Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller woman beaten to death

• 30-08-2012 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

.....in front of her family

http://www.thejournal.ie/death-dundalk-college-manor-576596-Aug2012/

Nobody deserves this. Hopefully this incident will draw some attention to the true problems of traveller feuds and their culture of violence. The media seem afraid to report any details. It's like they are too scared. In fact RTE are the only ones who even mentioned a feud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

MagicSean wrote: »

Nobody deserves this. Hopefully this incident will draw some attention to the true problems of traveller feuds and their culture of violence. The media seem afraid to report any details. It's like they are too scared. In fact RTE are the only ones who even mentioned a feud.
    There is no evidence as yet that this woman died as a result of a Traveller Fued, that is speculation.You of all people should know better to be stating as fact that which has, as yet, to be shown to true.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Maybe it is because they do not know any of the details, like you or I. Speculating in cases like this is just asking for trouble. Leave the investigation to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I can't see where it says in front of her family?

I don't know the circumstances surrounding this from that article, as it doesn't specify that it was a feud or even that it was a murder (as opposed to manslaughter I suppose).

I hope there isn't going to be too many posts positing that travellers bring this sort of thing on themselves. Whatever the circumstances, I'd guess this woman didn't ask someone to beat her to death or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

The article doesn't say either that she was beaten to death, nor that it happened in front of her family ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

SocSocPol wrote: »
    There is no evidence as yet that this woman died as a result of a Traveller Fued, that is speculation.You of all people should know better to be stating as fact that which has, as yet, to be shown to true.

You are correct. It may not be related to the feud and may be an internal matter. In either case it is still related to the culture of violence within the community which is ignored by the media and sometimes even glorified in "documentaries".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Giselle wrote: »
    I can't see where it says in front of her family?

I know, the first post on the matter has chinese whispers going on already. According to newspapers, her kids were in the house but upstairs in bed. Although it doesn't specifically say it, I'm assuming her husband was also there since he was distraught outside the house afterwards (LINKY).

Let the Guards do their job and leave the speculation out of it. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Did you link to the article you intended to ?

No mention of the woman being a traveller.
    No mention of the cause of death.
    No mention of in front of family.

It says a post mortem is under way on the body of a woman found at a house (doesn't even state it was her house)

Or is all the above the point of your post that nobody is reporting the entire circumstances. If you know something not being reported in general I'd suggest contacting the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Plazaman wrote: »
    I know, the first post on the matter has chinese whispers going on already. According to newspapers, her kids were in the house but upstairs in bed. Although it doesn't specifically say it, I'm assuming her husband was also there since he was distraught outside the house afterwards (LINKY).

Let the Guards do their job and leave the speculation out of it. RIP.

Agreed, RIP to the lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Shows like my big fat gypsy wedding make light of traveler life. They should do a show my big fat beating I got off my drunk husband.

Anybody that knows anything about travelers knows that the woman and children are subject to vicious beating by a drunk husband, not all but it's very common.

Will this bring traveler violence into the media?

Doubt it since the young girl shot in Tallaght didnt, cant see this being any different.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

You are correct. It may not be related to the feud and may be an internal matter. In either case it is still related to the culture of violence within the community which is ignored by the media and sometimes even glorified in "documentaries".
    Proof that this murder is so related? fact is that it has yet to be established if there was any such involvement for all we know she could have been brutally murdered by a settled K*****r basher!:mad:
    Seems you are determined to use the tragic circumstance to stir some up anti-traveller sentiment.

Closed for review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement