gregg wrote: »
    Devin Townsend. My son is a huge fan, my daughter likes him and my wife plays his music in the car all the time.
    Your family sounds awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭few

Jeremy isn't better than Rooster. It it's not better or worse, it's just two different songs. Needless polls. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Hmmm now I appreciate the musicianship especially from the drummer but this makes me sea sick and to me is just complex off time beats for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Rock and metal bands I don't like contrary to popular opinion:

AC/DC - Although I respect their genuine enthusiasm and energy, I think the songs are incredibly unimaginative and repetetive.

Opeth - These guys do absolutely nothing for me.

Slayer - A few good tracks, nothing more.

The Foo Fighters - 100% pure muck.

Dream Theater - I've done heavier, more intense farts than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I love the music but detest the scene & the image. Everyone from young wans thinking they're different to the leather jacket brigade who think they're different. Sorry.

This 100%.

If I start seeing a girl, despite the many warnings I give, the look of shock when they want to hear my favourite artists and I play a Slayer or CoF song is great fun!

Back OT,

AC/DC are awful.
    And drums take far more skill to master than guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    And drums take far more skill to master than guitar

I would have thought this to be well known. Drumming is hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Schism wrote: »
    I would have thought this to be well known. Drumming is hard!

Unless you play in AC/DC...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Unless you play in AC/DC...

Or Lars Ulrich, apart from Dyers Eve ;)

Advertisement