Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy it depends what you're talking about. Really you should follow recipes, they're exact measurements not suggestions, but if you're talking 10ml more or less than the 150ml of alcohol it'd be fine, not things like 200g of flour instead of 150g etc.

Well the flour/butter/sugar/spices etc was exact.
    But i slightly winger the booze and fruit :D

Its out of the oven and cooling away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Hi all,

Another question.... I'm following delia's recipe.

I've the fruit soaking in alcohol since 2 today and will be baking tomorrow. Just had a peek there at it and the fruit doesn't seem to have plumped up at all.

Is 3 tbsp of alcohol really enough for the amount of fruit ?

Also I plan on making 3 cakes altogether but one family member says an 8inch cake will be too big. So if I halve the ingredient amounts do I also halve the cooking time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

lachin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've the fruit soaking in alcohol since 2 today and will be baking tomorrow. Just had a peek there at it and the fruit doesn't seem to have plumped up at all.

Also I plan on making 3 cakes altogether but one family member says an 8inch cake will be too big. So if I halve the ingredient amounts do I also halve the cooking time?

I ended up using about 150mls of brandy to soak the fruit, but that's because I bought a whole bottle just for the cake and I didn't want it going to waste :D. Even then, the fruit didn't look very plump.

As for cooking times, I've no idea. Are you dividing her recipe in half? I'd say you'd just need to watch it fairly closely. Depends on what size tin you're using etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Faith wrote: »
    I ended up using about 150mls of brandy to soak the fruit, but that's because I bought a whole bottle just for the cake and I didn't want it going to waste :D. Even then, the fruit didn't look very plump.

As for cooking times, I've no idea. Are you dividing her recipe in half? I'd say you'd just need to watch it fairly closely. Depends on what size tin you're using etc.

I used 3 table spoons as well and once baked the fruit was really dry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I used 200ml of whiskey and about 100ml orange juice in mine.
    Fruit soaked it up over night.

My cake turned out lovey and moist. It was in the oven for just under 5 hours.

I forgot to take a picture folks sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I made the Gordon Ramsay cake 2 weeks ago and couldn't resist the temptation so opened it earlier this evening. WOW! Georgous cake- really moist. I didn't bother icing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mines in the oven at the moment. Never made a christmas cake before so hoping for the best. :) Fruit didn't look so plump to me either but I put a fair bit of extra booze in, didn't seem like much for that amount of fruit though. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

lachin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been doing the Delia's recipe for many years, and the fruit never really plumps ups, its more to absorb the flavour of the alcohol,the bigger the cake more alcohol should be used, and fruit should finish plumbing up during cooking, ( thats the way it always went for me :) ) also as the cake will need feeding it should be a moist cake, if your not planing to feed it you could add more liquid like below, best of luck with it

for a light fruit cake, ( like a oxford lunch ) the fruit is soaked in alcohol and cold tea, and enough to cover fruit by an inch, this will rehydrate the fruit completely as it don't spend as much time in oven

on cooking times if your making smaller cakes, you'll need to reduce your cooking time,and your smaller tins will need high side as well,
    heres a rough guide to what I do, if its of any help to you

15cm 3 and ½ hours
    23cm 4 and ¾ hours
    28cm 5 and ½ hours

but keep checking as you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trishd83

pugwall wrote: »
    I made the Gordon Ramsay cake 2 weeks ago and couldn't resist the temptation so opened it earlier this evening. WOW! Georgous cake- really moist. I didn't bother icing it.

Hi Pugwall, do you have any link to this recipe?Would love to give it a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Hey guys,

I am only starting mine now as I have been really busy. I have 8 to make. I think I will use the Mary Berry recipe this year for a change.

But I need some help on a recipe for Oxford Lunch if anyone can help? I lost mine that I used last year, which was a page of scribble that was in the family for years. It is only when I googled Oxford Lunch that I realised that their is very few recipes.

Any one like to share theirs?

Also, I am trying Royal Icing this year for my Xmas cakes.

3 Egg Whites
    550g icing sugar
    tspoon of Glycerine
    Sound ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dochara's Traditional Christmas Cake. I think this is the best one by far, fruity, rich and moist. I've been making it for a good few years now, highly recommend it.

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/irish-christmas/traditional-irish-christmas-cake/

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Dochara's Traditional Christmas Cake. I think this is the best one by far, fruity, rich and moist. I've been making it for a good few years now, highly recommend it.

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/irish-christmas/traditional-irish-christmas-cake/

Exactly the same as the one I use!

dchris wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    But I need some help on a recipe for Oxford Lunch if anyone can help? I lost mine that I used last year, which was a page of scribble that was in the family for years. It is only when I googled Oxford Lunch that I realised that their is very few recipes.

Oxford Lunch Cake
    quick all in one :)

225g Margarine (at room temperature)
    225g castor sugar
    5 eggs
    350g plain flour, sieved
    675g sultanas
    125g cherries, washed, dried and halved
    125g mixed peel
    25g ground almonds
    rind and juice of 1 orange

I soak the fruit in cold tea, but you don’t have to

Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees c. 140c if its a fan oven,
    A deep (23cm.) round or (20 cm.) square cake tin. Lined

Place all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and beat until well mixed (3-4 minutes).
    Or in a stand mixer
    Place the mixture in the pre-pared tin and smooth top.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 2-2 ½ hours approximately,or fan oven start checking near the 2 hours, time depends on your own oven, ( Ma’s older oven it can take up to another hour, test it as you go)
    Allow the cake to cool in the tin. When cold, turn out of the tin, remove the paper, wrap in double greaseproof paper, then in foil and store in an airtight tin,
    I find it don't keep great for very long,
    but then, like other cakes in our house it don't have to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Hey, I've just finished making my cakes and was wondering when do you start icing? Should I apply the marzipan and icing now or wait until a little closer to christmas? Thanks :)

Staph wrote: »
    Hey, I've just finished making my cakes and was wondering when do you start icing? Should I apply the marzipan and icing now or wait until a little closer to christmas? Thanks :)

No don't do the icing or marzipan until a week before or so. I leave it as late as possible. You need to keep adding the whiskey or brandy between now and then.

Are you making your own marzipan or buying rolled?

Thanks I will give this a go! Do you know how long they last? 2 weeks or so?

No don't do the icing or marzipan until a week before or so. I leave it as late as possible. You need to keep adding the whiskey or brandy between now and then.

Are you making your own marzipan or buying rolled?

Thanks for the reply. I bought some marzipan yesterday (with no almond essence -hate it!). It's my first time marzipanning and icing, so i might buy the icing too. Make it easy on myself :cool:

Thanks for the reply. I bought some marzipan yesterday (with no almond essence -hate it!). It's my first time marzipanning and icing, so i might buy the icing too. Make it easy on myself :cool:

Yes if you are only making the one its grand to use rolled. I am up to 10 now! So will make Royal Icing. It's simples :D

I have 4 to ice. I was thinking of buying ready made, but could be convinced to make royal icing. What's your recipe and is it a piping consistency or a rolling consistency? Can you stick on star shapes/sprinkles etc. and allow them to set into the icing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You can't roll royal icing, it is for piping or the 'snow' effect popular years ago or you could smooth it but not that easy to get right.

Sugarpaste is the one you roll out, not worth making yourself, lots of good brands out there, Lidl do an excellent one or Tesco's own brand is fine as well.

Taste wise they both just taste of sugar but some people prefer the way royal icing sets hard, my father loves eating the chunks of royal icing that break off when you cut the cake.

I often use both, a circle of sugarpaste on the top where you can write message or decorate and snow effect royal icing around the sides, best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

I have 4 to ice. I was thinking of buying ready made, but could be convinced to make royal icing. What's your recipe and is it a piping consistency or a rolling consistency? Can you stick on star shapes/sprinkles etc. and allow them to set into the icing?

I am going with this recipe this year:

3 Egg Whites
    550g of Icing Sugar
    1 tea spoon of glycerine

Whip eggs til white and fluffy. Then slowly add the sugar whilst continuing to whip. Then add a spoon of glycerine and whip it in for a few seconds.

I apply it with a pallet knife and then I use the pallet knife to make a peak affect I will attach a picture of what I mean.

Oh I found a link too! http://video.about.com/britishfood/How-to-Ice-a-Classic-British-Christmas-Cake.htm Hope it is ok to post links on here

Actually I meant to ask before, just for my Marzipan- Does anyone know where I can get big bags of Ground Almonds? I need about 6kg and can only find 200g bags! HELP! :)

I have seen large catering bags of ground almonds in Buylo but I checked the per kg price and it was cheaper to buy the 200g Lidl bags so not always a savings unless you try a cash and carry maybe.

phormium wrote: »
    I have seen large catering bags of ground almonds in Buylo but I checked the per kg price and it was cheaper to buy the 200g Lidl bags so not always a savings unless you try a cash and carry maybe.

Exactly what I discovered today! Buylo were out of all things Almond. (in a side note, it looks as they may be going out of business)

I went to Lidl and the 5 bags (1kg) cost the same as what the label on the shelf in Buylo said. c. 10euro

I thought I might get them cheaper as I need 6kg somewhere. My marzipan is going to cost as much as the cakes! Unfortunately I don't have access to a Cash and Carry :(

I know they closed some stores, are the rest closing? Must stock up on boxes of parchment, they are the best value I have found. They do great value good quality toilet paper too :)

I know they closed some stores, are the rest closing? Must stock up on boxes of parchment, they are the best value I have found. They do great value good quality toilet paper too :)

Yes I find them good, but when I was queueing to pay today the girl at the till was checking through her shopping so I had to wait for her to finish. The store I was at was really poorly stocked and the prices had shot up. They were charging c. 5euro for 3kg bag of sugar, yet 3 individual 1kg bags cost €3.60. Silly stuff I know, but I found Lidl were cheaper and got all my eggs, flour, and almonds there. Just got the big bags of fruit in Buy Lo.

I buy the currants there alright, I have never seen them cheaper elsewhere, must pay a trip tomorrow in case they are on the way out. They advertised very cheap Odlums flour weeks ago but never actually had the offer available, I called several times and they just kept saying it had not come in, bit of a dodge I thought!

Thanks I will give this a go! Do you know how long they last? 2 weeks or so?

Hi dchris, make the oxford lunch last night, added a bit of brandy to give it a more christmas feel, and did not soak the fruit,(but would soak fruit next time) pic below,( sorry thats my shadow on lower part of cake, not great taking pic :o )
    used the new fan oven, but 150c very hot in it! I'll go back to recipe and change times,
    went out and left it, it was slightly over baked after 2 and half hours,
    but otherwise turned out grand, as in my lot have on problem scoffing half while still warm :) forgot how nice a cake it is, and how easy to do, should last at least couple of weeks, if you need any other information let me know,
    best of luck :)

DO you mean you can put your cake mix into a pringles tube and bake it in the over?
    Are you putting almond paste etc on them or just leaving them plain?

If decorating I would make it in one big tin and cut it up and decorate as separate cakes.

Loaf tins might be fine if you insulate them well with paper or cardboard, biggest risk would be that you get too much drier overdone outside with a loaf shaped tin. Other than that there is no reason why you cannot divide it up into lots of tins. I make a lot of little ones, mainly round though, things like Tesco cocoa tins are great for baking in, in fact anything like heavy cardboard, pringles tins as well, the cardboard does not conduct the heat like metal so outside does not get overdone. I still wrap them in protective strips and line well.

• Advertisement

That looks great! I spoke to my sister and she said that when a recipe says 150c she reduces the fan over oven to 130c. Wish I could turn the fan off in my oven. I prefer Oxford Lunch to Xmas cake. Good job :)
    sdp wrote: »
    Hi dchris, make the oxford lunch last night, added a bit of brandy to give it a more christmas feel, and did not soak the fruit,(but would soak fruit next time) pic below,( sorry thats my shadow on lower part of cake, not great taking pic :o )
    used the new fan oven, but 150c very hot in it! I'll go back to recipe and change times,
    went out and left it, it was slightly over baked after 2 and half hours,
    but otherwise turned out grand, as in my lot have on problem scoffing half while still warm :) forgot how nice a cake it is, and how easy to do, should last at least couple of weeks, if you need any other information let me know,
    best of luck :)

Advertisement